Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Front End (lowering)
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
808donn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Thing Front End (lowering) Reply with quote

Need to get some clarification on lowering a Thing:
I know I can use the stock Thing beam but need to either swap or modify arms and spindles. Some questions I have...

* I heard that you possibly could swap arms side to side so that the ball joints face each other like Type 1, is that true?
* If not, could I just install Type 1 ball joints in the stock Thing lower arms to point up?
* Or do I have to find some replacement Type 1 lower arms.
* Would installing dropped spindles make the car too low? Heard just the change to Type 1 spindles drop it 3", so with the dropped spindles an additional 2.5" (5.5" total).
* Can I still run the stock Thing drums with either dropped or stock Type 1 spindles?
* To "slam" the rear, is it necessary to always notch the trailing arms?

Pictures would help if you folks have any. Thanks in advance for all you help and input! Very Happy
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Front End (lowering) Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=669407&highlight=dropped+spindle
808donn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Front End (lowering) Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=669407&highlight=dropped+spindle

"74 Thing" thanks for the link to my old post but was looking to clarify that post & was looking for more insight/info from members...
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Front End (lowering) Reply with quote

1, Yes
2,3. Type 1 ball joints are different from Type 181-it will not work. If you go to type 1 ball joints you need the Type 1 control arms and the Type 1 eccentric adjusters.
4. With type 1 control arms/ball joints and dropped spindles you are going to be very low to the ground.
5. The drums on the front are the same as a 67 bug, just transfer everything to the dropped spindles, but you may want to just get discs at that point.

808donn wrote:
I know I can use the stock Thing beam but need to either swap or modify arms and spindles. Some questions I have...

* I heard that you possibly could swap arms side to side so that the ball joints face each other like Type 1, is that true?
* If not, could I just install Type 1 ball joints in the stock Thing lower arms to point up?
* Would installing dropped spindles make the car too low? Heard just the change to Type 1 spindles drop it 3", so with the dropped spindles an additional 2.5" (5.5" total).
* Can I still run the stock Thing drums with either dropped or stock Type 1 spindles?

Pictures would help if you folks have any. Thanks in advance for all you help and input! :D
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Front End (lowering) Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
1, Yes
2,3. Type 1 ball joints are different from Type 181-it will not work. If you go to type 1 ball joints you need the Type 1 control arms and the Type 1 eccentric adjusters.
4. With type 1 control arms/ball joints and dropped spindles you are going to be very low to the ground.
5. The drums on the front are the same as a 67 bug, just transfer everything to the dropped spindles, but you may want to just get discs at that point.

808donn wrote:

Pictures would help if you folks have any. Thanks in advance for all you help and input! Very Happy

I agree almost 100% Laughing . The balljoints are different and they press into the arms in a different orientation than a beetle. You can just take beetle balljoints and press them into thing arms in the correct orientation for the beetle spindles however. You will need the beetle eccentric adjusters though, as the Thing ones will not fit beetle balljoints.
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Front End (lowering) Reply with quote

I run a 2'' narrowed bug beam with 2'' drop spindles...I'm low but can adjust up or down a little bit. It's not a big deal but I'm not sure what "too low" means for you compared to me..
My rear is notched just a little bit and I cut off the bump stops

164/45/15 tires up front
185/55/15 on back
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Front End (lowering) Reply with quote

Great looking car!
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Front End (lowering) Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Great looking car!

thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: