Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newly rebuilt engine cylinder head temps
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine cylinder head temps Reply with quote

Lil Lulu wrote:
I run your exact setup. Raby CS. My temps only reach 400+ on long grades. 60-65 on highway I sit at around 375. I run Valvoline Racing 20-50. Just came back from my early spring Central Oregon cruise. Lotsa grades. Only once did I get over 400. I always back off when I reach that high for over a couple of minutes. Early on with this engine (now 60,000) temps were higher. I raised my main jets from 125 to 135 and that helped the temps. 55 idles. In Fl. I’d go to 20-50.

Interesting. Thanks for the input.

My mains are currently 115's. My idles are 55's right now, but I'll likely be moving to 57.5's since. I've been fighting a low RPM lean issue (hesitation and intermittent popping through the carbs). Started with 50's, then 52.5, and now 55's. The popping is gone, but there's still a slight hesitation.

Anyway, thanks for the info about your temps and mains. I'll keep that in mind.

I've got a case of 20W-50 on the way. Smile
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine cylinder head temps Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:
running slightly lean.

"Danger seldom approaches without exciting a nerve ending someplace."

-Ian Fleming's James Bond

What’s That Noise?!?
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine cylinder head temps Reply with quote

Read this....

http://www.914world.com/specs/JakeRabyHeadTemps.php

Just a few words from the above....

375-400F
No engine should "cruise" at these temps, not for any reason. Cruising at these temps is a guarantee that under load up hills that you'll be over 400F and thats not acceptable.

400-420F
At these temps the rules change, 400 is the magic number that stretches valve train parts and really where cracking issues begin. 400F is OK for a few seconds if climbing to the top of a hill, but don't allow the engine to stay there long. In a perfect world as the needle starts to climb toward 400 the smart driver will grab a lower gear and remove load to cool the engine some, the extra blast from the fan also helps.

420F+
Well your engine has been damaged.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine cylinder head temps Reply with quote

I call BS on those numbers JR throws out when applied to a bus. A bus and a 914-4 are totally different animals. 914-4 heads last a very long time. Bus heads don't because they run hot from pushing the equal of a 4x8 piece of plywood down the highway. Keep the bus 50 and below flat and level, and the heads will sit around 350F to 375F but once the wind starts pushing back at freeway speeds, or one is climbing the head temps skyrocket.

Here is a photo from Colin when he was here in California 2016, near Baker. This is a totally virgin low miles VW factory engine on his orange camper. His speed is 45 MPH climbing with 428 F head temps. The thread is here: http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=13167

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine cylinder head temps Reply with quote

This thread may be over. I don't want to piss folks off. I also don't want people to think just because the bus is heavy and the engine has to pull hard, that it is OK to run the CHT at 425. I don't care if you are running the engine on a bench, or pulling a 4000 pound boat. You should do everything you can to run it at the proper temp as suggested by Jake. If it runs hot you will kill it, eventually the heads will CRACK.

I am new here, but know lots of people that know more than me on this and other forums. I posted my concern on 914 world and here is what a fellow Tennessean, fellow engineer, fellow aircooled engine lover said.

As the direct quote says:

"420F+
Well your engine has been damaged. Go home...."

This is a mechanics of materials question not an engine question. With the alloys and materials that the heads and valves are made of they are all pretty close between Typ4 and the others. At above 400F things just start breaking down and cracking will start regardless of your engine type.

To accept that it is ok because it is a bus to run at that temperature to me would indicate a basic failure to understand the limitations of the materials your engine is made from.

As a comparison you know the Type 4s that are extensively modified for use as an airplane engine? Here is what they say about CHTs "CHTs above 400°F should be considered abusive, and grounds for "doing something right now" to bring them down."

If the materials in these heavily modified engines don't like 400F you can bet a stock one wont either.

How do I know?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine cylinder head temps Reply with quote

malcom2,

Steve Kent has 27,318 posts on the Samba.
Jake Raby only has 7030.

Steve has over triple the amount of experience here as Jake;
Well-qualified to call him out on these things!

Colin's motor is stock, FFS.
No wonder it runs too hot.. Rolling Eyes

What’s That Noise?!?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine cylinder head temps Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
This thread may be over. I don't want to piss folks off. I also don't want people to think just because the bus is heavy and the engine has to pull hard, that it is OK to run the CHT at 425. I don't care if you are running the engine on a bench, or pulling a 4000 pound boat. You should do everything you can to run it at the proper temp as suggested by Jake. If it runs hot you will kill it, eventually the heads will CRACK.

I am new here, but know lots of people that know more than me on this and other forums. I posted my concern on 914 world and here is what a fellow Tennessean, fellow engineer, fellow aircooled engine lover said.

As the direct quote says:

"420F+
Well your engine has been damaged. Go home...."

This is a mechanics of materials question not an engine question. With the alloys and materials that the heads and valves are made of they are all pretty close between Typ4 and the others. At above 400F things just start breaking down and cracking will start regardless of your engine type.

To accept that it is ok because it is a bus to run at that temperature to me would indicate a basic failure to understand the limitations of the materials your engine is made from.

As a comparison you know the Type 4s that are extensively modified for use as an airplane engine? Here is what they say about CHTs "CHTs above 400°F should be considered abusive, and grounds for "doing something right now" to bring them down."

If the materials in these heavily modified engines don't like 400F you can bet a stock one wont either.

How do I know?

was the head like that when you took it off? Meaning very deep black around the edges and pure clean in the center? Or has it been partially cleaned with walnuts or something fine like that or plastic media? Or maybe really high compression with water injection?

BTW thank you Clatter but you are still teasing me. I know that you know that the number of posts has nothing to do with someone's ability or someone's non-ability.

Also - those heads look like they were used heads, maybe welded up then really milled to raise compression. Compare this to a new AMC Len Hoffman head. (the star bursts are where I left the plastic on it in the garage on a hot day.

WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine cylinder head temps Reply with quote

Temps will come down as the engine breaks in. Definitely change the break in oil after a short while. New engine better to be running rich than lean. Lean jetting and new motor easily explains 425. I wouldn’t be freaking out if I was you but also I would be addressing the issue, richen it up and take it easy as the motor breaks in. These vehicles where sold in an era of nationwide 55mph limit.
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine cylinder head temps Reply with quote

Well I'm very happy to report that, after the break-in period, head temps have finally come down.

I'm now running Brad Penn 20W-50, and for the past few weeks have been driving it around town doing no more than 45-50 (keeping it off highways).

Today I gave it a real test. Sustained highway speeds between 60 and 75, and a long bridge incline (over the Buckman and back). Head temps reported never got higher than 390, and that was when flooring it, doing about 70-75 up the incline of the bridge. The rest of the way temps hovered around 380 or less. I will also add that the new stainless EMPI 4 to 1 style header/muffler setup seems to have made a big improvement in temps (especially when decelerating, temps are quick to come down).
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine cylinder head temps Reply with quote

Sweet. I think you will find as you get some miles on this thing the temps will further mellow out and the overall performance with continue to improve.

At first I was obsessed with checking the pushrods to keep them at a "loose zero." They really have moved almost nothing ever.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: