Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I won 2nd Place with my 1956 Polar Silver oval.

Last edited by billb on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

The show was great. Beautiful weather and a lot cars out again. My only complaint each year is that the Oval and Split class have custom and stock cars competing against each other. There just aren't enough to break it up into modified/custom and stock classes.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

Looks like it was a great show!
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

Man....I'm sorry I missed it! Had my '54 loaded up and thought the weather was gonna suck.....it did in San Angelo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

norris wrote:
Man....I'm sorry I missed it! Had my '54 loaded up and thought the weather was gonna suck.....it did in San Angelo

I waited until Sunday morning to drive out because severe thunderstorms were in the forecast. I didn't want to risk potential hail damage or anything else. Sunday it was really windy but no storms.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

I agree custom and og..should be separate classes, and not be anywhere near one another.
Imo.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

Such a shame to see such a large number of lowered/slammed, non standard paint coloured ovals and splits. They deserve better. Come on people, there are plenty of late 60's, 70's cars to bastardise, leave the rare early stuff as it was meant to be... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

favguy wrote:
Such a shame to see such a large number of lowered/slammed, non standard paint coloured ovals and splits. They deserve better. Come on people, there are plenty of late 60's, 70's cars to bastardise, leave the rare early stuff as it was meant to be... Sad
To each his own...
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
favguy wrote:
To each his own...

Exactly. I don't fault anyone for making their car into what they want. All of the cars at the show were beautiful in their own way. All of the other years; like 58-67 for example, are broken into Stock, Modified Stock, and Custom. There are not enough cars in the Split and Oval class to do that. Maybe one day there will be a Modified and Stock class. For now I'm happy to win anything given the competition. The split that won 1st had a lot of cool customization done to it. If I am 2nd to that, I'm doing good. After getting run off the road 7 years ago and pretty much totaling the car, making it back to the Texas VW Classic was the win for me, trophy or not.
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

Congrats on the Place. I went to the show is my first time and really cool.
Your oval looked great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

There is nothing rare about 56-57 Ovals...The split while modified, could easily be placed back to stock. There are 22 splits on this site alone that are for sale

and, as Mark said, to each their own...

favguy wrote:
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

Maybe they are less rare in the US, here in the UK, they're very rare.

I suppose it's better to mess around with later ovals than pre 55's though if you must Wink
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

This thread was meant to celebrate all of the awesome ovals and split window cars that showed up at the Texas VW Classic this year and not to start a stock versus custom debate. My comment about the class needing to be separated was in no way trying to bash customs. It's more of an apples to oranges comparison. I think both are nice but it's difficult to judge them against each other fairly.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

Sorry Bill. I think they are all great. Any aircooled VW on the road is cool to me.

I agree that there should be at least two classes. Were these the only Ovals at the Classic?
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Sorry Bill. I think they are all great. Any aircooled VW on the road is cool to me.

I agree that there should be at least two classes. Were these the only Ovals at the Classic?

All good. I just didn't want the thread to get too heated Smile

Yes, those were the only ovals entered into the show. There were likely a few more around the park but I didn't make it over to the camping area this time to see if any more were out.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Texas VW Classic - Oval and Split class Reply with quote

Are cars art?
I think they are, it's a blank canvas and what or how we paint them is opening them up for a opinion, and what do they say about opinions, there like aholes....but yes there should be 2 1/2 classes...1 for stock 1 for modified/hot wheels and 1 for middle of the road ie like my56.
I know I'm rambling. Art museum have classica,l pop, modern art p, and they all have critic's
The thing that kills me a out these shows is it's for one's personal ego...you pay to have your car enjoyed by others...whom the crowd enjoys for free....and you win a mug...I myself enjoy cruises of days gone past...
Ok thanks
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: