Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Introducing The Ghost Ship
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

On to the heater box. I have been obsessed with getting it spotless, especially since I found our little desiccated friend's skull in the bottom, along with lots of poops.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lots of scrubbing, with this toothbrush-on-steroids I found, and the bottle brush. Took two washings and I'm still finding stuff in nooks and crannies.

The GoWesty Heater Box Service video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7wgsznvcCE

I started with the upper part of the box first. Oh yes, the box was held together with clips and not glued together. Hooray!

Flaps. The old foam is truly disintegrating.

The upper flap metal is not in too bad a shape. A good scour with an SOS pad to remove all the adhesive, and new tape went on. Followed the video. I used camper tape, and put the plastic clips back on. And they are back in, smelling sweet.

So, the great flap foam debate. Would love some open cell foam. No, no, camper tape is fine. As Atomatom says, don't overthink this.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5943604
And yet I keep thinking!

On to the 2nd part of the heater box. GoWesty shows how to take it apart to remove the long flap. I really need to be able to open this up, I can see corrosion on the long flap and it's really hard to clean this area. I've given it a couple scrubs but it's not good enough. I have to get this mouse dirt out out out. I remove the screws...

The video says after taking out the screws to cut the welds.... but it's not welded anywhere except in the middle. Hmm. OK do a little cutting. No that's not it. I try pounding it apart with a putty knife. Gently pull on it. This is not going to come apart. I won't be able to clean, aargh.

(maybe some of you have figured this out already)

and rolling around in my mind is OPEN CELL FOAM. And I can't get this box apart. So I leave, and tour all of the surrounding home improvement stores and hardware stores and auto part stores, and I even went to Ben Franklin. No open cell foam that's wider than 1/2 inch. FINE.

Go back, and take the offender outside into the sunshine with the blow dryer, so I can remove the old foam. It's not in bad shape, but it smells like mouse.

And as I peel it away.... I find a screw. The last screw holding it together.
It was never glued shut. And I laugh and laugh and laugh.

So now it is apart, and the long flap is out, and scrubbed, and dremel wire brushed, and spray high heat galvanize.

All is well.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Looking Great!

You will be so very happy knowing that you are breathing mouse free air using the heat or fresh air system!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Looking Great!

You will be so very happy knowing that you are breathing mouse free air using the heat or fresh air system!

Dave

Oh yes, I'm feeling good about this. Thank you Dave!
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

86scotty wrote:
Wow. I'm deep in the same exact job with mine right now. It went from the Mouse Death Star last weekend to completely empty. Huge mouse nests in the rear upper AC unit (Ghost Ship doesn't have) and above the front headliner. That one was so bad the headliner was sagging.

Anyway, simply amazing! You haven't been on in awhile. Hope for an update soon. Perhaps you're just still recovering from all this work?

Very Happy

Define "recover". Very Happy
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Great progress. I bought an 84 parts van westy to use to convert my 87 Syncro to camper. It has the same striped interior upholstery as yours. I'm impressed how you brought your van back from the brink. It is also cool you are restoring a van that belonged to your Father. Finally sorry for losing Elwood he sounds like a cool cat.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

What a Tale! A veritable Sea Shanty. Fantastic write up, read it from beginning to end. Love the humour everyone has injected into this thread.

You certainly have lots of stamina having been at this for 4 years. I did a similar restore 2009, but with out ANY of the mouse details you have had to endure.

A link here might inspire you to a few mods while you are finishing up the project : http://www.griffco.ca/interest/vw/vwmods.htm

if you haven't found it already.

Looks like you will be in calmer waters soon Wink

Just had an afterthought -Guy Mitchell singing "The Roving Kind". Appropriate - hope not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W84oDOfMKy4
Enjoy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

If you have that much mouse poop I'd put the whole thing under water in the bath tub with some bleach to kill everything you cannot see.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
If you have that much mouse poop I'd put the whole thing under water in the bath tub with some bleach to kill everything you cannot see.

Good point, no bathtub here, so I'll spray it down with bleach water.
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:

Just had an afterthought -Guy Mitchell singing "The Roving Kind". Appropriate - hope not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W84oDOfMKy4

Enjoy

Hah! Thanks for the ear worm.

spitsnrovers wrote:
What a Tale! A veritable Sea Shanty. Fantastic write up, read it from beginning to end. Love the humour everyone has injected into this thread.

You certainly have lots of stamina having been at this for 4 years. I did a similar restore 2009, but with out ANY of the mouse details you have had to endure.

A link here might inspire you to a few mods while you are finishing up the project : http://www.griffco.ca/interest/vw/vwmods.htm

Enjoy

I enjoy all the humor and advice. This project has taken way too long, with too much time away from it. But it is what it is! There are no rules. I didn't want to start on the dash until I knew I would have time to finish it. I took a little staycation to get going on it.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

This has to be one of the most informative threads on here…I am tempted to re-read from the beginning now.

I didn't have the mouse issue in my heater box (or anywhere else), thank goodness. Absent a tub, would bleach water in a large trash bag that allowed the box to be sloshed around and soak be of any use? You could invert, drain, and otherwise immerse the box in there.

Such a fantastically-detailed write-up, full of things I wish I had known how to do/had the sense to try.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Great progress. I bought an 84 parts van westy to use to convert my 87 Syncro to camper. It has the same striped interior upholstery as yours. I'm impressed how you brought your van back from the brink. It is also cool you are restoring a van that belonged to your Father. Finally sorry for losing Elwood he sounds like a cool cat.

Thanks, now that it's getting over the hump I'm trying to stay patient and not skip anything. I do have a goal date for getting the interior done but I'm not saying what it is Laughing don't want to jinx it. Elwood was good company, I sure miss having a kitty around. I keep hoping one will just show up. As they will do sometimes.
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
This has to be one of the most informative threads on here…I am tempted to re-read from the beginning now.

This is a great forum. I stand on the shoulders of giants!
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

I mean, the screw hiding under the foam strip LOL if I can contribute one thing ...
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Stupit electrical, I hates it Reply with quote

Today after much head scratching, I replaced all of the existing fuses in the panel with new ceramic fuses. Head scratching because the fuse panel didn't look like what other folks had. It has a little add on on the right of two more fuses. What the heck? FINALLY found this thread where someone had the same issue. You guys are awesome! It's the same double decker fuse panel they use in Super Beetles. And the add on is for the fuses for the rear window defroster and the rear heater blower.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7217370

The old jumble of ceramic and glass fuses:

All new ceramic. #10 and #14 slots that operate the blower motors are a bit melty but they still hold the fuses just fine. I gave the contacts a good scrubbing with sandpaper.

Then I started just wiping down wiring carefully looking for chew marks (and because dirt) and found a couple of places. Fortunately they are close to the nearest connector, so I should just be able to cut off the connector and crimp on a new one. My eyes are rolling as I type this because I hate electrical.

One by the rear window defroster switch:

One by the emergency flasher switch: (hey I think these switches are close together. Some little mousey was bored one day)

And here is where my head started to explode. This is the light for the cigarette lighter. OK, the connector needs some attention.

Tracing the wire down, found a little nibble/kink. Sigh. OK.

And tracing down to... a cut end? bundled to the other cut end that goes off in the direction of the fuse box? What the hell, Heinrich? Did this bulb ever work?

MUCH EYE ROLLING. This day is done.
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

But on a good note, look at this heater box! CLEAN. I went at it finally with a dental pick and alcohol swabs. I'll burn some sage over it if you think that'll help.
I ended up taking that foam striping off because the foam I wrapped around the heater core was plenty.

I fussed around a lot about what to use for the foam gaskets (the fresh air intake holes and then the outflow to the metal channel below) . Finally after trying many things, I settled on this stuff. Not really foam, I think it will be good though.

Bench tested the new blower motor and resistor. why are the different speeds set into the switch as 1-3-2? Makes no sense. Oh well, if needed can change them around after dash is back in relatively easily.

Then put the whole box together (new heater core too!) and bench tested it again to play with the different flaps. I would expect more flow for the windshield.. was kind of disappointing. It's roaring out the panel vents. And then disappointing for the feet. Maybe it's better flow once it's in place?

And then for a quick win: rear hatch struts! No more hitting my head!

calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Congrats! Thats a awesome back story! Its awesome that it lives on in your family! I have owned mine since day one, and hope it stays in my family as well. I do remember those days crusing at 70! now 55 to 60 is the new 70! best of luck, its a awesome van!! FYI taking the top off for me was the best thing i could have done, i was able to scrub all the mold out from the inside, fiberglass some cracks, and give it a well deserved paint job.Then fit it with the new 3 window canvas.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

ServantOfElwood wrote:

Bench tested the new blower motor and resistor. why are the different speeds set into the switch as 1-3-2? Makes no sense. Oh well, if needed can change them around after dash is back in relatively easily.

Before you button it all up, consider the jeep resistor instead of that ceramic jobbie. If it goes out, you have to take the whole dash out to fix it. The Jeep resistor mounts in a place where you R&R it without all that.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Do resistors go bad that often? This is a brand new one.

Did I mention how much I hate electrical?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

ServantOfElwood wrote:
Do resistors go bad that often? This is a brand new one.

Did I mention how much I hate electrical?

🤣🤣

I wish we had this conversation sooner, then. Those ceramic ones are expensive, much more than the Jeep resistor. I don't know that they are likely to fail but when I rehabbed my heater box, I was alarmed to see how the plastic was bubbled around the resistor. If you leave the fan/blower on low, that's where the resistor is hottest and I decided to go a different way on mine.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Wow, ok. Well I've already spent the money so I might as well use it. I didn't see any signs if heat damage in the heater box with the old one. Maybe I'll get lucky!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: