Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RMW exhaust - need specific info on how loud.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Portiesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: RMW exhaust - need specific info on how loud. Reply with quote

Hi all, hoping someone out there can help me with my decision.
I’m almost finished converting my 1991 automatic DOKA to a manual with a 2005 EJ25 motor and reverse Subaru 5sp using one of Dave Clymers excellent shift kits. I have used a RMW engine carrier bar and a set of their stainless steel exhaust headers and heat shield setup.
Now I Need to select an appropriate muffler which is where I need to help. Here in South Australia, we have very specific requirements when it come to vehicle noise. When I take the vehicle for inspection they will measure the loudness 2meters behind the tail pipe with the car at 3000rpm, and it is required to be less than 90db.
Does anyone out there running either the magnaflow straight through muffler or the offset stealth muffler have access to a sound measuring device that can simulate the test for me so I can select the most appropriate muffler for my instal? (I’m led to believe that there are some phone apps that will do this although I don’t know how accurate they are or if they are free downloads.)
Thanks for helping if you can.
Cheers
Ian
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: RMW exhaust - need specific info on how loud. Reply with quote

Just do yourself a favour and get a Walker that fits the space/tube offset requirements. I have a friend with a Vanaru conversion and it looks stupid going down the road: its a German Driving Apartment with a Boy Racer exhaust note!!

Not for me!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alluvial Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: RMW exhaust - need specific info on how loud. Reply with quote

90 dB is quite loud for a vehicle at 3000 rpm, especially a Van. I know Laguna Seca race tack in Monterey, CA has a dB limit of 92 and that's at a race track so I can't imagine a Van at 3000 rpm being near that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: RMW exhaust - need specific info on how loud. Reply with quote

OP, am I right that you're concerned it might be too loud? A tuned exhaust is a gift to your engine, gas mileage, (coolness), etc.

"Laguna Seca?" Another race junkie in our midst? We need more!

Jake de Villiers wrote:
...its a German Driving Apartment with a Boy Racer exhaust note!!
Hey, stop using up all the good one-liners! Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Portiesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW exhaust - need specific info on how loud. Reply with quote

Correct E1. I previously had this engine in my syncro with a mild steel exhaust system that a friend built for me. That registered 95db at inspection but the guy I was dealing with that day thought it was a cool conversion and passed me anyway!
If I had hit a different inspector then I would have failed and had to remake the exhaust. Obviously I don’t want that to happen if I’m installing an expensive SS exhaust system this time. I’d just go the offset option if I didn’t have to purchase different clamps as well to fit that on the heat shield. Shipping to aust is a killer.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW exhaust - need specific info on how loud. Reply with quote

Why can’t you use a stock Vanagon muffler for the inspection and then change after?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Portiesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW exhaust - need specific info on how loud. Reply with quote

I don’t have the stock vw muffler and the muffler I had on this engine previously was too loud. Looks like I might just have to take a punt on the straight through muffler and hope for the best.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW exhaust - need specific info on how loud. Reply with quote

on the straight thru muffler.... if it is too loud, remove the tailpipe and tighten a "tail pipe expander" about 1/2 way down the muffler and put the tailpipe back on. the expander will force exhaust gas thru the slots quieting it down. performance will take a hit but it'll pass.

-dan
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW exhaust - need specific info on how loud. Reply with quote

this thread has some info you should check out, and i thought Goldtooth mentioned the longer walker muffler he put on that changed the sound quite a bit for the better but i can’t find it. might PM him and ask about it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672926&highlight=sealing+rmw
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: RMW exhaust - need specific info on how loud. Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
"Laguna Seca?" Another race junkie in our midst? We need more!

Jake de Villiers wrote:
...its a German Driving Apartment with a Boy Racer exhaust note!!
Hey, stop using up all the good one-liners! Laughing

Plenty of racing fans around here. I grew up at Oulton Park, Brands Hatch and Silverstone, etc where my father raced either his 1929 Austin Ulster or his Bentley. We used to flat tow the Ulster to the tracks with the 1930 RR that used to belong to the Shah of Iran back when they were all just 'old bangers'!!

Shocked Shocked
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: