Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring??
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

Awaken from the dead.

Am I a fool to consider building this motor back up without align-boring this case?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No catches in the journals, sure some discoloration, but all the standard bearings still fit snug inside their perspective journals.
Thoughts???

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

Line (or align if you prefer) boring is cheap enough at this point. Check the case at the flywheel. Most reputable shops will have stamped any previous over bore size. With the increased price of VW parts over the last couple of decade and the dwindling supply of original cases, I wouldn't take the chance of a rebuild without making sure everything is properly in place before spending money on parts. Align boring doesn't mean you have to have the crankshaft resurfaced if it mic's in spec (to the 4th decimal place, please)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

is Line boring the best place to save money I don't think so I don't know what it cost to have one bored (I have a boring tool )but if it was mine I would find another place to save money
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

I'd get it align bored. $100ish dollars is good money spent to try to maximize the life of the engine.

I did rebuild a bug engine once that barely had a ridge on one saddle. The crank was fine so it was polished with fine crocus cloth. All new bearings, rebuilt rods, heads and new pistons/cylinders. Runs fine, good oil pressure and has 8k trouble free miles so far. Smooth w/no vibrations either at higher RPM.

This bug doesn't get driven much and the engine rebuild will last my lifetime. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

The expense isn’t necessarily the issue, it’s finding a reputable business to complete the work.
I don’t want to ship my case to California.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

I did the same to a standard case 5 years ago. Bearings fit tight, no ridge on saddle, put in a new crank and rods as it had spun a rod bearing. It lasted for 45K till it developed a noise which turned out to be a loose cam gear. So we are going to to it again with new bearings and a new cam.
End play was in spec, had 135-140 PSI in each cylinder. Bolted the bare case together and it passed the middle saddle test so good to go.
Still experimenting after 40+ years Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

I was taught if you can read the embossed lettering on the back of the bearings, on the case saddles, it is time to align-bore the case. I can read the bearing part number. Time to bore!

Cheap insurance!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

I am of the opinion that well balanced rotating and reciprocating assemblies means less wear and tear on the case bearing saddles.

If you start with a case that is right, and have everything professionally balanced and add real oil filtration the case should last virtually forever.

I'm 61 so "forever" is around 30 years. Very Happy

Max
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

just measure your case if it is in tolerance its all good if not have it bored why is this so hard
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

Well... eight years later, hey djkeev, how’d it work out for you?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Well... eight years later, hey djkeev, how’d it work out for you?

I had a very successful rebuild.
While I'm no pro I took the best steps I could during the ptocess.

It ran strong.
I don't know the long term result for I sold the car about three years ago.
I've not received any irate communication from the buyer....... he knows where I live.

I don't miss the Beetle itself but that was a fine running engine.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

I can see both sides of the question. It became standard practice to eliminate any questions and run the bar through it no matter what it looked like, and more often than not the area around thrust bearing needed attention, easier to just do it while it’s down. The decision not to cut means you must have an experienced eye and usually it will be a low mileage engine that has failed for some other reason and has never been overheated. Properly maintained and driven the lower end should last over 100k miles, as mentioned a balanced engine with filtered oil can make this a reality. So if you don’t know what to look for and have an extra 60-80 bucks go ahead and cut it. Unrelated but added fun is when you get all this figured out and upon torquing the nuts around perimeter of case half it quits turning and then you find it’s been overheated and warped around the cam area. 😀 joy tear it all apart and find someone that knows how to fix that. That used to happen too.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

Having watched the hobby and supporting industry shrink over the years, I am of the opinion that in less than one decade it will no longer be possible to buy a new case that doesn't need work or find a shop that can do that work at any reasonable cost.

I have two good cases. They are both straight, full flowed and have bronze lifter bores.

I do not regard them as disposable. I expect them to remain serviceable until I can no longer drive.

Max
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

Back to Dave the OP:

I just built a 2.2L waterboxer and did not line bore the case. 2500 miles and VERY strong. I will be sure to report back and let y’all know how it is going.

The reason being the machinist recommended a line bore. I disagreed and built it anyway.

Cheers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

^^^^^^ compared to earlier type1,2,3 stuff which is a different alloy is like comparing apples to oranges
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

As mentioned earlier in the thread finding a QUALIFIED shop to do QUALITY work is the issue these days. The other main thing to consider is many of the shops will cut the thrust surface to a 'non standard' bearing size which requires the bearing itself to also be custom cut to the case. I understand the reason why (cut only enough to clean up the thrust surface) but it adds to the overall expense and frustration if a new set of bearings are needed.

Not sure what its costing others but a cut/bearing/shipping is around $200.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild WITHOUT align (line?) boring?? Reply with quote

No frustration or added expense here, it’s the better way to do it as you pointed out. In the hands of an experienced machinist it adds only a few moments to custom fit that bearing. Experience being the key, currently it’s about 80 bucks here to align bore and fit #1 thrust. No big deal to cut down a plus size bearing Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: