Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Next 4 weeks no coolant. Anything special I should do?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Questy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Next 4 weeks no coolant. Anything special I should do? Reply with quote

I’m 4 weeks from the Bostig swap, and today the old Wasserboxer in the Billy Goat Gruff finally gave up the ghost. The water jacket seal seep turned into a cascade. No coolant in the pressure tank—any water added to the tank just dripped out the seal.

I knew this was a possibility — 33 years and 180K miles in total and over the past 3 years we’ve owed her — and as our DD — she’s never stranded us, and oh how we’ve roamed.

I want to make sure to protect the new cooling parts I installed last summer (ss pipes, new radiator, new rear heater core) while the Guffster sits the next month with no coolant.

To be a good neighbor, and stop the dripping, I vacuumed out all the remaining coolant, and the system is now empty.

Is there anything special I should do besides disconnect the battery for the coming month of just sitting there?

Thanks.

Required photo of the Billy Goat Gruff in her natural habitat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Next 4 weeks no coolant. Anything special I should do? Reply with quote

I would not worry about sitting with no coolant.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Next 4 weeks no coolant. Anything special I should do? Reply with quote

I concur. I would not be concerned about it.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Next 4 weeks no coolant. Anything special I should do? Reply with quote

Agree. A corollary with an engine sitting with plain water however - never do this. Plain water will rust an engine's internals very quickly.

But with it dry - you're fine and even what's left in there in crevices and the like was a coolant mix, so thats fine, too. Good luck with the service.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Next 4 weeks no coolant. Anything special I should do? Reply with quote

If it makes you feel
any better I have the engine from my ‘77 911 sitting on an engine stand for the next two years without coolant while I strip the body to the tub and rebuild it.

Wink

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Next 4 weeks no coolant. Anything special I should do? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
If it makes you feel
any better I have the engine from my ‘77 911 sitting on an engine stand for the next two years without coolant while I strip the body to the tub and rebuild it.

Wink

I sure hope you remembered to flush it with the blue anti-freeze mixed with Redline Water Wetter before mothballing it.

Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Next 4 weeks no coolant. Anything special I should do? Reply with quote

Remove your WBX and start prepping the engine bay.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Next 4 weeks no coolant. Anything special I should do? Reply with quote

On the other hand, speaking from personal experience (ahem), I would suggest NEVER letting an engine sit with coolant in places it doesn't belong ...

When I blew the head gasket on my $200 1978 Renault LeCar (with the sweet rollback roof like this one, but sans the cute girl in bib overalls) just 3 hours after I bought it, my job at the time didn't allow me to attend to it immediately, so I simply parked it.

When I was finally able to pull the head, the result of coolant sitting in the raw cylinders for almost 2 weeks was ... well, disastrous. No amount of penetrating oils, heat, or torque would loosen the pistons. Dragging the car behind a pickup truck and popping the clutch at increasing road speeds only made flat spots on the tires and some smoke.

In the end, much pain, wasted effort, and hilarity for my neighbors resulted before the wrecker hauled it away.

I did eventually get the girl, but without the aid of a LeCar ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Next 4 weeks no coolant. Anything special I should do? Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:

The Le Car. So close, and so far away, to being a great car at the same time.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Next 4 weeks no coolant. Anything special I should do? Reply with quote

My '88 had been sitting with the long coolant pipes open. I kept a rag in each. I doubt it'd happen but if a mouse smelled the tasty coolant, got stuck in a pipe.....

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Next 4 weeks no coolant. Anything special I should do? Reply with quote

It would be taken care of by the cat
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Next 4 weeks no coolant. Anything special I should do? Reply with quote

I've had my engine installed for about 6 months now while I've been hooking up everything to it. While working on the fuel system I came across a bee that had made its way down one of my hoses. I'd plug everything up that you can while it sits. One time I even had an insect of some kind build a cocoon in my tachometer which kept it from working. Untill I found the cocoon I thought my tach just went bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: