Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing Light Hook Up
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Timing Light Hook Up Reply with quote

I have what is probably a dumb question, but I cannot get a timing light to work and I don't know why.

I bought one a while ago and it worked. The second time I used it (months later) it would not light. I bought a new one. Worked only one time. Each time the light was hooked up to a battery, either in the VW itself or another car.

I bought a new one after taking the second one back believing it was defective. The new one won't work even once. I followed the hook up directions perfectly.

My question: do the types of plug wires make a difference? That is, do silicone wires cause a read problem on the inductive pickup?

If not the wires what could the problem be? I am totally fluxed. Any suggestions appreciated.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Light Hook Up Reply with quote

I had that problem a couple years ago. To remedy the problem.

I use a well charged deep cycle battery on the floor behind the car.

I first hookup the inductive pickup on the #1 plug wire.
Then connect the + clamp to the battery and leave the - clamp off the battery post until the engine was running.
Once the engine was started I connect the - clamp to the battery and check the timing.
Once the timing is set I remove the - clamp then shut down the engine.
I have not had a timing light issue since I started using this procedure.

I burnt out at least 5 timing lights trying to use the vw battery in place and connecting the +/- cables on the generator and engine grounds.

YMMV.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Gary Haberman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Light Hook Up Reply with quote

Having two 6 volt bugs I understand the frustration of using the typical timing light so I use a self powered one (bought mine from Summit Racing). just clip the inductive pickup on the #1 point at the crank pulley and push a button.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Light Hook Up Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I had that problem a couple years ago. To remedy the problem.

I use a well charged deep cycle battery on the floor behind the car.

I first hookup the inductive pickup on the #1 plug wire.
Then connect the + clamp to the battery and leave the - clamp off the battery post until the engine was running.
Once the engine was started I connect the - clamp to the battery and check the timing.
Once the timing is set I remove the - clamp then shut down the engine.
I have not had a timing light issue since I started using this procedure.

I burnt out at least 5 timing lights trying to use the vw battery in place and connecting the +/- cables on the generator and engine grounds.

YMMV.

Good Luck.

The first procedure you detailed is not relevant for timing light damage/safety.

The issue is in the last sentence in bold: if you have a generator, the +timing light shoud NEVER be connect to the +generator (D+). This is a terminal with a lot of positive and negative spikes, the regulator internally has some sparkles on that line so you can suppose voltage peaks over 3-400Volts, positive and negative.

The + of timing light should be on the B+ terminal of the generator, or (easy to reach) the +15 faston on carburetor starter heater.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Light Hook Up Reply with quote

Gary Haberman wrote:
Having two 6 volt bugs I understand the frustration of using the typical timing light so I use a self powered one (bought mine from Summit Racing). just clip the inductive pickup on the #1 point at the crank pulley and push a button.

I clip it to the B+ terminal on the regulator as mentioned above - This works most of the time if your regulator is actually putting out 7 volts, although sometimes it doesn't work at idle. Works great to check full advance. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Light Hook Up Reply with quote

most of the lights are designed for 12 volt operation. hook the battery leads to a 12 volt battery,

Ggod Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Light Hook Up Reply with quote

The light I purchased fortunately works on both 6 and 12 volt systems, and I normally use it only to verify timing.

If the OP has a multimeter he/she can try to verify the bulb still has continuity through it.

Or... a simple test scenario, the one I use most often, is to pop the distributor cap, position the distributor rotor near the #1 firing position, then hook the alligator clip to the negative coil terminal and ground the probe on an engine case stud, fuel pump stud or similar while rotating the distributor by hand.

This should cause the light to illuminate, thus ruling out a defective test light.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: