Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Great timing. I’ve got a pallet on its way to Bend as we speak. I think I need a mainshaft....
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Quote:
2nd gear has replaceable engagement teeth / synchro cone.

Paul, Excellent modification. Is that the replacement cone in the picture? If so, I see the machined lugs on the inner ID. Is this a press fit or is it more of an interference fit with some sort of clip to retain it? Thanks for taking this on. mark
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Gears- this is probably obvious to most, but I’m not a transmission mechanic. How does the oil enter the gun-drilled main shaft? Is there some sort of fitting on the end that the pump feeds whilst the main shaft is spinning? Kinda weird to think about...
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Gears- this is probably obvious to most, but I’m not a transmission mechanic. How does the oil enter the gun-drilled main shaft? Is there some sort of fitting on the end that the pump feeds whilst the main shaft is spinning? Kinda weird to think about...

Hey man!

look here, page 2, you would need a fitting yes. This is what I have done:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Good questions ..

Mark, the two 2nd gear segments are mated with Porsche splines, which have an interference fit. While the engagement teeth / synchro cones are replaceable, the job is a bit more complicated than merely pressing them off & on.

Pc, while our mainshafts are gun-drilled for oiling, they certainly don't have to be oiled. These are gun-drilled to go along with Joe Cariss's billet Low Gear housing that will be available perhaps late this year. For guys using the stock Low Gear housing, they can run without oiling, or do what Herman and Alika have done.

I'll show some close-up photos of the gun-driling and press-on cone when I get the chance. In the meantime, here's a photo of Joe's prototype intermediate housing, which I'll talk more about when it's 100% completed.

All of these parts will be shown somewhere @ Syncro Fest. While I'm unable to attend, both Joe and Tom Lengyel will be there with eye candy ..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boroko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Is it weird to feel emotional looking at a piece of metal?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

boroko wrote:
Is it weird to feel emotional looking at a piece of metal?
Nope! Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

It will be a VERY emotional day when I finally have ALL the parts required for an easily assembled killer trans. Just waiting on housing(s).
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

gears wrote:
It will be a VERY emotional day when I finally have ALL the parts required for an easily assembled killer trans. Just waiting on housing(s).

Very Happy Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Got my goodies in from Gears yesterday. It all came well packaged. The rebuild won't be until early fall so I can't report on how much noise the straight cut gear outputs until then.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:

One thing I'd like to acknowledge here, is a bunch of us asked for stronger Vanagon parts, and some crazy feller in Bend put up the knowhow AND the money, and didn't just talk, he DELIVERED. Frikkin' DELIVERED! Think about that for a few moments. He made new mainshafts for the Syncro, AND gun-drilled them for pressure oiling. And heavy-duty racing-porsche-quality gears too. For our VANS... And you can just FRIKKIN' "BUY" THEM! Unbelievable.

But there's not fittings available (yet) except for DIY, so that's up to US! Well here's one.

Syncroshop is building a wicked GT gears trans for some crazy feller in VT who will have the first oiled GT gears mainshaft (or so we think). There's bound to be some other guys working on this too. Syncroshop has the "AlikaT3 bushing" done. (except AlikaT3 used a fitting with a nut, we will use a bushing and banjo bolt) I will be sending this extended 6AN banjo fitting to Syncroshop soon.

Syncroshop has figured out the machining processes to modify the lowgear housing and needle bearing to deliver the oil into the mainshaft. Need to drill & tap an M6 hole in the lowgear housing to secure this (permanent) fitting.

The yellow arrows point to the "same features." That machine screw is just part of the welding jjg. A banjo bolt will go there.
The fitting is mounted "permanently" with green bearing mount on the banjo bolt because unscrewing the banjo would let loose the "AlikaT3 bushing" inside. The 6AN fitting is extended out to where a wrench can get on it to disconnect it or plug it, without unbolting the transaxle. Fitting comes out near the ground strap.

It can't be seen in this pic,,,,, but the van frame crossmember must be "clearanced" for the head of the banjo bolt. The mainshaft nose of the lowgear housing is about 15mm from the van frame crossmember, and the stackup of the banjo bolt is appx 18mm. We don't know yet if it can be pounded/dented or cut. It would be great if some hulk with a "hulk" could try denting the crossmember with a sledge. Need a dent appx 10mm deep on the lower corner at center.

In case any of you plan to use a brake hose. Note that brake hose banjos have tiny holes, 2.2mm (.090") is much too small. I drilled this 2.2 out to 5.5mm for FLOW. A 2.2mm hole flows 16% of what 5.5mm will flow.

Onward. I'll build my GT Gears trans this fall; looking forward to it!!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

VERY nice, Sodo .. I need at least 5 of these ASAP !!
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

I'm bringing my own product thread back up, because the "Transaxle Problem" thread was going off-topic.

The problem with these 3rd/4th operating sleeves came to light when a transaxle was returned to one of my main shop customers with a severe pop-out-of-gear issue.

I've been chastised for selling substandard parts, even though these aren't "GT" sleeves, but rather parts brought in from Germany to compliment my own product line. In my defense, this manufacturing defect isn't something anyone else has reported on, despite these sleeves being distributed world-wide. I only spotted it because my failing eyesight now forces me to use a microscope for close inspection.

Regarding the manufacturer liability question, I don't know what sort of relief I might see. I am twice removed from this particular manufacturer .. unlike my own gear cutter who became a personal friend years ago .. and has proven himself to be the most ethical of the 4 different gear manufacturers I have used since 1989.

Anyhow, the buck stops with me. While I can't afford to reimburse every dollar lost by my shop customers and their retail customers, I will make a good-faith effort to compensate WAY beyond my profit margin .. in some cases, likely 30-50x what I profited.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

gears wrote:

Regarding the manufacturer liability question, I don't know what sort of relief I might see. I am twice removed from this particular manufacturer .. unlike my own gear cutter who became a personal friend years ago .. and has proven himself to be the most ethical of the 4 different gear manufacturers I have used since 1989.

Anyhow, the buck stops with me. While I can't afford to reimburse every dollar lost by my shop customers and their retail customers, I will make a good-faith effort to compensate WAY beyond my profit margin .. in some cases, likely 30-50x what I profited.

This is the same isssue I am running into every week for the past few years. I end up doing jobs over and giving away part and labor for free to keep my customers happy. It seems that about 90% of the auto parts available for sale these days are complete garbage. I back up my parts and labor and sometimes even a tow charge for my customers when something doesn't last as long as it should yet try to get part suppliers to back me up.
The days of doing other work "while your in there" are over. Now you just try to replace that one part that is bad and hope that it holds up. Used to be if you where taking a transmission out to replace a main seal you might also want to replace a clutch or CV boots. You can no longer trust what used to be the good brands, this includes VW. Almost nobody cares about quality anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Gears,
Will the casings being made have the provisions for the Diff-Locks?
Thanks.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

The main case is not presently being made.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

This is the same isssue I am running into every week for the past few years. I end up doing jobs over and giving away part and labor for free to keep my customers happy. It seems that about 90% of the auto parts available for sale these days are complete garbage. I back up my parts and labor and sometimes even a tow charge for my customers when something doesn't last as long as it should yet try to get part suppliers to back me up.
The days of doing other work "while your in there" are over. Now you just try to replace that one part that is bad and hope that it holds up. Used to be if you where taking a transmission out to replace a main seal you might also want to replace a clutch or CV boots. You can no longer trust what used to be the good brands, this includes VW. Almost nobody cares about quality anymore.

Andrew...I feel your pain. no joke, 98% of my parts come direct from the dealer...engine mechanical and electronics 100%.

the cost is more, and I charge accordingly. you HAVE to do this to say in the black...sad but true. I am roughly 10.00 MORE an hour than my local dealership. my stuff leaves fixed...

dorman, meyle, shit...even febi/bilstein is junk these days. OEM parts from the dealer is my last line of defense for quality anymore...and this is why I try not to work on cars 10-12 years old or older anymore unless the client 1000% understands the situation. every time I try to save someone money...it costs me 3x as much. not worth it...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

Andrew...I feel your pain. no joke, 98% of my parts come direct from the dealer...engine mechanical and electronics 100%.

the cost is more, and I charge accordingly. you HAVE to do this to say in the black...sad but true. I am roughly 10.00 MORE an hour than my local dealership. my stuff leaves fixed...

dorman, meyle, shit...even febi/bilstein is junk these days. OEM parts from the dealer is my last line of defense for quality anymore...and this is why I try not to work on cars 10-12 years old or older anymore unless the client 1000% understands the situation. every time I try to save someone money...it costs me 3x as much. not worth it...

From the dealer is not always a good solution. I’ve gotten electronic parts from the dealer and what they deliver is made in China! Same aftermarket shit except in a VAG box and 3-4 times the price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Yep, my neighbor works for the dealer in the parts dept., and brought me a large box of brand new parts they inexplicably labeled as scrap destined for the dumpster. There was a sizeable portion made in either China or Taiwan. Very disheartening. Even Uro is now making OE parts for Mercedes.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Hi Paul, every time Stefan gets a bad charge from the factory, he is saying the same like you.
Selling aftermarket parts is not a thnkfull job at all, as you will be told responsible for the fault of the factory. What you can do more, as giving a original technical drawing to the factory? I see the problem in the production control today's. With the digital production engines it's far more easy to include faults.
The worst example, you give a order for hundreds front r+p to the factory where you got good rear r+p from, and they send you the front r+p with the teeth direction from the rear, just because they used part of the program from the rear and the producer is not able to see what he's doing.
Now to your gears example, did you measure the corners? What outer slider have been used?
I don't see the typical signs of outhopping on the back grind, which is not the red marked part of your pic.
Not trying to defend here anything, just trying to come behind the problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: