Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poor mans convertible support rails?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eth727
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Poor mans convertible support rails? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone out there has used a cheaper alternative to buying convertible support rails? My heater channels are intact but the support rails are shot. I don't have the $$ to have it professionally done. I have a flux core welder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor mans convertible support rails? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=flux&search_forum=13

If you're not really good at flux core welding sheet metal start practicing. I would at least look at a Variable Voltage EastWood. MIG 110v model.

From what I understand the convertible rails are welded to the Heater Channel bottom plate and the lip they put on with the bolt holes looks like it serves no purpose other than to provide a little strength from side to side. I don't see a lot of value in it's existence myself. The front of the Heater Channel tapers off to fit between the wheel when turned and not to cover up the pan bolts, otherwise square/rectangular tubing can be used.

It's not that hard of a task if you already have the skills.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor mans convertible support rails? Reply with quote

Late model Type 3's have about a 1"X4" support rail welded to the bottom of each pan. I'm not sure if that's applicable to convertibles, but thought I would mention them.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eth727
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Poor mans convertible support rails? Reply with quote

I practiced on putting a new battery tray. It's just a lot of spot welds and looks ugly but who It works. I was thinking about just welding some long pieces of U shaped steel since that's the part that is gone. I don't have a couple thousand bucks to get it done right now but once I hit the lotto then I'll take it to a pro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Poor mans convertible support rails? Reply with quote

You can get a decent MIG for under $500 ,use it again sometime and convertible rails are about $130 each plus shipping. In cali you could probably pick them up at the supplier. A MIG welder is going to save you a lot of time if you can afford it.
eth727
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Poor mans convertible support rails? Reply with quote

Yeah my buddy suggest mig w/gas but ultimately it comes down to $$.
I foundo that out the hard way when I blew holes but now I can manage the damage.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor mans convertible support rails? Reply with quote

Do the forum a favor and post back with pictures of your method or what you learned while using flux core on sheet metal. It's not the go to method but it does work if you put time into it.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor mans convertible support rails? Reply with quote

A solid set of convertible heater channels in the PNW ready to 'cut to order' for $300!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PNWAircooledSwapmeet/
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Poor mans convertible support rails? Reply with quote

It just occurred to me the lip (wide base with the pan holes in it's) purpose is to allow it to be spot welded on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: