Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Martin B. still out there?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Martin B. still out there? Reply with quote

Hi does anyone know a Martin B. (last name withheld to protect his privacy Smile) in California who is into air-cooled Volkswagens?

He is the one who got me into VWs. At one time he lived in Huntington Beach CA, and I think he may have attended Fountain Valley high school. He used to drive a tan '63 ragtop with Bronze-colored Empi 8 spokes and then sold that to purchase a karmann ghia convertible which ran the same 8 spokes.

He moved to NC in the 80's and brought the cal-look '63 ragtop with him. He stayed for a year and then moved back to CA and bought the Ghia. Thanks to him the love of air-cooled bugs has never left me to this day at 49 almost 50 years old!

Martin would be around 53-54 y/o now. Sorry for the strange post but I wanted to reconnect with him and haven't had any luck googling. Thought I'd give this a shot.

Please PM me rather than post it up here if you know my old VW guru Martin, thanks - Ted
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Martin B. still out there? Reply with quote

If you know his kids names you could look at Facebook, or maybe even your friend their. Good luck searching.
Cheerz.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Martin B. still out there? Reply with quote

andrewvwclassic wrote:
If you know his kids names you could look at Facebook, or maybe even your friend their. Good luck searching.
Cheerz.

Thanks! I lost touch with Martin in '83, when he moved back to CA and drove the bug all the way back cross country Sad

He had just graduated high school from East Forsyth high in Kernersville NC which is where he attended school in the year or so they lived in NC.

Hoping he is well, and still into VWs. He sent pictures and stayed in touch with me and my sis, who he dated for a while, for a time after moving back, but then we lost touch. The last I heard from him he had bought the ghia convertible ('67?) and made it a tan-colored '80's cal-looker with the same cool bronze 8 spokes.

He also enjoyed boating, and I wouldn't be surprised if he were into porsches these days. My sister "thinks" he became an attorney and that he is even no longer alive, which I sure hope isn't the case.

He has a sister named Emily who was cool in her own right, if that helps.

thanks!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Martin B. still out there? Reply with quote

Searching for someone you refuse to name is ridiculous! Most of us are not that paranoid about using our Real Name on the Internet/Facebook etc.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Martin B. still out there? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Searching for someone you refuse to name is ridiculous! Most of us are not that paranoid about using our Real Name on the Internet/Facebook etc.

Hi that certainly isn't my intention, to waste time and be silly... I was withholding Martin's full last name in case he doesn't WANT to be found and isn't interested in reestablishing an old friendship.

I owe this guy my obsession with VWs, and I'd love to see what he is up to. Was hoping there weren't too many Martin "B"s out there and that if someone knew anyone matching my description they'd weigh in.

His name, in case others are wondering, is/was Martin Brand! I'm hoping for "is" Very Happy
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Martin B. still out there? Reply with quote

Googling Emily Brand and Martin Brand at the same time brings back a hit on peoplesmart.com for an Emily Nicole Brand/Novak. One of her relations is Martin Tod Brand and they are all in California. Good luck.

https://www.peoplesmart.com/find/name/emily-brand
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Martin B. still out there? Reply with quote

thanks Sharp, that sounds like them! I'll see where it goes - hopefully I can get in touch with them Very Happy
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Martin B. still out there? Reply with quote

Honestly a little creepy that Sharp can just google all that Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Martin B. still out there? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

My googlefu is strong young padawan.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Martin B. still out there? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Razz Razz Razz
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Martin B. still out there? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: