Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loser, winner ....
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Victor, I pm’d you.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Since this post is "kinda" on the topic of car shows, what are the "rules" for car shows? For instance, is it only the car that can be shown or can you add "props" to "customize" your entry? I have never entered a car in a show but I have some ideas for things that would make it more of a "display" then just a car to look at, but I'm not sure what the "rules" are. Are there "rules" and "unwritten rules" for car shows?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Most Show & Shines I’ve been to have no rules, as far as your “display” is concerned. Owners display suitcases in the racks, surfboards, etc. They open their trunks and show off tool boxes, models of their cars, previous awards, if any; but mostly, people just park their cars, get out, and mingle.

It’s just a bunch of owners getting together to check out other’s VW’s.

Awards are given for a myriad of categories. Best this, best that. At these informal affairs, awards are bestowed by vote of the people.

The big shows, like Bugorama, are another matter. I don’t know how they bestow awards.

I won one award a few years back, but it really makes no difference if you win or not. Most don’t win unless they have something a cut or two above your standard daily driver. Mine won, I suspect, because the paint job was/is still pretty nice—and because I keep the car stock. People say my car “looks” like it’s new, and that was basically the award I won: The Way it Was.

Since winning, I haven’t entered my Bug. Once was pretty cool. Although, this year, they went from plaques to trophies, so I broke my altruistic rule and entered again. I didn’t win the same award again, but I didn’t mind. I won a hundred-dollar Wolfgang gift certificate instead. Besides, I can still buy a nice Leg Lamp for displaying at Christmas, and that Major Award will do in a pinch.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

It depends on the show for "rules"....

Judged concours events would most likely frown upon jovial display items, but would most likely appreciate accessory displayed items like a period correct spare tire tool kit. I don't think I've ever been to a VW only event that was concours judged.

Show n shine fun events that are judged by popular vote may actually gain you an award for jovial stuff. There is a fine line between having a unique display, and having a bunch of junk cluttering up your car, so imo moderation is key. I'm not a fan of the little cabbage patch looking dolls hiding their face into a tire, or fender as if they are counting down for hide, and seek.

Cleanliness is a must for me for display. Even if your car has "patina" wash off the dust/dirt, vacuum the interior, clean the glass, and put some dressing on the tires to make them nice n black.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

First off, I wouldn't enter a car show for a trophy. I have a corner full of trophies from 20 years of racing that I don't know what to do with. I have them covered so I don't have to dust them. Who wants a trophy with my name on it??? So I have enough trophies as it is. Don't need/want more. My ideas for a "display" would be a few things: 1-I'd like to make one of those blue VW characters to stand by the car. Something about 3' tall. 2-Another thing I think would be neat would be to make some kind of display of events of the year the car was made. For instance, since the car I would enter is a 74 I would make a "poster" of some of the things from 1974 like who was President & VP, top songs and movies of that year, World Series and Super Bowl winners, events like Nixon resigning, Ali beats Foreman, price of the Bug new, price of gas(42 cents Mad ), if electric is handy I could even have a CD of the top songs of 74(#1 was Barbra Streisand, The Way We Were) for a little music.....the list is endless. It would be an attempt to get people to go back to 1974 while I sit there and smile and enjoy seeing the people reminisce. Am I being unrealistic? Will other entrants frown upon that? I don't want it to turn into a competition. I just want to have fun and watch the people enjoy themselves.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

The "current events" thing from 74 sounds cool. Mr. Bubblehead never goes out of style. Just make sure he has a substantial, and noticeable base so he doesn't get tripped over, or knocked into something.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

I found another one of me, sitting in my Sun Bug; but it shows more of the show.

Richard O'Brien
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I found another one of me, sitting in my Sun Bug; but it shows more of the show.

Given that I can see the house across the street in your hood, the person taking the picture in the driver's front fender, and the two cars to your left as well as the legs of some dude standing between them in your driver's panels, I would have to say....

That is one healthy contender of a Sun Bug right there. Clean ride Tim!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Crosby, Stills, and Nash; Simon and Garfunkel; Jackson Brown; the Eagles; Dylan; Arlo Guthrie; Peter, Paul, and Mary, etc.
Tim

Jackson Browne. Very Happy

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

My avatar car, (yup, the one with a working thermador cooler) is a largely original car and I got used to it never winning awards- dents, scratches, you name it. I'd doll it up a little differently (winter sports, luggage ahoy, etc.) but I just enjoy taking it out. After about 13 or so years there was one smaller VW show that the judges, after considering all the cars there, determined mine to be the most original VW in attendance- so I got a great award! I have more plaques than I can count for the Thing, but the award I'm most proud of is the welded hubcap sculpture awarded to me by my friends. It's also the only one on display in my garage.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

A lot of those shows are politics anyway- it's the reason the big annual Eureka Springs show here in my state has a whole other show on the other side of town at the same time.
That's one reason I never entered my car in the shows- the other is cause I'm a cheap a$$ and don't want to pay the entry fee. Cool

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Steve, come to Wolfgang’s Show & Shine. It’s free!

So, I’ve misspelled Jerry Garcia this week, and Jackson Browne.

Fuck me!

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:
Crosby, Stills, and Nash; Simon and Garfunkel; Jackson Brown; the Eagles; Dylan; Arlo Guthrie; Peter, Paul, and Mary, etc.
Tim

Jackson Browne. Very Happy

Actually his correct name is Clyde Jackson Browne and he was born in Germany. Nice super beetle Tim 😀
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I owe it all to Meguiar’s Cleaner/Wax. I keep it in the garage (due to paranoia and Hagerty’s Insurance rules), so the elements don’t have their way with it.

The PO had the a two-stage paint job put on the car before I bought it. Except for a few minor scratches I added while working on various issues, the paint really does look new.

Well, it’s going to be in the low 70’s today, so I’m off to drive it.

By the way, Buggeee, those are all warehouses around Wolfgang’s back lot. If not, the residents would have a cow when Wolfgang’s fires up their big-ass dragster every year.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: