Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1993 Eurovan engine and transmission
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ejspada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

I have a motor and trans that apparently only have 80k on them. I’m afraid to go through the hassle of swapping this engine without knowing anything about it. Are there any things I should definetly replace like the timing chain, belt, plugs before dropping in this engine? Anything I should look for on this engine? Same thing with the tranny ? Suggestions welcome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

Manual or auto transmission? Is it an ACU or AAF engine? Yes, replace the timing belt, water pump and idlers. Replace the seals. Check the exhaust manifold to see how big the crack is. Maybe you’ll be lucky and have none.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ejspada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

Automatic transmission
Can’t find the engine code? I see 11M and a bunch of other numbers but not the ones you mentioned ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

'93 engine should most certainly be an AAF.

Josh pretty much nailed it. Timing belt on these really isn't that difficult to do insitu, but with the engine out it is much clearer.

Definitely check the exhaust manifold. The 1-2-3 bank log has a high rate of cracking.

If it's a manual trans. I'd split the engine/trans and inspect the clutch for wear. I'd take the opportunity and exchange ALL fluids.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

Right, probably AAF engine. I don’t have any tips on the auto unfortunately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ejspada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

Where can I definetly identify the engine code ?
Ejspada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

Is there any advantage to one code over another. Any place you all recommend to purchase the best parts at best prices? Appreciate the help. I have two automatic transmissions that I have no idea on so I’m thinking of dropping in a manual but will need to get the assembly with pedal etc if I go this route
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

Ejspada wrote:
Where can I definetly identify the engine code ?

The engine code is on a couple spots on the engine. One is the top timing belt cover which is plastic. This is often times either smeared and illegible or the sticker is missing altogether. The other spot is a cast flange on the engine block just below the cylinder head.

Or if you upload a couple pics we could by looking at it.
Ejspada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

[img]
]

Last edited by Ejspada on Sat May 05, 2018 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

AAF- as you can see.
Ejspada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

Just found the engine code it’s AAF
Again is there an advantage of AAF versus ACU?
Also what was it on the manifold that I should check ? Exhaust or intake manifold ?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

Exhaust manifold.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

Ejspada wrote:
Just found the engine code it’s AAF
Again is there an advantage of AAF versus ACU?
Also what was it on the manifold that I should check ? Exhaust or intake manifold ?

There's no real advantages either way. The ACU uses the newer style TB tensioner. It has a knock sensor and is OBD1. The AAF is a pretty stout engine.

Check the exhaust manifold for crack, as stated. CHeck both plastic cooling flanges for warpage/cracks. Replace seals as needed. Do the timing belt and H20 pump. If it's an auto do the in pan filter. Check the O-rings on the trans: dipstick filler and neutral safety switch.
Ejspada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch - what plastic flanges on the cooling system? Do you have a place you purchase parts online you recommend?
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

Ejspada wrote:
Do you have a place you purchase parts online you recommend?

ECS Tuning
Pelican Parts
AutohausAz
FCP Euro

It depends on who has the part(s) available and from which manufacturer(s), and price (including shipping...).

I don't think electrickery works that way
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

I have an extensive list of parts suppliers saved on a Shutterfly site:
https://billwildenberg.shutterfly.com/vweurovan
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

DEALER wherever possible!!! The aftermarket plastic flanges are total crap & are just as likely to leave you stranded as the 25 year old part that currently beginning to fail. If you have no other choice, buy at least two & carry the spare.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Ejspada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

Any one have an idea on what a goid pruce fir a rebuilt manual trabsmisdion and all the used hardwAre shoukd codt to convert to a manual ?

Or whatvthe going price for a used automatic transmissioon 93-95?
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

You can get a "kit" at Quality German Auto. You'll want to inspect it right away. I've had to send a Vanagon engine back to them before but we worked out a solution right away.

Quote:
$1699.00 Eurovan VW 5 Cylinder Auto to Manual conversion kit

5 Speed Eurovan Transmission Conversion Kit; All used parts. Go from Automatic to Standard/Manual. The parts included are all used The Transmission CHP, Starter, Pedals, Shifter, Clutch, Flywheel, Axels, there are some nuts and bolts.

Miles: 62,100

3 Month warranty

Note: These are used kits so we do not promise, state, confirm that grommets, bolts, seals, gaskets, clamps, nuts, washers or pins may or may not be there and may or may not be in great shape. Items are in tact and used as seen in the video. This is how the kit comes and is sold

http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.com/index.php?p=...sion%20kit
Ejspada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan engine and transmission Reply with quote

anyone have a changeover procedure to manual. Also - anyone know of a clutch kit that comes with a flywheel for this vehicle.

Help on this forum has been very useful. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: