Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trustworthy vw repair
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Trustworthy vw repair Reply with quote

Look at my Thing wrote:
Should i buy a pulley with degrees marks on it? I see the v notched in the back side of the stock one and the dimple just ahead of that but nothing else and if i should what is the best one to go with and is it hard to swap out?

You can replace it, I've mulled doing this myself. But I also found a printable degree wheel you can use as a template for finding the "missing marks" and used a model paint brush and some white paint daubs to mark some other timing points.

I've actually got a pdf I found online with the timing marks, I'll try to see if I can find the link of where I got it from. Probably was from one of the electronic ignition company web sites..

If replacing the pulley, I'm not sure what's best brand to go with, but you'd need a pulley puller tool to get it off the crankshaft end.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Trustworthy vw repair Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
Look at my Thing wrote:
Should i buy a pulley with degrees marks on it? I see the v notched in the back side of the stock one and the dimple just ahead of that but nothing else and if i should what is the best one to go with and is it hard to swap out?

You can replace it, I've mulled doing this myself. But I also found a printable degree wheel you can use as a template for finding the "missing marks" and used a model paint brush and some white paint daubs to mark some other timing points.

I've actually got a pdf I found online with the timing marks, I'll try to see if I can find the link of where I got it from. Probably was from one of the electronic ignition company web sites..

If replacing the pulley, I'm not sure what's best brand to go with, but you'd need a pulley puller tool to get it off the crankshaft end.

T

After posting I just found the link to one you could use.

http://www.hot-spark.com/Hot-Spark-009-VW-Type-I-Pulley-Degree-Template.pdf

NOW, this pdf mentions installing a 009 type distributor, not sure if you want to follow the instructions for that,
but the timing marks part of the template are defiantly usable.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Look at my Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Trustworthy vw repair Reply with quote

Sweet thank you i will print it out and give it a try.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Trustworthy vw repair Reply with quote

They have timing lights that are adjustable too so you can indicate the amount of advance your want on the light (for instance 30 BTDC), and the light will delay its flash by 30 degrees so you use the TDC on the pulley.

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-5568-Pro-Timing-Light-Tool/dp/B000EVU8J8

Post some photos of your car/engine compartment.

Adding lubing the front end to your to do list.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Trustworthy vw repair Reply with quote

Check/clean your idle jet also along with everything else
Look at my Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Trustworthy vw repair Reply with quote

Today the new parts all came in and I've worked on it for the past 6 hours today. I replaced the tank the fuel lines reinstalled a new set of points and condensor. I cleaned out.the carburetor I made damn sure the timing was close and then I tried to.start it I had to pour fuel.in the carburetor to get.it running and it still has flat spots and runs like crap. I've replaced the fuel tank the fuel lines the filters cleaned the carburetor replaced the points and condensor the distributor cap and rotor the plug wires and the plugs. I set the valves changed the oil and so I guess I will order a new carburetor tomorrow. Does anyone have an idea of a good 34 pic 3 replacement it has the factory solex and I read alot about different replacement brands but the prices are everywhere and I don't wanna keep throwing money away. If the carb don't fix it I guess it's going to the shop or on Craigslist I'm not sure yet.
BVC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Trustworthy vw repair Reply with quote

Did you also replace or clean the fuel filter inside the fuel pump? Some have a stainless filter that can be cleaned. I had an old one that was full of stuff and until it was cleaned the thing would not run right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Look at my Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Trustworthy vw repair Reply with quote

no i did not tough the fuel pump i have a clear filter and the fuel looks great now so i didn't think it would be a fuel delivery issue as far as getting fuel to the carb. It is spitting fuel from the carb when i rev it up and a few times it backfired through the carb. But at least now i can rev it up so i am making progress. It baffles me that this little simple engine has me at a loss.
BVC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Trustworthy vw repair Reply with quote

Our Thing sat for a couple of years before we brought it home. After doing most of what you have gone threw the car would stall under load and take a bit to get it going again. Fuel filter was clean at the tank and the filter just before the carb. Our trouble was the filter inside the pump. It was caked with stuff and the longer we drove the more that would break restricting the amount of fuel being pumped into the carb. Good luck I’m sure you will track down the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Trustworthy vw repair Reply with quote

I know how frustrated you might be, yet know that it is fixable

Do you have the correct coil, and is it working?
Is your point gap correct, and the cam screw tight?
Could any of your spark plug wires be crossed?
Are your spark plugs tight?
Is the fuel pump working?
Do you have the stock air filter (oil bath) or a paper filter which might be blocked?

In my 26 years of owning my car the ignition issues have been due to 3 things:
The fuel pump (the mechanical lever in a new one was too short), or the aforementioned filter
The coil was not putting out enough juice, or it was dead
The insulator on the #3 spark plug wire was cracked and the spark was arcing to the engine block
Look at my Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Trustworthy vw repair Reply with quote

The coil is a Bosch Blue and the plugs are all firing i checked them all with a spark tester. I set the point gap at .16 i did have to turn the crank a little past TDC to get the points to open but i think that is the way it should be. the spark plug wires are as they should be and none are crossed. Yes the plugs are tight and the wires are all brand new. The air filter is the original Oil Bath and it is clean. My thoughts are a new carb and find someone to fine tune it all because i feel that i am missing something or something else is still bad. If any of you guys are close to Austin or know anyone that's close to Austin that would have the time to look at it with me i do have a tow bar and cash for there time.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trustworthy vw repair Reply with quote

What does clean out the carb mean?

Did you take it completely apart, and clean it out and blow out the jets/areas and reassemble with a new gasket kit?

You are probably better off having your Solex rebuilt rather than buying an aftermarket carb

http://www.volkzbitz.com/

Post a photo of your engine.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Trustworthy vw repair Reply with quote

If your carb is spitting out fuel you may have a problem with the float/float valve on the carb I would pop off the top of the carb and check the fuel level in the bowl-that would be my next move. Too much fuel in the bowl would indicate a float or float shut off valve that is not working properly. When and if you take the top of the carb off you can measure fuel level-from the top edge of float bowl to top of fuel (I don't remember the proper measurement but you can look it up). Also turn over top of carb after you take it off and blow into fuel inlet pipe with the float still in place you should not be able to blow any air in-if you can the float shut off valve is bad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: