Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn Ring
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the PVC only acts to keep the original bushing in place, if I'm understanding you right. Not to bush the steering column per se. Thanks, I'll have another look.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was loose because of the new wheel that was smaller and not a perfect fit as the original. Your bushing maybe out of place or may be worn out. Taking another look should let you know foe sure.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what it was. I had the steering column out for a dashboard removal last summer, and didn't get the mount adjustment right (Bentley 48.) The horn ring seems to have been mashing down on the contact tab, hence failure, hence $90 for new ring and signal switch.

Basically you have to have some space in there for the tab/ring contact, can't be mashed down or I guess too far apart.

Hopefully this will help others...
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Ring Reply with quote

I think I pulled the spring part out too far and wore a serious groove into the ring, so I layed some solder in there and dabbed some on the spring part also. I'm not great with soldering but this went very smoothly.

be sure to mark how the wheel fits on the shaft (mark doesn't have to be that precise)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nut too (I couldn't actually get it all the way back on)
15/16" socket works

little dab on the spring part (sanded w/100-150 grit later)

ring before (all these pictures, the bottom of the wheel is on the right side of the picture)

ring after

ring after sanding (100-150grit)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Ring Reply with quote

Sanding with anything coarser that 320 will eat your contact tab. In fact, going to 600 is probably the minimum. The other option is to have your friend with the CMC mill our laser make you a new ring out of heavy gauge brass. I had a friend cut himself really badly on one of these that was worn. Don't try to save the old one. For $40 bucks, I'd go with the VC replacement and be done with it.
kjono09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Ring Reply with quote

kjono09 is hidden
PostPosted: Today 6:36 pm Post subject: Re: Horn Honks when I turn the steering wheel Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post Report this post to Moderator/Admin.
I had this exact same thing happen and finally fixed it after 3 years. Turns out plastic shrinks (I.e the spacer) and your spacing of upper and lower shafts is critical in setting the gap between your copper ring on your wheel and the blinker assembly on your steering column. Note you must set the metal support for the blinker assemble as low on the steering column as possible. I had to use a second spacer and cut 3/16” off to create a slightly greater space to get my older column in alignment just right.

Be aware, your but that holds the wheel on must have at least 1 full thread past the top of the nut to ensure the nut has properly gripped the as much of the threads on the shaft as possible.

https://www.vancafe.com/171419549-p/171419549.htm

Submariner
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: