Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Kombi
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
regendub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself and my bus. Been on the site for awhile but havent posted much, mainly lurking. This is my first split window bus. It's kind of a train wreck, but I couldnt be more excited to own it! Hopefully with your guidance and help I'll be able to save her.

Heres some pictures of what I have to start with! I dont know any of the backstory on the damage, only that the bus has sat for about 15 years on an island here in Washington State. *The last 2 pictures are not mine. Just used to show the sides of the bus.*

Heres the M-Code plate. I mamaged to decode most of it, but what is the color code? (Obviously it says "GREEN" but the decoder chart only covers numbers. Is the color really just called plain old green?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

it's L380 turquoise green.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regendub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

EmpiGT, Shocked I absolutely would never have guessed that looking at it now. Thank you!
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

Give you something to aim for.. Wink
You don't see L380 on many commercial busses and trucks.
I like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

regendub wrote:
This is my first split window bus. It's kind of a train wreck, but I couldnt be more excited to own it! Hopefully with your guidance and help I'll be able to save her.

It has a pretty original looking 1500 engine so that could be good.
regendub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

EmpiGT, is mine a commercial bus? I now know what everything on the m-plate is, except the "3" after the production date. If it is a commercial bus, what is the tale tell sign of it?

Barry: Glad to know that! I havent dug into the bus yet to see what all is original and not.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

regendub wrote:
EmpiGT, is mine a commercial bus? I now know what everything on the m-plate is, except the "3" after the production date. If it is a commercial bus, what is the tale tell sign of it?

Barry: Glad to know that! I havent dug into the bus yet to see what all is original and not.

it is a kombi. no cloth headliner (cardboard). Black knobs and steering wheel, etc.

this will be a lot of work, hopefully it looks good underneath? Looks like you will need just about every repair panel they make

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
mike brind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

could you not have found a better project to start with , man that's some job, good luck with your build chap.
regendub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

Mandraks: I actually had not realized that's what that meant. Lol thank you. The frame looks to be in solid shape, but pretty much everything else is rotten or cut through when it comes to the cargo and front floor. The rear wheel wells up are pretty solid with the exception of 2 quarter sized holes.

This is the only damaged section of frame I can see. Rear Passenger side.

Both sides of the frame underneath look like this. I havent poked around with a screw driver, but using my finger I wasnt able to find any soft spots.

Mike, im a sucker for trying to save junk. Laughing I hope to make this somewhat along the lines of what BurrlyHammer (on here) is doing. It will be a long term project for sure.
Black hound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

Rather you than me taking on this project. But I also said the same for burly hammers 15 window! It's been the best thread I've ever read, you should check out his thread.
Your bus is more work than I could ever take on but I wish you well with it and will watch with interest, cheer you on and if you ever complete il wish I owned it. Best of luck
Black hound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

I think we typed the above posts at the same time lol
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

You have your work cut out for you on this one.

It's cool that it's a Tuquoise Bus (GREEN) as there seems to less of those around, for whatever reason.

Also it's an original 1500cc Bus, which was an option in 1963 and also less common on the Commercial Buses (Kombis and Trucks).
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regendub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

Black Hound: Thank you for the kind words! I hope I can hold a candle to his thread. Lol I think we did as well. His thread has given me tons of inspiration for my bus. I'm going to use his bracing design for my bus before I cut the nose off.

EverettB: Interesting to know all of that! Im having a great time learning about this bus, as well as all the other variations and options for other busses. The motor spins freely and has oil in it, so I hope its a good candidate for rebuilding.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

If you want to know if the engine is the original to the Bus, post the engine # too.

I think there is a good chance it is since the engine looks like an almost all original '63 1500 based on the parts I can see in the photo you posted.
I think only the fuel pump is different.

You can also look at the Bus VIN charts here on the site.
If the engine # is from the same month/year as the VIN # for the Bus, it is probably the original
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regendub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

Everett: correct me if this is the wrong number but this is what I found. And I believe looking at that chart, it would fall into the Feb 63 range, which matches the build date on the M-Code.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

Yes, that is a 2/63 1500cc engine number.
It matches very closely with your M-code date - I am sure it's the original.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

that is quite a project. I'd totally take it on. Just be mindful that you'll have to make several structural repairs. The unibody as a whole looks twisted. See how the rear hatch doesn't line up to the sides of the opening? And the roof supports are clearly compromised, it might have been rolled. Anything is fixable with some patience.

One piece of advice I'll pass on that helps me out is don't try to look at the entire project as a whole, its just way to overwhelming. Break it out into small to very small tasks and tackle them one thing at a time. When you see yourself starting to make progress it will motivate you to keep going. Oh and don't buy parts until you need them for the next task.

It's not about what anyone else thinks you can or can't do. Your imagination and self-motivation are the only real limits.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regendub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

Edgood: Thank you for the advice, I appreciate the encouraging words!

Yeah, the roof has been dented in the full length (the birds are enjoying the bathtub Laughing ) and it appears something fell on the drivers side of the bus (im guessing a tree). The rear has also been pulled apart from the interior a bit which I'm guessing is a combination of the side, roof, and rear damage. I'm planning to make a lot of bracing like what BurlyHammer made. It looks perfect for my situation.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

Sweet Jesus..

Sending you good karma on that one - big project.

Thats the rare Dutch Green colour - abbreviated

NEEDs GREEN

(Sambarcasm)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Kombi Reply with quote

Wow. That bus needs some TLC. Like Edgood1 said, “one thing at a time”. My bracing was/is crude, but very adjustable. I did the same thing for the front when I removed the valance. This bus looks like a massive challenge but that’s what makes it fun. Good luck Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: