Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drop Arm removal
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Drop Arm removal Reply with quote

Bentley makes everything seem so easy.

"Using a puller, remove the drop arm from the shaft".

Well that ain't gonna happen. I have the exact puller pictured in the Bentley, I have wacked the arm with a hammer, sprayed it with SiliKroil, and used the Impact Gun, but there is sits.

Oh yeah, I heated it up with some propane then the Impact again.

Any other tricks?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop Arm removal Reply with quote

Find a bigger puller. Torque it till ya think it'll explode. Those buggers are tight!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Drop Arm removal Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Find a bigger puller. Torque it till ya think it'll explode. Those buggers are tight!

And it will sound like an explosion when it finally lets go.... Shocked
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Drop Arm removal Reply with quote

All the ball joints have been startling when they pop off. This arm is a bit bigger and my face and head are under there with it. I'll keep spraying and whacking and move on to something else.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Drop Arm removal Reply with quote

You need a Pitman arm puller, this is an OTC one, it has pulled a lot of arms. On several occasions i have cranked it down as hard as possible then just left it, check it every hour or so to give the bolt a little crank, eventually you will hear the bang or if overnight you will find the tool and Pitman arm on the ground.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Drop Arm removal Reply with quote

The arm is probably rusted on and thus has a molecular connection. There are some things you can do to break that connection before you try pulling. Heat is obviously the big one, although you have to be careful with the steering box nearby. Another is vibration. Tap with mild force on the arm where it attaches to the box with a hammer for a good five minutes, then load up your puller and tap some more. The reason impact wrenches work so well to break things loose is the tapping they do.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Drop Arm removal Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
You need a Pitman arm puller, this is an OTC one, it has pulled a lot of arms. On several occasions i have cranked it down as hard as possible then just left it, check it every hour or so to give the bolt a little crank, eventually you will hear the bang or if overnight you will find the tool and Pitman arm on the ground.

Amazon had them for $63 with tax. I can't seem to find them in any of the parts store's loan-a-tool programs. It was a PRIME item, so maybe I can use it, clean it and return it..... Twisted Evil

Will be here Tuesday, so I will find out. I also found a new arm for about $50, so if this sucker does not work, I will break out the sawzall.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Drop Arm removal Reply with quote

Really?

Add it to the tool box, I have used mine for other things besides Pitman arms, works better than a pickle fork for some jobs, if it will fit makes a great puller.

Give it time to work, it can take hours, sometimes overnight, make sure the side clamping bolts are snug, they keep the tool from slipping off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Drop Arm removal Reply with quote

Quote:
It was a PRIME item, so maybe I can use it, clean it and return it.....

that is so unethical and lowlife if you did that, here is a better idea:

with your puller on very tight, and the nut on loosely to keep it from flying off and hurting someone, put a large hammer 90 degrees from the puller, and hit it with another big hammer. The blow will shock it. Then tighten it again and hit it with two hammers opposite one another again. It will sound like a 22 going off when it comes off.

example from Internet photo at cdn.instructables.com:

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop Arm removal Reply with quote

Don't not remove the nut, just loosen it a turn. This will keep things from flying all over the place and maybe save you a trip to the dentist or plastic surgeon. Yes load the puller up and then do the trick with the two heavy hammers.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Drop Arm removal Reply with quote

I have two of these. The bigger one works well pulling the arm off steering boxes

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop Arm removal Reply with quote

DONE. I am gonna have to give some credit to the SiliKroil. Once the arm came off I could see that the whole shaft was wet.

The tool and the impact did there part for sure. There is no way to hit that with 2 hammers. 1 hammer with the tool removed was the best I could do a couple nights ago.

Just glad the gear box is off. I cleaned it up, got lots of TAR off of it, and now I need to study up on rebuilding the gear box.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: