Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alwaysuphigh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug Reply with quote

Please Help! My 70 won't get gas to the pump.
She defies the laws of physics !

Here is what I have done:

replaced pump, rod, and stand. (Yes rod is correct size and moves up and down)

replaced the gas line from the tank to the pump.

replaced gas tank with new one

When I pull the line no gas comes out unless I bend it down to the floor. Then it only trickles.

20 years of air cooled and I have never seen this.

Any ideas out there?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug Reply with quote

Tank vent plugged/obstructed maybe. Does fuel come out of the line better than a trickle if you remove the gas cap?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug Reply with quote

Venting? Try it with the gas cap off. Does gas flow from the flexible line, in the front, when you take it off of the hard line coming out of the tunnel?

Edit: Dangit Mukluk, you beat me to it! Very Happy
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104

Last edited by beetlenut on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug Reply with quote

You might also need to "roto rooter" the line from front to back with a piece of cable on a drill.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug Reply with quote

Pull the fuelline off of the rear hard line at the rear of the car. Does that line flow?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug Reply with quote

I wonder if the check valve in your fuel pump is bad.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug Reply with quote

Did your 70 get gas flow BEFORE you changed all that stuff?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug Reply with quote

When you replaced your tank did you get the new sock filter and everything installed? Is it possible your short fuel line from tank to tunnel is kinked?

On TDCTD1's advice- I'd actually blow our roto from back to front- to reverse the direction of the lodging if any. Kind of like giving it a Heimlich maneuver- you want the meatloaf to come back up...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
alwaysuphigh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I did try everything mentioned.

As it turns out...I needed to prime the carb. Now it flows like a river and runs great.

She is on the road again!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug Reply with quote

I'm hijacking this thread as I'm facing a similar fuel starvation problem, and the OP has solved his problem.

My '70 has been sitting for a while- long enough for the bowl to dry out. New tank in, carb primed, quick blast of starter fluid, it fired right up. Once the bowl went dry, the engine stalled out. Checked the pump- no problems. Primed carb again and fired up- no gas getting to the engine. Gas cap was removed, so no venting issues.

Hooked up compressor to gas line, 140psi towards the tank from the engine bay:

Pulled the sending unit to see bubbles- nothing. Absolutely nothing. No fuel leaks that I can find or smell, but that compressed air went..... no where, apparently.

Put everything away for tonight. Later I'll pull the short length of flexible fuel line under the tank. It wasn't kinked when reinstalled, but I'll see if anything leaks from the tank there. Gotta be an obstruction somewhere between the tank and the carb. The compressed air should have dislodged something, right?

By the way, that IS a cheap plastic fuel filter in my engine bay- I've run all my VWs like this for the last 21 years with no fires or leaks. Never had a fuel inlet fitting pull out of the carb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug Reply with quote

If you're getting gas TO the carb (check by diverting that hose into a jar while helper cranks, careful: flammable) yet the carb bowl is not filling, check the inlet/float valve that screws into the top cover of the carb.

And wouldn't hurt to measure the fuel pressure too coming from the pump.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug Reply with quote

Unhook the line from the tank to the tunnel up front. Do the compressed air thing again at the back of the car. Use a helper to see, feel, listen for the air to come out the hard line that you just removed the hose up front from.

If no air, you obviously have an obstruction in the hard line that goes through the tunnel.

Check your soft line that fits to th tank up front, as well as from the rear soft line at th back of the tunnel.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
blata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mysterious Fuel Starved Bug Reply with quote

Hi, I'm working on a similar situation. But I haven't gotten to the compressed air yet. I just wanted to confirm that fuel should flow from the fuel line coming out of the fire wall if removed from the pump inlet?

**update**
NM. I just tried the compressed air and now its free flowing. I guess the next step is cleaning out the tank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: