Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how much to grind? 6 to 12 volt flywheel
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: how much to grind? 6 to 12 volt flywheel Reply with quote

guys how far should my 12 volt flywheel sit into my tranny? I got it flush right now.(removed from motor).test fitting it to my 6 volt tranny.i don't know how far it needs to sit into transaxle.i been grinding away with a nice cutting bur.6 to 12 volt flywheel conversion.any info? pics? thanks.getting so close!!.getting scared to grind it much more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: how much to grind? 6 to 12 volt flywheel Reply with quote

What I did was look at the high points where I though flywheel would touch and used black magic marker to color surface, then slide motor in and rotate it a bit (30-40 degrees) thinking that it would scuff off the black coating on the high points, yes it did show some scuffed points so that is where it needed grinding.... Repeated process to where it has clearance.... Seem to remember there was two points near bottom where lower engine studs when through bell housing (yes you can cut a bit into the hole stud goes through) and a bump near starter ...

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=128500

If you listen to people who advocate just shove engine in and then start it to clearance, I don't think you will be happy with process....

And use vacuum cleaner often while grinding... It's a surprise sitting on floor doing grinding and you get a funny warm feeling in your lap and find the aluminum/magnesium dust has ignited.... Don't Ask!...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: how much to grind? 6 to 12 volt flywheel Reply with quote

thanks dale.ya I will install crank and see whats left(marked up).ya that's what I was wondering.getting thin by the bushing and bottom bolts but its close to break thru point,but also needs a smidge more cut I believe.ill use a black sharpie.gave up on it last night to ask questions and think some more about it.i know I am very close.i want to start this motor so bad!!.ONE more question DALE or anyone.did the 1971 stock (oem) flywheel for a 1971 1600cc dp come with 4 dowel pin holes or 8?.i have 4 on crank I know that's stock.but 8 holes on the flywheel.and my flywheel weighs 16 pounds.so I know its not lightend.(i think).i don't know stock flywhl weight.so I believe I have an aftermarket? 8 hole flywheel?.stock weight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: how much to grind? 6 to 12 volt flywheel Reply with quote

I meant crank over a half a milli second to see any flywheel marks dale.i did also change my rear main seal on engine and o ring inside flywheel while I have it off.lots of pics of my bug work to come.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: how much to grind? 6 to 12 volt flywheel Reply with quote

To best of my knowledge stock was always 4 dowl pins... Anthing with 8 dowl pins is after market....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: how much to grind? 6 to 12 volt flywheel Reply with quote

thanx for the link dale
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: