Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fourteen States in Seven Weeks?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Hi folks, I'm back at it again, driving across the country. The social quorum on my other thread voted for a new one, so here we go. If you would like to read about my 2016 lap of the country, it's here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658126

This time, I've already left on the trip, so there won't be ten pages of banter… Dressed in my finest "old guys rule" shirt, I packed up the bus* and headed out on the road.

Here's the last shot of Buddy in the daylight outside Brian's family's house. We had a Good Weekend, which if you know us, means there was some stellar food, beer, company, and copious amounts of relaxing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Right now, I'm posting from my new wireless hotspot, new power inverter, and ten-year-old laptop. Shown here is my Tilly flyswatter/hat for these damn mosquitos that seem to be all over the Mojave Desert… It's too hot to keep the windows closed, but too many damn bugs to open them. I'll be making a pit stop at a hardware store in Las Vegas tomorrow morning to buy screen material to cover the sliders and rear vent window. (I can hear the bugs smacking into my windows to get at my LED setup… Just like the gawkers at the last car show!)

*Apparently if I pack fast enough, I'll remember every single tool and part for every job I'll ever do, but manage to forget my pillow and bed sheets. I'll also be stopping at the next Bed, Bath, & Beyond, hoping that my 20% off coupons will be honored even if they're in another state… Tonight's mosquito-fill sweat fest will be featuring some beach towels as blankets and a jacket as a pillow…

It's another few hundred miles to Salt Lake City, then it's a right turn to Breckenridge, and another right to Tulsa. From there we hook left to Springfield, Urbana, La Crosse, and Minneapolis. A quick trip to San Diego is next, just in time for Fathers' Day. Whew.

Drive on dudes.
Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Tue May 08, 2018 10:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
but manage to forget my pillow and bed sheets. I'll also be stopping at the next Bed, Bath, & Beyond, hoping that my 20% off coupons will be honored even if they're in another state…

Banter? It’s the best part Wink Still think I have a towel of yours. You know where to find it. Safe travels buddy.

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

I’m in Orange on Friday Saturday for Dads CA Memorial. Does Buddy do Urn Church Services?

Laughing
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Keep going east a few more hours, and swing by Indianapolis in the next few weeks...

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

If your route between Breckenridge and Tulsa brings you anywhere near Manhattan, KS do let me know!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

I’ll let you guys know about the route when I decide on it! I’m not using a GPS this trip, just a few old maps every morning when I wake up.

Woke up here today:

Soooo I had my first breakdown already Sad

Apparently going 200 miles with the window all the way down was too much for my spot rtv circa 2012. Oh well, I’ll glue it back and get over it.

This car won’t give up. Sixteen miles floored at 2800 RPM in the truck lane, and we saw the highest CHT temps of 2018. Check out the oil pressure and RPM halfway through the climb too... This is why I’ve stopped responding to 20w50 haters. Laughing It was ONLY 95* on this particular desert crossing... At 10am...

Played ‘tourist’ around noon:

And now I’m scarfing down my last In-N-Out burger before hitting the dry states...
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Quote:
This is why I’ve stopped responding to 20w50 haters

11 PSI / 1000. That is about what we see climbing into Yosemite on hot 100F + days. Straight 40 is what VW recommends when it is that hot but the start up temp when cold is way too high. Maybe it is only buses with California plates that experience this. Smile

With you coming from beautiful mild SoCal - just remember that 3 to 4 days ago in OK, MO and southern KS they had 30+ tornados. If you don't like the weather ahead just wait, or go around it. We bought gas in my 1971 bus back in the 80's at a gas station back there, and less then 2 hours after we pulled out it and six people ceased to exist. We hit rain in Ok so heavy that the speedo stopped working above 45 mph (it wasn't the cable or speedo).

Have a really great journey.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

14 states in 7 weeks....sounds like a country song

Link

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

A) I’ll let you guys know about the route when I decide on it! I’m not using a GPS this trip, just a few old maps every morning when I wake up.

B) And now I’m scarfing down my last In-N-Out burger before hitting the dry states...
Robbie

a) Any potential intercept points with the Itinerant Air-Cooled Itinerator?

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=13559#p228336

I think we could do an interstate crossover photograph that would be epic.

b) Perhaps you will learn of the special bland itinerant diet that best allows you to sleep unbothered in the hot muggy air of an enclosed Volkswagen in summer . . .
ColinBackInFL
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
And now I’m scarfing down my last In-N-Out burger before hitting the dry states...
Robbie

Not quite, there's an In'n'Out in Centerville, just north of SLC - you can see the sign from I-15 lol
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

I used to get a roll of "cheese cloth" (walmart, target) and use some magnets (or blue tape) to hold it across the open rear door. Plenty of ventilation; no bugs. (Possible security issues...)

A compass is handy. On overcast days in the flat states, sometimes hard to tell which way is which...

For a cross country run, 20w-50's fine. Had no problems with it. I now run 10w-40 summer and 10w-30 winter.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guzzirider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

awesome

great that these old vehicles are still rolling
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

a) Any potential intercept points with the Itinerant Air-Cooled Itinerator?

[img]

b) Perhaps you will learn of the special bland itinerant diet that best allows you to sleep unbothered in the hot muggy air of an enclosed Volkswagen in summer

a) I actually don't think so this year. It looks like I'll be a few weeks behind you as you leave Southern California, and a month behind you when you leave Oregon. Sad

b) Is it possible to learn this power??

Telford, I use my stock Westy rear mosquito screen when I'm camped remotely or in a campground, but when I'm a quarter mile off the interstate because I got sleepy driving, I don't have much choice. I'm looking into these guys now:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1797668

Why, today I just grabbed some aluminum mesh screen in Cedar City, UT and cut my sliding windows in the pattern. A few neogndburjgium magnets and I'll have wide open sliders or cracked open sliders wherever!

samwise wrote:
Not quite, there's an In'n'Out in Centerville, just north of SLC - you can see the sign from I-15 lol

Oh, that is most excellent to know, thank you!! Cool

Don and Kevin, you guys are going to get a tcash sticky of semi-related music video posts and I love it. Cool

Steve, do you think I should stop and remove my rev-limiting rotor and peg 5,000 RPM trying to outrun a tornado? Or should I save five seconds and leave it in, and just nurse it at 4,600?

--

My campsite tonight is so beautiful I forgot to take pictures with my camera. I did find this little guy though:

Let me see if I can find the pictures from two years ago…
Robbie
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Tulsa? Is that actually happening?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Trying to sleep in really hot temperatures w/mosquitoes in a VW bus?

Link

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Robbie , get the vinyl screen, not the mesh. You will rip your hands and shants on the mesh, and the magnets will hold the vinyl better.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Not sure what the route is but I'll once again extend the invite for a place to rest in Boston if you make it this far.
Recently, without warning or planning, discovered a secret population of vee-dubbers in my neighborhood. Sort of amazing really....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
... do you think I should stop and remove my rev-limiting rotor and peg 5,000 RPM trying to outrun a tornado? Or should I save five seconds and leave it in, and just nurse it at 4,600?

It's not the engine you have to worry about at that speed so much (although it beats the snot out of the center main, without the counterweighted crank, and valve float with stock springs takes its toll), it's the cooling fan! They explode - and take out the fan housing in the process (ask me how I know). There are welded/brased fans which supposedly solve this problem, but I worry about the heat zone side effects on something spinning that fast...

Besides, if it's gonna get 'ya, it's gonna get 'ya...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
... do you think I should stop and remove my rev-limiting rotor and peg 5,000 RPM trying to outrun a tornado? Or should I save five seconds and leave it in, and just nurse it at 4,600?

It's not the engine you have to worry about at that speed so much (although it beats the snot out of the center main, without the counterweighted crank, and valve float with stock springs takes its toll), it's the cooling fan! They explode - and take out the fan housing in the process (ask me how I know). There are welded/brased fans which supposedly solve this problem, but I worry about the heat zone side effects on something spinning that fast...

Besides, if it's gonna get 'ya, it's gonna get 'ya...

Robbie - the argument that you can't go that fast because of the rev limiter won't work in Illinois, I can tell you that. If you push it to a sustained 6,000 RPM which the 1600 will do well, 20,000 - 40,000 miles will be the longevity of the engine. BTW, when you come across one of those snaky twisty things at 2am in the morning in the pouring rain in Oklahoma and homes around you are disappearing you won't be so snide about someone suggesting you leave if you don't like the way the weather looks.... two days later when you see a huge 200 year old heritage Oak tree in Texas moved from somewhere else just lying in a field with cows grazing around it, root ball and all but there is no hole nearby where the tree was plucked from you will be thankful you were late to that party too.

That said - the neat thing is that now at night when you have nothing to do you can sit in the bus, think Lego while watching Tram in old TV reruns on the laptop.

Link

tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

I use

and a zinc additive.

Recently refreshed my engine with 280k miles on it and it looked pristine inside with minimal wear. The hydraulic lifters love that synthetic too.

Enjoying the traveling thread, wish I could do something like that but too much tying me down right now.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: