Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

why no windshield wipers?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

There you go! Different strokes for different folks.

No I have never had a car that I washed the suspension, frame and body underside! Can't imagine finding the time to lavish that kind of detail on a car after every drive. Shocked

Good for you! Some day I hope I can too.

That's the difference between a collector and someone who just drives an old car! I drive mine in the rain to clean them up! Rolling Eyes
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Maybe this’ll be the next new craze.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

maybe they have no wipers because they don't work anyway.
The OLD wiper systems don't hold up very well.
I gave up the the old clockwork contraption and put in one from a newer model.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Obviously, whoever started this has never driven thru a rain deluge in a VW running a 6 Volt system & original wiper spindles...

You might as well try holding an umbrella out the passenger window (provided you have a passenger) at 60mph as it offers about the same safety & piece of mind...

And lets face it, no matter how well you tighten wiper arm set screws on 60 year old wiper posts you reach a point where you grow weary of watching yet another perfectly good new arm wriggle off them and to land on the shoulder of some highway, or somewhere where they are irretrievable.

After losing 1/2 dozen of useless wiper arms on my Oval?

Screw it... Chrome Acorns & Rain-X

Problem solved.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

You'd think if VW could design a whole car, they could design wipers that don't fall off. Sure it's not user error? Laughing

But seriously, if you have wiper arms that wiggle around even when the nut is tightened, the solution is to make a shim. A small thin piece of brass or aluminum (got a beer can to cut up?) solves the issue.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

I'm sure the god like vw engineers had a very good reason as to why they didn't design an adequate wiper system even after Nader pointed out their inadequacy. I think they didn't want us to out drive the road conditions or the abilities of the car. Genius!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Odd thing is I don't recall having trouble with my wipers but then I only had a '64, '65, '66, '68, '71 SB - oh yes and a '74 Mexican standard. Apart from turning them on in the winter when they were frozen down in ice that is but that was just driver stupidity.

Just lucky I guess...
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Interesting, my dads 65 Chevrolet had real wipers, his 65 bug had the equivalent of his 31 model A vacuum wipers, maybe the Chevy was ahead of its time Shocked
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

What exactly was wrong with them again?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

What’s wrong is it the owner is dealing with 50 year old parts and thinks they should function as new indefinitely. *News Flash* parts wear out and it’s up to you to maintain the system.... Very Happy
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
What’s wrong is it the owner is dealing with 50 year old parts and thinks they should function as new indefinitely. *News Flash* parts wear out and it’s up to you to maintain the system.... Very Happy

For sure, but for the record VW did make a wiper and design change with the 65 model.
Although if they had a standard, "A" sedan or a 1200"A" they would be complaining because in those models the wipers are not self parking. Heaven forbid you would have to wait for the wiper to come to it's beginning point to shut the wipers off manually.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Ok it’s pretty safe to say you are a fair weather type of guy and that’s your business. There is no right answer here and I can agree with the hurting back aspect of it. 😀

As luck would have it, we attended a show over on the coast this weekend. About 1.5 hour drive each way. We almost didn't go due to the forecast but decided to head out and risk it. Started to rain when we were 30 minutes out. Not bad except I must not have tightened the drivers side wiper arm tight enough and it began slipping. I drove the last portion with a small "V" of vision. Fun. Got there, had a nice time and left to drive home. Started raining about half way on/off. Still had a loose wiper arm. Got within 5 minutes of home and it absolutely deluged. So windows up, easily 90 degrees out trying to keep the windows up so as not to let tons of rain in. Was able to keep the windows cracked enough to keep from fogging luckily. By the time we got home, we were all drenched, from sweat.... Seats lived up to my expectations as being exceedingly uncomfortable. My wife likened it to a Spanish Inquisition torture device and said she'll be following behind in the JSW or her Jeep next year if I decide to go again. I woke up Sunday morning and popped a muscle relaxer and tramadol....

Still love the car and will alway enjoy driving it short distances, but long distance driving is totally out of the question for me. This would be why.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Anyway what's the big deal with rain on your car? Sun and heat will wreak more stuff on your car than the odd rain shower ever will!

For me it's not the rain on the car, it's what happens underneath. The spray from the wet road deposits mud and grit on the underside, and the moisture creeps into all the nooks and crannies. That's what gets the rust started.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Seats lived up to my expectations as being exceedingly uncomfortable.

I drove four hours in my new minivan on Friday, and seven hours in my 62 Beetle's seats on Saturday. I felt much better after the seven hours in the Beetle than the four hours in the minivan. Somehow, the Beetle's seats are the most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Seats lived up to my expectations as being exceedingly uncomfortable.

I drove four hours in my new minivan on Friday, and seven hours in my 62 Beetle's seats on Saturday. I felt much better after the seven hours in the Beetle than the four hours in the minivan. Somehow, the Beetle's seats are the most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in.

I couldn't disagree more. I drove 17 hours straight in my JSW to Ohio, spent the night and then drove 17 hours back to Florida without at issue. My legs were falling asleep and my back hurt after a couple of hours in the bug.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

I find bug seats more comfortable for me than any other vehicle I've owned.
Did you drive Barry?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
I find bug seats more comfortable for me than any other vehicle I've owned.
Did you drive Barry?

Yeah it was Barry. I did recently unclip the drivers seat cover and tighten it up as the metal tabs were tearing through. Maybe it tightened up too much? I’m wondering if the padding may need redone. I have the foam pads in my 64 and they’re a little more comfortable. Either way I wouldn’t consider them comfortable for much more than 30-40 minutes. Guess I’m spoiled. Lol. With that said, I recently found that the OG fabric seems to be available and seriously contemplating getting the seats redone. Project for the fall.

Last edited by Sharp64 on Mon May 07, 2018 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Late Beetle seats were very good '68 and on. Rabbit seats were excellent as are our 944 seats.

Last summer we went 11 hours straight twice in the fiberglass buckets in our Manx copy. Not as good as the above but acceptable.

Oh and the wipers worked just fine in spite of being stock Beetle units! We were very glad we had them several times!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Link
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Aquapel > RainX

http://www.aquapel.com/What-is-Aquapel.php
https://www.amazon.com/Aquapel-Glass-Treatment-Sin...ds=aquapel

Not as 'slippery' as RainX (sheeting usually happens about 5-10mph above when RainX would begin sheeting) but it lasts for months with one application.

I typically only need to apply it twice a year to my DD Mazda. I rarely need the wipers above 40mph in the Mazda.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: