Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan housing
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Fan housing Reply with quote

In the spot where the coil bolts to the fan housing, is the actual fan housing threaded, or is there one of those welded nuts in the backside of the housing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan housing Reply with quote

There's a nutsert. The sheet metal is way too thin without one.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan housing Reply with quote

It’s like a rivnut? So you can pop a new one in with the engine in?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’m just wondering because since I bought my car, my coil faces straight down, I’m assuming it was like that because of the ac compressor, and I never looked close enough at the other hole. Since all that junk is removed from the car, I may want to angle the coil back the stock way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mjtracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan housing Reply with quote

Normal orientation for the coil is facing down.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan housing Reply with quote

mjtracy wrote:
Normal orientation for the coil is facing down.

Facing down, at an angle, my own 1971 engine in my 1970 sedan. I've had this engine since 1976. Yes, I know: 1970 Pierburg fuel pump, German 009, Solex 30/31 distributor on manifold adapter....I used cheese head 6.0mm x 1.00mm screws to mount the coil, but my 1835cc engine has hex head screws there.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan housing Reply with quote

VW used neither a nutsert nor a rivnut, though either would work if you wish to go that route. The original setup used square nuts welded inside the fan housing.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan housing Reply with quote

That’s what I had always figured. It’s a crappy design too. They used the same type of design on my 2002 TDI control arms. When you go to unbolt them they pop off in the middle of the unibody.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan housing Reply with quote

Exactly Cusser. In an angle downward. The rightward screw/bolt was never on my car since I’ve owned it. I’ve not touched it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fan housing Reply with quote

Although technically incorrect a big self tapping sheet metal screw will make a quick repair. Many of these were used over the years to relocate voltage regulator on a six volt engine doing the 6 to 12 conversions...
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fan housing Reply with quote

I’m going to take a closer inspection today. I almost feel like mine is attached by the screw hole closer to the right. Like the left hole in the bracket, is on the right hole in the housing. Like I said, I think this was done when that fugly compressor was in the car.

Also, how do you refresh the wires going to the coil out of the harness?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fan housing Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I’m going to take a closer inspection today. I almost feel like mine is attached by the screw hole closer to the right. Like the left hole in the bracket, is on the right hole in the housing. Like I said, I think this was done when that fugly compressor was in the car.

Also, how do you refresh the wires going to the coil out of the harness?

Depending on the condition of the wires, a lot of time I will cut them back fairly close to the firewall and splice (solder) new wires. The small split loom from Harbor Freight is nice, Something that I like to do to keep things a little cleaner is rout the wires for the oil pressure and coil behind the coil bracket. And I have done the heavy (I think #14) sheet metal screw to secure the coil on shrouds without the nutserts.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: