Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar install suggestions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That’s it. A sailboat fire is like a Vanagon fire that you have to watch while in your seat waiting for the gas Tank to burn. You wire somewhat differently thinking that way. You become aware of every force and place where the wire touches the car.

Boating is a different world from auto-based travel. My dad regularly took his wife and kids 10 miles off-shore on Lake Michigan (decades before SPOT took all the fun out of it) in a motor-boat he designed and built from scratch (the Eaton sterndrive and in-line six came out of a salvage). Those were amazing days spent swimming in the middle of nowhere that ended with the Chicago skyline eventually coming into view and the lights of Diversy Harbor guiding us home. It never occurred to me that there was any risk involved because it all came so naturally to him. We can walk away from Vanagon fires or call AAA if we need assistance. Not so on the water.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:

Lots of folks attach their panels to the roof, etc., but why beat up your panel with wind and rain and road grime by attaching it to your roof? You don't need the panel until you camp so it's really not doing you any good on the roof while you are driving around. Less holes in your roof is also a good thing... Cool

RichBenn wrote:
This last paragraph is just not true. Millions of people have panels on their vans, Motorhomes and trailers, not to mention a few hundred million on homes and solar farms with rare failures, no leaks, no problems. The glass used is rated for hailstorms that would pock mark your tin top or crack your fiberglass.

I agree with Richbenn. I have a panel on the roof and a portable one I can use if I am in the shade. Best of both worlds. Many times I do not need to bother with the portable one at all. And a real benefit of the roof panel is that it keeps the house and starting batteries topped up between drives when it is parked outside.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

Yeah kind of an odd opinion to have about equipment designed to be out in unsheltered locations and in every kind of weather 24/7/365 for 30 years or more, and very well proven to endure such conditions at that.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sasmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

I am helping a friend install his auxiliary battery system and he is adding solar. I have not installed solar but have installed a few auxiliary battery systems. So from reading I still have one main question. When the engine is running, does the solar controller and/or panel need protection from the alternator current coming from the house battery other than an inline fuse? We will have a Blue Sea SI-ACR installed as typical between starter post and house battery. House battery feeds a Blue Sea fuse box. House battery will power LED interior lights, sink pump, 1- 12V outlet, 1- dual USB charger, stereo via fuse box. No fridge or heaters. Planning on running direct from solar panel>controller>fuse>house battery. Also, what gauge wire is recommended from the controller to the house battery?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

sasmith wrote:
I am helping a friend install his auxiliary battery system and he is adding solar. I have not installed solar but have installed a few auxiliary battery systems. So from reading I still have one main question. When the engine is running, does the solar controller and/or panel need protection from the alternator current coming from the house battery other than an inline fuse? We will have a Blue Sea SI-ACR installed as typical between starter post and house battery. House battery feeds a Blue Sea fuse box. House battery will power LED interior lights, sink pump, 1- 12V outlet, 1- dual USB charger, stereo via fuse box. No fridge or heaters. Planning on running direct from solar panel>controller>fuse>house battery. Also, what gauge wire is recommended from the controller to the house battery?

No I don't think the controller will allow current to backflow to the panel. You should be good given your solar controller -> battery (or fuse block) is fused.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

Check with the company that makes the solar controller but all the ones I have seen are designed to be compatible with another charging source on the battery bank (alternator or power supply/charger).

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
buelteman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

I installed my HQST 100W panel to my Westy roof using snaps, allowing its removal on site with extension cables so I can lace it in the sun regardless of camper location. I took the screw-in male posts, ground them down to just less than the thickness of the fiberglass roof, dipped them in marine epoxy and screwed them home. Now the panel is secure, charges my battery whenever it needs it, and is easily removed. Cables run down 2 1" PVC pipes riveted to my lift struts on one side where the cables enter, as you don't want to run excessive cable lengths between your panels and your controller if you can avoid it. Add a HQST 20A controller, a Renogy 100AH battery, Renogy 1000W converter, and a Victon Cyrix-CT combiner, and you are in business. If I had to do it again, I would stick to one manufacturer instead of 3.
Peloquin Limited Slip Diff
H&R Progressive Rate Springs
300 Watt 13 speaker stereo
Audi Disc Brakes
LED driving and interior lights
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
willwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

buelteman wrote:
I installed my HQST 100W panel to my Westy roof using snaps, allowing its removal on site with extension cables so I can lace it in the sun regardless of camper location. I took the screw-in male posts, ground them down to just less than the thickness of the fiberglass roof, dipped them in marine epoxy and screwed them home. Now the panel is secure, charges my battery whenever it needs it, and is easily removed. Cables run down 2 1" PVC pipes riveted to my lift struts on one side where the cables enter, as you don't want to run excessive cable lengths between your panels and your controller if you can avoid it. Add a HQST 20A controller, a Renogy 100AH battery, Renogy 1000W converter, and a Victon Cyrix-CT combiner, and you are in business. If I had to do it again, I would stick to one manufacturer instead of 3.

Would love more info on your setup with snaps.
Just bought 2x100w flex panels + controller + 100AH LifePo all from Renogy to replace my 2016 80w + 2 flooded 6v battery setup. I want to find a way to fix the panels to the roof in a way that they can be moved/removed, serviced or replaced. Gluing them with calking is too much of a commitment for me Smile

If you can share more info on how the panel is secured to the roof as well as how and where you fished the wire into the van.

Thanks!
William
- 1989 Vanagon Westfalia EJ20
buelteman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

So, for me, rule #1 with the Westy is to use marine-grade products. More expensive, but built to endure.

First, lay your panel on the roof and mark the location of the grommets on their edges for placement of the snaps.

Then get your snaps here, and use marine epoxy to secure them:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073K5F61G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Caps and sockets for your panels:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Fasteners-S...ES4SNWCY1V

First drill the screw holes at the previously marked locations as small as possible for maximum grip, inset one snap screw and measure the amount you will need to grind off. Grind all of the male snap screws to the same height/depth. insert threads into mixed epoxy, screw home and let cure.

As for the cable entry, I drilled holes the same size as the cables, with connectors on the roof so I can disconnect, add extension cables and place the panel where I need it.

Only down side is the slight chattering of the snaps due to their flexible rings in the sockets that keep the male parts connected. No solution for that just yet.
Audi Disc Brakes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
willwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

I agree with using the best product for the job. Someone wise once told me, "I can't afford to be cheap".

Great idea with the snaps, basically like a boat tarp.
My other concern with flex panels on the fibreglass roof is with heat dissipation.
Have you noticed issues with the panel heating the fibreglass? Any heat damage to the roof? Also, does the heat radiate into the van much?

A big part of my solar system is to power my Truckfridge. If panels on the roof increase the temperature inside the van, this will make the fridge work harder and lead to other issues down the road.

Really like the flex panel idea, even though performance is not as good as glass, however I want to make sure I get what I need and don't create other problems.
buelteman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

Haven't yet taken a trip with my solar installation - that begins tomorrow. The panel is 1/2" above the roof, so there is plenty of air passing in between the two.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Audi Disc Brakes
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

In my experience, panels on the roof create noise if not installed sufficiently far off the roof. What I mean by noise is rattling at 70MPH, tapping caused by air downdraft in the last 1/3 of the poptop, etc. You may be surprised at how much the middle of that panel, which lacks any snaps whatsoever, might flex and rap on the poptop roof.

My roof panels are mounted on aluminum bar stock, as seen on the left side of this photo. The bar stock is mounted to create a tensioned arc over the roof. This has kept things quiet.

I'd be interested in hearing more from you on whether or not this snap setup is quiet, and if the snaps actually hold the panel on the roof. There is a lot of unusual force up there.

I've encountered some Ford Transit van campers out there who have lost multiple solar panels on their roof, due to the force of wind ripping it off.

I do like the clean look, though.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
willwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

buelteman wrote:
Haven't yet taken a trip with my solar installation - that begins tomorrow. The panel is 1/2" above the roof, so there is plenty of air passing in between the two.

Thanks for the pic, very slick setup. Has to be one of the cleanest and most interesting I've found, good job! Keep us posted on how it holds up.

The 1/2" between the roof and panel, is that caused by the spacing of the snaps alone? Or is there another spacer in there?
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

Once the rain season slows down a little bit I intend to mount my solar panel in a similar manner as kourt. I'm planning to install Yakima or Thule tracks in the poptop and use similar aluminum bar to mount the panels (attaching the bar to the tracks).

I used to have a 100w flexible panel installed on my pop top using 3M Industrial Velcro (the one with mushroom tips, extremely strong, never an issue) but I realized that it somewhat constrained me (solution was too permanent). I have some OCD-issue in that I want to have flexibility/options to move things around or what panels to use/upgrade/replace (as needed) in case of problems, and wasn't able to do that with my previous setup.

I needed to repaint my poptop, so I removed the panel from the poptop (still working fine) and will install it with another one side by side (using the tracks method). In the future, when bigger panels with similar footprint show up, it would be very simple to swap the panel/s.

I think also that having the panels separated from the actual poptop will create a safari-like roof effect, essentially preventing the sun from heating the interior due to the air-gap (will see in the summer if that's correct).

kourt wrote:
In my experience, panels on the roof create noise if not installed sufficiently far off the roof. What I mean by noise is rattling at 70MPH, tapping caused by air downdraft in the last 1/3 of the poptop, etc. You may be surprised at how much the middle of that panel, which lacks any snaps whatsoever, might flex and rap on the poptop roof.

My roof panels are mounted on aluminum bar stock, as seen on the left side of this photo. The bar stock is mounted to create a tensioned arc over the roof. This has kept things quiet.

I'd be interested in hearing more from you on whether or not this snap setup is quiet, and if the snaps actually hold the panel on the roof. There is a lot of unusual force up there.

I've encountered some Ford Transit van campers out there who have lost multiple solar panels on their roof, due to the force of wind ripping it off.

I do like the clean look, though.

kourt

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
buelteman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

My snaps are not as quiet as I wished, but acceptable until I figure out how to silence them. No spacers - just the height of the male snaps keeps the panel lofted. Also considering some kind of all-weather flexible pad on sections of the back of the solar panel to eliminate the rattling of the snaps, but don't want to cover so much as to eliminate the air gap for cooling the panel.

SEE MY SOLUTION BELOW!
Audi Disc Brakes

Last edited by buelteman on Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
willwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

I like the snaps idea, but I can imagine the rattling is an issue.

I thought of putting small bumpers or pads in a grid under the panel. This would keep the (hot) panel off the roof while perhaps keeping it tight to reduce rattle and movement.
buelteman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

OK then. After 5 days on the south fork of the Trinity River in cold conditions, my system worked beautifully! My 100AH Renogy battery never went below 13.1 volts from a high of 13.3 volts, with all my interior lights on, 300 watt stereo on most of the time, and recharging batteries for my bike and chain saw every day! Great results. Also interesting that the noise factor from the snaps went up when I departed in 35 degree temps. I guess the small amount of shrinkage of the panel gave a little more room in the snaps for noise. It quieted down once the sun came up.

Audi Disc Brakes
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

I did my solar install which very detailed and covered here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

inorganic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

puchfinnland wrote:
I did my solar install which very detailed and covered here:

‘Puchfinnland’ - your work is amazing. I only wish you were in the PNW area so I could hire u to do my van! I appreciated your info about what makes a good solar panel - I’ll use that criteria when I’m looking for mine. Do you mind sharing which batteries you went with and where did you house them? Cheers!
buelteman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

No doubt that Puchfinnland has it dialed in to perfection! As for my simple install in the thread, my solution to the snaps rattling is at hand! Purchase a sheet of 1/2" closed cell wetsuit rubber with adhesive backing from Amazon (link below), trim, adhere, and you are good to go - no noise even at 80 MPH. (yes, that 1.8 T from Stephan's Auto House is a great way to go!) Puchfinnland's setup is great too, but mine is substantially less installation work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G3J6294/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Audi Disc Brakes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: