Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 345, 346, 347 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Cusser wrote:
So nice to have an easy fix, maybe having my 1971 parts, timing light, dwell meter, extra points and condenser here just scared it.

That seems to be the truth at times! Glad you were able to scare it into running!

I've found-even in my short time wrenching- that if I come absolutely prepared and equipped to the hilt, I'll only ever need a wrench to tighten some fastener or a bit of cleaner and a scuff pad to shine up a contact.

If I only come with basic tools, I always have a more involved project than I was expecting.

Now I just bring everything I can remotely imagine I might need, works everytime Laughing
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
webbracing03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: installed a radio Reply with quote

Turned a bad radio install from the last guy to a sleek Bluetooth setup
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Nice!
To take a cue from the previous post, I installed my new (to me) Sapphire X AM/FM radio yesterday evening;

Also, for the last several months the car has had an intermittent no-start issue when turning the key. (I had bought a hard start relay some time ago but never installed it, and now I have no idea what happened to it.) Finally this morning after another no-start I got sick of it and re-purposed my rear defrost relay to act as a hard start relay:

Works perfectly... car starts first turn of the key every time now! Dancing

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Took my Beetle out for a spin to the Lake of Constance.

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Washed it Sunday and moved it to the street so SharkWife could use the carport. When I shut it off, the ignition switch had issues actually going off. I'd take the key out and the dash lights stayed on. I figured I got it wet and after some fiddling the lights went out.

Last night went to move it back to the carport and ... womp womp. Dead battery.

Sigh. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Oh, and I did some work on my 68 Bug model. I don't like the blue carpet as much as I thought I would.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I reinstalled the coil and distributor back into my 1971, had taken those out to help troubleshoot running issues on my 1970 100 miles away. Turned out that the 1970 coil had spark arc issue, so cleaned that all up.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
webbracing03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: bug died and did not want to idle hot Reply with quote

Was driving it home today it’s been hard starting when it’s hot noticed that the fuel filter bubbles air when it parked did today getting off freeway. Gotmit home and decided to move the fuel filter to the outlet of the tank and not under the boot. Anyone have suggestions or problems with that location.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Washed and waxed the car today;

Then went in the house, came back out a couple hours later and the windshield had cracked!!! Confused

WTF???!! Mad

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finished cleaning the underside of my '72 Super of winter's junk. Yesterday, used prep & etch to treat the surface rust on the heat exchangers and frame horns. Today, primed and re-painted them and the lower engine tins. Adjusted the valves, changed the oil and filter (Maxi-2 oil pump w/external filter) from winter's QS 5W-30 to QS 10W-40 for high mileage engines.

Took 'im for a 20-mile highway run!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Washed and waxed the car today

Then went in the house, came back out a couple hours later and the windshield had cracked!!! Confused

WTF???!! Mad

Another reason that I don't wax my vehicles hardly ever !!! I could believe that cold water on a hot Arizona windshield could crack a windshield, but not AFTER the vehicle had been rinsed and dried off for the waxing. BUMMER of the first degree !!! Don't know if there's an acronym for that.

Anyway, today, at the advice (OK: nagging) of Mrs. Cusser, I removed the discolored old window film from the front windows and vent windows of my 1970 sedan.

After looking on Google and YouTube, and not having a "clothes steamer" (you kidding - with MY wardrobe???) and little success with Mrs. Cusser's hair dryer to warm the film, I decided to use my trusty single edge razor blade held in a little plastic holder, which I clamped in a Vise-Grips for safety. I also wore work gloves and safety glasses, in case the blade (I only had ONE blade here) broke.

So the manual labor with the single-single edge razor blade worked pretty well, then I used a little steel wool to remove any remaining glue, and also used some Windex-clone spray. So now the 43-year old window tint film is gone from those windows, we'll see if I feel up to doing the rear side and rear window someday.

You guys do not want or need to see "after" photos, here's a "before" photo

Then I drove into town to pick up a few things, including more single edge razor blades. I still smelled gas from when I filled the tank fully, from the area of those two small fuel filler hoses in the trunk. So I removed those and removed the little rubber seals that look like strips of bicycle tires and were ripped anyway, and just will try using the hoses and the 4 hose clamps tightened fully. A quick trip around the corral making sharp turns intentionally did not show any gas leakage so far.

The fill hose inner diameter is 48mm (1 and 7/8 inch) - Dayco #80305 runs about $30 for a three foot piece; Gates 23930 is more expensive for 1 foot and sold by the foot. I think if I need to replace the hose I'll get the Dayco and run a single piece of hose rather than getting 1 foot of Gates and using the black plastic VW elbow. And I'd try that without those separate rubber seals, seems like a redundancy.

An 8.5 inch piece of this hose sells for $17.95 at JBugs.com #311201219A https://www.jbugs.com/product/311201219A.html
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Yesterday I
Took her for front end alignment and new tires for front and spare wheels
Drove around aimlessly for about an hour, taking some pictures of cool things I found
Installed my fresh air hose-to-tin seals (PO never had these installed)
Re-ran fuel pump-to-carb hose (didn't like how it was routed the first time)
Measured the fuel filler neck (planning for replacing with the one piece filler hose I bought)
Found/fixed a small vaccum leak (I had left one of the caps off the carb Rolling Eyes )
Re-greased the shift road
Measured and planned for my new accessory fuse block I'll be installing this summer to run all extra add-on equipment I've done (rather than have a bunch of 'piggyback' things on the OEM fusebox)

...then hightailed it back to the garage just in time to get the Bug away before it rained

Successful day Cool
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Just checked shipping from Cip 1--parts should get here by Monday, maybe tomorrow?
My teen son and I are going to take the carburator off the bug and replace the diaphram on the accelerator pump--I'm sure there'll a post for that lol
webbracing03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

removed the egr and spent some time tuning the carb... i think ill replace it soon its the 1974 carb. going to do my electric fuel pump later this weekend tired of the mechanical one giving me trouble. also going to use isolated fuel line and relocation under the bonnet. Wait is the vw motor under the bonnet or the boot? its a boot if you think trunk and hood but its a bonnet for bug! Idea EMPI gt exhaust. and i think the rear engine cowling would helo the heat alot...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

On my 1970 sedan:
I glued a piece of carpet back onto the floor, had removed it to replace the pedal hook and clutch cable a few months ago.

I set the total advance to 32 BTDC on my German 009 (had been at 34 BTDC).

I replaced some of the fuel tank vacuum tubing, have been fighting a small gas smell while driving.

I changed the oil for first time since the engine rebuild, and the filter on my Maxi2.
ctknecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

In the past week, my son and I did quite a few things...

-Adjusted the valves for the first time, replaced valve cover gaskets of course.

-Finished changing out the fuel line to the proper one (PO had a flex line all the way from fuel pump to hard fuel line at frame.) See pics here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

-Changed oil and screen for the first time

-Adjusted timing (about 30 BTDC) on the centrifugal advance dist (planning to change this to the proper vacuum advance soon).

-Tuned Carb H30/31 PICT

(Man, the engine runs great now, I can actually feel it pull and not sputter. Very Happy )

-Installed correct gas tank vent line hose clamps and tightened up other connections, since I still smelled gas when I opened hood...seems to be better now.

-Replaced door seals

-Replaced a couple small fresh air vent hoses.

-Repaired horn mount and horn wiring (splices were bad, was working intermittently, and usually only if engine was running) and also repaired and re-routed a few of the other wires while I was in there...firmed up connections.

-Replaced Rearview mirror

-Replaced Glovebox

-Replaced Running Boards (OMG this was terrible...buy good ones, pay the extra money, cheap ones are terrible)

I am sure there was some other tid bits along the way that I missed, but now I feel a little better about my son driving it on small errands around town.

Happy Driving!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finished up 2 weeks' of refurbishing the rear drum brake backing plates on my '77 Std Beetle. Removed due to a leaking rear wheel cylinder on one side, symptom was an intermittent low brake pedal during my last drive last year.

Degreased the plates, used an angle grinder wire wheel cup brush to remove the worst of the rust, soaked them in Evapo-Rust for a full day. Result was not as impressive as others have reported. I think good ol' white vinegar would'vbe been just as effective per previous experience, but I wanted to try the E-R anyway. Had to spray one of the plates with Permatex Rust Treatment spray as a follow-up with which I';ve had excellent results. Spray-painted the plates with 2 coats of Rust-O-Leum rusty metal primer, and finally 2 coats of ROL semi-gloss black. There was lots of rust pitting on the back surface of the plates and I was strongly considering painting them with 2 coats of silver MAsterSeries for rust protection and pit-filling. But I did not have any more at home and wanted to progress. I will use an upcoming order of MS on the freshly beadblasted brake drums.

Also degreased all the brake shoe mounting hardware, so that reassembly is imminent.
Hippie1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I bought this a week ago it's sat in this driveway for five and a half years. Today I installed an electric fuel pump changed out the carburetor flushed out the gas tank and replaced the starter. Today for the first time in five and a half years it's running.

I sold my other Volkswagens 8 years ago and always regretted it, now I'm getting back into it this one will be my daily driver soon.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Good starting work with the '73's revival, hippie. A day spent with a cleaner wax, and painting the rims silver will make it look spiffy.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Pulled the heads off, installed "cool tin". Reassembled.

https://youtu.be/k4D4rugND78
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 345, 346, 347 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 346 of 449

Jump to: