Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying an oval!! Please,help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

Ok I'm looking into buying an oval. And I thought I was very knowledgeable in this category but it seems lately I've been thrown off by what I hear. So I've never heard of a bug having the body,stamp as the actual number being used as a vin on a title. In California DMV is a,pain! Any who is that possible? There is no front vin plate but the pan and body stamp do match up as far as dates in,concerns so I don't thought that both are correct for each other my problem is in the title and body,stamp being used as a,vin. From my knowledge vin is always the pan and plate upfront . Any answer would be great thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

You're right. The body stamp # is not the vin, but it California you can pretty much write whatever number you want down and an inspector will look at it and sign off on old cars like these.

---> Mar 2 1955 Strato Silver Oval <---
---> July 1957 ragtop project <---
---> May 5 1966 Ghia <---
---> 1962 Ruby Red Deluxe (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

I had my car inspected by a private inspector and he was only interested in the pan #. I asked if he wanted to see the front and he said no, DMV only cares about the pan.
Motorhead55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

I have had my Holland delivery, 1955 since 1979. My pink has the engine number as the vin. I still have the original engine case but have a lightly built 1700 in my car. In California, the DMV used to use the engine number as the VIN. When I sell the car this year, I will give the new owner all the 36hp case and parts.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

Motorhead55 wrote:
I have had my Holland delivery, 1955 since 1979. My pink has the engine number as the vin. I still have the original engine case but have a lightly built 1700 in my car. In California, the DMV used to use the engine number as the VIN. When I sell the car this year, I will give the new owner all the 36hp case and parts.
When I was retitling a '58 I had some time ago, I could not find the correct #'s on any of the paperwork and became concerned. When I went to DMV (Oregon) I was told that they would have to "archive" search on the vehicle. It took nearly 3 weeks, but they came back with "The car was titled by the engine #-this, but the body # is-this and the chassis/pan # is this-". All the numbers they gave me coincided, except for the fact that I didn't have the engine! I was able to re-title it using the chassis # after that.
Motorhead55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

Having the original engine case still for my car will be the key to an easy transfer. I still might have to have the CHP verify the numbers. Our DMV here in Commiefornia is a P.I.T.A.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

... once had a 1950 body on a 1972 pan, in NJ and the DMV tried to make me update the body to reflect 1972 body standards, which wouldda' ruined it./ So, I bought a title from another state using the 1950 body number as the vin and transferred it back into NJ.... that worked perfect.... Don't think i'd buy that car nvnipis1.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... once had a 1950 body on a 1972 pan, in NJ and the DMV tried to make me update the body to reflect 1972 body standards, which wouldda' ruined it./ So, I bought a title from another state using the 1950 body number as the vin and transferred it back into NJ.... that worked perfect.... Don't think i'd buy that car nvnipis1.

Looks like it was already upgraded to 1956 standards when you got it...lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

Looks like it was already upgraded to 1956 standards when you got it...lol

true, but 1956 parts were not 1972 standards either...
Here's that same car today... my guess is somewhere along the line, some state's DMV would not accept the body number as a VIN and the car was left to deteriorate.

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

What a shame on that one
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

Yes it is..🙄
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russ c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

I knowing that car was destined for disaster. What a shame!!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

… it lives!
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

Yep! California apparently wasn't too picky on which number got written down as the VIN number when the first title was created. My 1955 Deluxe Sunroof was titled/registered in the SFO Bay Area when new with it's engine number as the VIN number. Kinda sucks if your engine gave up the ghost may years and owners ago and was long ago thrown in the trash. Luckily my original engine is still purring away in mine.

Some States are easier than others to go into the DMV and/or State Highway Patrol vehicle inspectors and plead your case to have the title corrected for incorrect engine or body number back to the chassis number as the VIN. Good luck with that!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

My twin to Bill Bowman's 1955, L-370 Nile Beige, had the engine # as the VIN, as well... fortunately, like Bill, I had the original engine in it, so all I had to do was open the decklid, and remove the rear seat cushion, and gently tell the DMV it wasn't MY mistake, it was theirs..Then they wanted all the original documentation to be surrendered. (yah, like that was gonna happen)

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

Motorhead55 wrote:
Having the original engine case still for my car will be the key to an easy transfer. I still might have to have the CHP verify the numbers. Our DMV here in Commiefornia is a P.I.T.A.

I find "our" CA DMV to be lax, slack, oblivious, apathetic. indifferent, unconcerned. I've never had a clerk push an issue.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying an oval!! Please,help Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your insight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: