Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Class 12'ish single seater fun buggy
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris-a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Class 12'ish single seater fun buggy Reply with quote

Howdy.

I'm beginning the process of gathering parts and knowledge for a project I've wanted to do for a long time. I live out in the country in Western Oregon, we have lots of fire and logging roads around our mountains, but I'm from coastal San Diego. Until I moved up here I never had the space to build or store much besides my daily drivers. Now that's changed and I want to build a buggy for blasting around our local dirt roads, the wide open spaces of Eastern Oregon and perhaps taking down to the SoCal/AZ/NV deserts during our wet winters. I'm pretty good with my mig welder and quite a few years ago I worked for a bike company mitering and tack welding tubes, so I'm cautiously optomistic I can handle the fab work.

About 6 years ago I totally rebuilt the type iv 2.0 in my 77 westy. Less than 2 months later some crack head stole it and flipped it. It started and moved onto the flatbed and into the barn but it will never drive again. So that is the donor of the engine and transaxle I will be using for this build. Unfortunately, that van is parked at my inlaws farm in Central Washington and I can't get upto it for about 6 weeks.

I've looked at a lot of the Funco, Jimco and other brands of class 1/2 1600, 12 and score lite vehicles. That's basically what I want to build a single seat beam based vehicle. I have zero intentions of racing this vehicle, so travel limits and wheelbase constraints aren't a consideration. I've searched the area for a chassis for sale but have only found tandems or quad seats, except for one rusted out single that the guy must have thought was built out of gold. Lots of dune rigs, but most are for taking the whole family.

I'd like to run coilover shocks and pull as much travel as possible without going too crazy(13-16"front and 20-24" rear are my initial guesses).

Questions:
On a single seat chassis can I run anything narrower than a stock beam and still be able to run some longer travel rear trailing arms but maintain a reasonably similar track width?

If I stayed with the stock width beam, I was looking at this stock width front beam:
http://www.mooreparts.com/jm-pro-off-road-king-lin...ild-steel/

What would be a good rear match of trailing arms? some 3x3's?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around aftermarket vw/buggy suspension, I come from the solid axles world.

Thanks for any insight.
Chris

I gotta have nice tools, just look at the cars I drive.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 12'ish single seater fun buggy Reply with quote

I would think you would need to go wider and longer for that kind of travel. Myself, I prefer the front width to be similar to the rear. Doesn't matter if the front can squeze thru if the rear is over a foot wider.
Chris-a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 12'ish single seater fun buggy Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
I would think you would need to go wider and longer for that kind of travel. Myself, I prefer the front width to be similar to the rear. Doesn't matter if the front can squeze thru if the rear is over a foot wider.

Exactly, I'd like to keep both the front and the rear as narrow as possible. The douglas fir trees up here don't move when you run into them. Perhaps my initial suspension travel numbers were too high and I should desire more like 13 and 19".

-Chris

jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Class 12'ish single seater fun buggy Reply with quote

I don't know how feasible decent road trips are but as an old school enthusiast, I have noticed a few cool ones for sale on your side of the country.

Rory Ward of Racers Only Motorsport Designs has a Funco for sale, very nice to start with. I would love to build on a car like this.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2150937

I have bought parts from this guy Paul, and he has been cool to me. He also has this nice Chenowth for sale I wish I owned.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2064893
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Chris-a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 12'ish single seater fun buggy Reply with quote

That Chenoweth is slick. I haven't sat in that model, but I've run into height issues with a couple of the Funco's I've sat in, I'm abit north of 6'3".

-Chris

jimmyhoffa wrote:
I don't know how feasible decent road trips are but as an old school enthusiast, I have noticed a few cool ones for sale on your side of the country.

Rory Ward of Racers Only Motorsport Designs has a Funco for sale, very nice to start with. I would love to build on a car like this.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2150937

I have bought parts from this guy Paul, and he has been cool to me. He also has this nice Chenowth for sale I wish I owned.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2064893

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 12'ish single seater fun buggy Reply with quote

That Funco SS2 should probably be a NORRA or museum build. The Chenowth could be a currently competitive 1600 race buggy. Both are now down to pretty much bare frames with body panels. The Funco has a pretty good wheelbase for forest roads at around 80 inches, the Chenowth old 1600 race buggy is about 114" WB and is rather long for forest roads or trails.

Both frames are for stock width suspension. Although either one could get +4 arms on a stock width beam and stock x 3 arms on the rear for as much as 12" front travel and 16" rear with micro-stub hubs.

Narrower than stock is not a good option unless you're building a lowered street show car and you want wide tires under stock fenders or a "Pro Street" with steam roller tires on the back, with no consideration of suspension function either way.

Why don't you just buy a regular 2-seat buggy frame and install the seat in the middle to make it a single seater. Lots of limited class offroad race cars are built that way. It has no effect on total width of the car. Lots of frames or complete buggies for sale out there. You could buy a Berrien frame new for less than $500, plus shipping to Oregon that will cost a good part of that to build your own. Having a single seat frame built to suit is likely to be quite expensive. But you can order it with a tall roll cage to suit your height, which is likely to be an issue with ANY buggy that you buy.

Class 12 cars are typically 12" or so wider than stock VW + extra wheel and tire width. And they are also typically a couple of feet longer wheelbase than stock.

To make sure the buggy you get is tall enough for you, borrow a suspension seat from somebody, even at an offroad show or shop that sells them. Sit down in it on the floor, have somebody else put a level on top of your head, and measure the distance from the floor to the bottom of the level, then add at LEAST 3-4" headroom.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris-a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 12'ish single seater fun buggy Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I'm solidifying my plans.

I plan on using 1 5/8 .090 for the major tubes of the frame, might bump it up to .120 for the roll cage. I believe I'm going to go with the AS-445 front arms that are 4" longer and 1 1/2" wider. I will probably pair those with some 3x5 rear trailing arms, coil overs. What width beam would set that combo at somewhat similar track widths front and rear?

Any thoughts or suggestions on those?

Couple quick questions, for now:
Front beam "caster" angle, set it back around 7-8 degrees relative to the ground at ride height?

Engine and Transaxle angle, I've read a lot and see that angle frequently mentioned. Is it to get a good alignment for the shift linkage and hockey stick?

Who makes a good engine tin/shroud for the type iv engine when used in an offroad buggy.

Thanks for your help.
-Chris

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Class 12'ish single seater fun buggy Reply with quote

If the stock fan shroud fits inside the rear cafe, just fine to run it as is.

If it doesn’t fit in the rear cage, the Joe’s (Nexgen) Upright conversion is the cheapest and works well, made from modified T1/T4 cooling bits. Jakes DTM is arguably the best, but you pay for it. Porsche type shoulda also work, but I’m not a huge fan...tend to over cool two cylinders and under cool the others.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Class 12'ish single seater fun buggy Reply with quote

Chris-a wrote:
1 5/8 .090 for the major tubes of the frame, might bump it up to .120 for the roll cage.

that is an odd size, for a fun buggy i'd go with 1 1/2" OD .120 DOM. thats SCORE legal for cars below 3000 pounds IIRC (dusty will chiime in on this i'm sure)
that way some of the fancy aftermarket stuff that clamps to the frame works, and bender dies are a lot easier to come by.

but if this is your first buggy build, i'd strongly suggestr getting a knock down kit and going from there. you can gusset the crap out of them and have a very safe and strong buggy, and it takes off a TON of the workload and guesswork.
Chris-a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Class 12'ish single seater fun buggy Reply with quote

Thanks. I meant to type 1 1/2", but that's what I get for asking questions late at night after a long day and while ordering parts for another project!

I looked at several of the knockdown kits(the warrior) but I really want a single seat, might not make sense but that's what I want.

Thanks again for the insight and catching my mistake.
-Chris

I Ride Sand wrote:
Chris-a wrote:
1 5/8 .090 for the major tubes of the frame, might bump it up to .120 for the roll cage.

that is an odd size, for a fun buggy i'd go with 1 1/2" OD .120 DOM. thats SCORE legal for cars below 3000 pounds IIRC (dusty will chiime in on this i'm sure)
that way some of the fancy aftermarket stuff that clamps to the frame works, and bender dies are a lot easier to come by.

but if this is your first buggy build, i'd strongly suggestr getting a knock down kit and going from there. you can gusset the crap out of them and have a very safe and strong buggy, and it takes off a TON of the workload and guesswork.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 12'ish single seater fun buggy Reply with quote

Chris-a wrote:
Thanks. I meant to type 1 1/2", but that's what I get for asking questions late at night after a long day and while ordering parts for another project!

I looked at several of the knockdown kits(the warrior) but I really want a single seat, might not make sense but that's what I want.

Thanks again for the insight and catching my mistake.
-Chris

I Ride Sand wrote:
Chris-a wrote:

!.5" x .090 is fine for a frame for what you're talking about. That's what my HiJumper was made of in the mid 1970s, and it's still around. Even when it was quadruple flipped when flat out in high gear, although there was slight frame damage, nothing failed and the damage was fixed by taking it out for 15 minutes off road. It came back from that straight. I prefer DOM or even CREW tube over 4130 for offroad as it's not so brittle and doesn't crack so much.

A Berrien Warrior frame is exactly what I was suggesting before. If you want a single seater, mount the seat in the middle. The shifter will require more work that way. Look up shifter for single seat buggies. I GET that you want a single seat. You might modify a 2 seat kit. Or you might cut an existing 2 seater apart and modify it (doing it the hard way). Or you might buy an existing single seat race chassis and shorten it (at least as hard as narrowing an existing frame). Or you might pay a fabricator to custom build you a frame. That could REAL easily cost $10K for just the frame.

Maybe you're able to fabricate it yourself, but I suspect that if that was the case, you wouldn't be looking for something already built and writing this thread asking us about it.The 95" wheelbase of the Warrior will be the longest you will want for a forest buggy. Class 12 racers that you started out referring to as inspiration for this build tend to have 114" -120" wheelbase. Good for a smooth ride over whoops at speed, but good for high-centering and failing to make sharp turns on a forest trail.

For the front suspension, to get long travel and maintain narrow width for forest trails you can use a stock width beam with 1" x 4" arms with coilover shocks (+4 arms haven't been made for use with torsion leaf packs for many years). Then use narrow wheels with zero positive offset from stock. Or even use stock VW front wheels. Tires as big as 33 x 11.00s like Yokohama Super Digger III can be used offroad on 4" wide rims. For that big of a tire, you better be using Combo Link spindles.

For the rear suspension, maintaining a track width similar to the front, you can special order 0 x 3 training arms with micro stub hubs. Lots of late model trucks and SUVs use hubs like that. Mostly for fronts, but front hubs for Chevy S10 4x4 are what many VW offroad racers use for the rears these days. With Porsche 930 CVs you will get the most travel (or as 4x4 guys like to say "articulation"). Using those hubs instead of VW hubs moves the CV outboard a few inches to make for the least CV angle which will allow more wheel travel. There are offroad suppliers who sell such hubs modified as you need, like Kartek. They are NOT cheap though. Again, use 4" wide rims on the rear with maybe 33x 10.50 BFG MT2 tires.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: