Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So I went in to a parts store...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

As the title says, I went into a parts store this morning & while getting parts that I needed to fix a customer's car, I look over & sitting on the counter is an oil bath air cleaner from a 70ish beetle. Out of curiosity, I asked the parts person what they were doing with it & he told me that a shop down the street was trying to get him to locate an air filter for it. Laughing

Obviously I started laughing my ass off & told him that they were either f*&%ing with him or they shouldn't be working on an ACVW. He was totally clueless as to my amusement & I reached over, grabbed a qt of 30wt, handed it to him & told him to send it back to them with the filter housing & explained to him that the "filter" was actually the oil.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Lucky he wasn't asking for a water pump.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Maybe they wanted this:
Found in the gallery
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
streetstock70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

I need the left side radiator hose. Its the one that goes to the thermo switch to cool my anti-freeze.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

I had one, but traded it off a while back 'cuz I needed a right side muffler bearing.
streetstock70 wrote:
I need the left side radiator hose. Its the one that goes to the thermo switch to cool my anti-freeze.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Maybe they wanted this:
Found in the gallery

Wait!?! I thought all oil baths looked like this ^^ WTH! The expert at Autozone told me this was the truth while he sold me some badly needed blinker fluid..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Does anyone have an OG piston return spring? This Empi one is bent
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Sorry to say, but the fact that the parts guy didn’t know what an oil-bath was, is just a reminder of how old we’re getting.

On the flip side, anyone know how many times you have to wind a Victrola so the song doesn’t stop before it ends?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Sorry to say, but the fact that the parts guy didn’t know what an oil-bath was, is just a reminder of how old we’re getting.

Tim

Bingo. When I venture to a local auto parts store the vast majority of those behind the counter are just kids who were born long after the last beetle was built. I use moments like this for teaching, just like when my kids had no idea how a dial phone worked.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

O'Riellys Buy four quarts oil get a free filter,, Said i needed one for a 74 beetle

after ten minutes of searching I put the counter guy out of his misery.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
O'Riellys Buy four quarts oil get a free filter,, Said i needed one for a 74 beetle

after ten minutes of searching I put the counter guy out of his misery.

Doesn't a 74 have a paper air filter?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I use moments like this for teaching.

And if I'm one of those parts store kids, I reply "that's interesting" as I roll my eyes and wish you'd get back in your POS and get the hell out of my store.

They don't care.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

If I remember correctly (and I seldom do) oil bath air cleaners were antiques when our cars were new. Most domestic auto manufacturers ditched the oil bath air cleaner in the early '50s.

Do you remember when wiper motors were vacuum operated and would slow when you accelerated? I do. Ah, the good old days.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
I use moments like this for teaching.

And if I'm one of those parts store kids, I reply "that's interesting" as I roll my eyes and wish you'd get back in your POS and get the hell out of my store.

They don't care.

But I got a really good laugh at that indifferent little bastard's expense. Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Oh, had I been in that store I would also have laughed my butt off. And if they opened the bugger up only to find one of those rigged filters as shown above... probably would have ranted a bit, either that or been filled with a measure of sadness. (more likely an unappealing combo of the two, pissed-off-bitterness)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

[quote="wcfvw69"] Found in the gallery

Take a very simple elegant design and over complicate it ?????

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen... lol
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

[quote="Zundfolge1432"]
wcfvw69 wrote:
Found in the gallery

Take a very simple elegant design and over complicate it ?????

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen... lol

Applause Applause I’m still laughing Laughing

I remember walking into a well known ACVW shop for transaxle oil on the 72 bus. They recommended GL 5 oil instead of proper Hypoid gear oil. Said that’s all they use now. Shocked can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten poor advice on parts. Are they trying to sabotage my project?

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Converting an oil bath housing to accept a paper element is a very popular and practical conversion in some cases. A K&N element in a 1500cc early bus filter housing increases flow and captures particulates far better than oil. They're apparently more popular in the bus and Thing worlds than in bugs.

But lest yea forget- VW went to paper elements in '74 for beetles not by accident.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

while we're on the subject-- best chemical compound to clean the filter out without stripping the paint off the lid? (That's why I'm scared to use the Berrymans carb cleaner even though I think it would work quite nicely.)

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: