Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time for new exhaust need help
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjamingvsu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

thanks for posting the measurments CBECK
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

thanks for posting guys.

Whats everyone using for paint and do you paint before or after burning off the paint that comes on them, coined as "shipping paint"?
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

Get rid of the original paint first. I would sand blast it with abrasive grit. Fresh ceramic paint will thank you for abrasive blasting. Ceramic paints flake off super easy if there is nothing for it to bite to.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

After. Vht with about 2k miles on it.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

SKID-PLATE = YES !! Very Happy Very Happy ...but NOT in that pic....Smile

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Exhaust done and hpmx installed
Got a little backfire when it’s cold i cant seem to figure out
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

I need a different oil filler that will work with my carb linkage...?
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

I was paying better attention on the way home today and incase anyone wants to play armchair carb-tuner i have a better description of my carb problem.
First of all, new cap and rotor, valves just checked, brand new exhaust and copper gaskets, and timed around 28-30 degrees @ 2000rpm. I have a 009 with petronix and a 1835 jug kit. I retightened the carb mount nuts just to make sure no leaks. I have not done a compression test yet as my tester is elsewhere.
So, at 1900-2000rpm it pops. Its not a bang-backfire more like a poof and it seems to always be on the passenger side. Id guess cylinder 1. Its real prominent in second gear but can happen in third sometimes like if i let up a bit on the gas. It’s usually while im barely on the gas though. It doesn’t slow the car down really. Its more the noise and that I know i have an issue that it bothers me. My kadrons before these hpmx never popped.
I bought extra jets when i got the hpmxs. The kit came with 130 mains and 50 idles. I bought 145 and 150 mains and 55 idle. So far ive had every combination of these in. At the moment i have the 130’s and 50’s in mainly because the engine seems to run the same no matter what i change. Although after running these for a day id maybe say the poofing is a little more prominent. It’s really hard to tell if i have the right jets in because this motor just isnt picky.
On a side note, I replaced my two fuel pressure gauges which should be reading the same. The right is about 1 psi lower than the left. But then these things are notoriously inaccurate. I adjusted till i got 1 psi on the low one and the other ended up just under 3. I wish i could find a good regulator. I actually run two inorder to lower it enough from the electrical pump. I even moved tge pump under the tank to make it push fuel father and lose a little that way.
Anyway if you have any ideas im open.
Sloop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

A couple of things come to mind.
Not sure if it relates to HPMX or not but with Weber IDF’s a little pop at cold idle is about right. If it goes away when your temperature rises you should be good. If you adjust the carbs to eliminate the cold popping it will be too rich once its warmed up. I believe Dale M. raised this issue recently.
Second, are you sure you have your distributor at full mechanical advance when timing. It was my understanding you needed at least 3K RPM for the advance to fully engage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

55s are to rich, I'm running the 130, 50 but changed to a 200 air. Carbs pop when cold under 2k rpm. Set your timing at 3k rpm between 28 and 32, balance the carbs and do the idle air adjustment again.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:
55s are to rich, I'm running the 130, 50 but changed to a 200 air. Carbs pop when cold under 2k rpm. Set your timing at 3k rpm between 28 and 32, balance the carbs and do the idle air adjustment again.

Sounds like I'm perfect by your standards then.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: