Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So I went in to a parts store...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Why not buy another oil bath cleaner?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:

OOHH, I didn't think about buying a brand new unsoiled oil bath air cleaner brand new from VW-- hang on a sec while I pull out the way back machine and set to mid-70s. Rolling Eyes

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

I didn’t say brand new. I. Sure you could find one that works better than yours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I didn’t say brand new. I. Sure you could find one that works better than yours.

And just how many am I supposed to keep buying and try out before I get lucky? You think these 40 year old oil baths come with refunds??
"Hey chief, I'd like to buy your oil bath, but here's the deal - I'm going to stick it on my car and see if it wants to stall out- if it does, I'm gonna need to send it back for a full refund so I can try another one... and another.. and another. I mean, I COULD just avoid all this trouble by using a paper filter- but someone on the Samba told me to do this instead."

Rolling Eyes

1600 SP engine
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

many of the chain autostores are getting to be near worthless, unless you want floor mats, seat covers, or air fresheners. Try to buy 6 feet of steel fuel line and they cant help you. Speed shops are still pretty good for now at least.

wanted an oring for a jeep power steering pump pipe seal, only orings were a pack of chinese ones at autozone, no clue as to the material, buna, nitrile, viton, chewing gum, nothing to indicate the material at all on the package. even the jeep dealership did not have the part, its a practically new jeep and they dont stock parts for it, hell it was made in 1990 and they think it is some museum piece, damn it!

another thing, these days we are supposed to be so green and enviromental, but why can you not get wiper blade refills anymore at the parts store like before?, the rubber blade wears out and you have to buy the whole blade assembly, then you end up tossing perfectly good metal blade holders, or like me, stick them in a box, in the hope that one day the store will again carry wiper refills. I must have 20 of them, all perfectly good, awaiting a 50 cent refill blade, ugh!

Bug On, with an oil bath!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Since you missed the whole discussion:
Paper filter is better, as was stated earlier in this thread even VW switched to it later. More efficient and less complicated, and won't stall your car out because it can't be cleaned out anymore. Time for everyone to change.

1600 SP engine
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I remember walking into a well known ACVW shop for transaxle oil on the 72 bus. They recommended GL 5 oil instead of proper Hypoid gear oil. Said that’s all they use now. Shocked can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten poor advice on parts. Are they trying to sabotage my project?

GL-5 IS hypoid gear oil.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

I put utility before appearance. Steve, if the round paper air cleaner works better for you, then that’s what I’d use if in your shoes. If you want preheat, however, you might consider a later model VW paper-element air filter. These air cleaners also have a fitting for your oil-filler blow-by hose.

And, since we’re talking parts stores, I went to Wolfgang International today and got a free epoxy-filled Bosch Blue coil. It came with the little electrical ears on the posts, as well as a new bracket. Too bad I don’t need it now, but someday I figure it’ll come in handy.

At their Show & Shine this year, I won a $100.00 gift certificate. The coil was about $60.00, so I got some other VW stuff I really didn’t need to fill out the hundred-dollar limit.

It’s nice to get new, free VW stuff. It’s even nicer to only drive a few minutes away to an actual vintage VW parts vendor Wink .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
another thing, these days we are supposed to be so green and enviromental, but why can you not get wiper blade refills anymore at the parts store like before?, the rubber blade wears out and you have to buy the whole blade assembly, then you end up tossing perfectly good metal blade holders, or like me, stick them in a box, in the hope that one day the store will again carry wiper refills. I must have 20 of them, all perfectly good, awaiting a 50 cent refill blade, ugh!

Just last month for my truck I bought a pack of two 18" wiper blade refills at local O'Reilly, I asked and they had a set behind the counter. And they also got transferred from another store for me a pack of two 19" wiper blade refills for my other truck.

See https://www.oreillyauto.com/search?q=wiper+blade+inserts But you might need to cut a pair smaller for your VW. And my 1971 VW Convertible takes a smaller size insert/refill than my 1970 sedan.

A rear window blade from another vehicle might fit a VW windshield.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Whilst many of you are guffawing at the nonsense of a cartridge air filter, I can confirm that (in Australia at least) the VW dealer that my father went to with our 68 Beetle removed the top of the air filter and replaced it with a paper cartridge type air filter during service. No asking the customer, it just got done.

This would have been perhaps very early in 1970-71. The picture of the air cleaner on a very dirty original engine shows the shape.

I HAVE tried to find an original oil bath top here with no success yet.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Back on topic I went to Autozone once looking for fuel line. Counter man came back with a length of vacuum hose which as you know would fail rather quickly running gasoline through it. I mentioned this to the counter man and he became confused, in his mind all hoses are the same. Manager may have known better but didn’t seem to realize the liability issue of Jethro selling someone what could be a safety hazard with potentially fatal consequences.

The only parts store I trust is a family owned business in which the proprietor has years of experience, you can bank on what he says.

www.bughaus.com
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Man, hoses are totally tubular, dude!

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

I often find the best scenario is to just know what I need.

I'm often the more informed party when standing at the FLAPS parts counter. No matter where I've gone, but that's okay.

Considering all the convoluted things that new cars have and considering that simple cars (like our ACVWs) are long out of production and commonplace sights I couldn't reasonably expect the guy to know everything about every single car out there.

For example: I blew 2 workers and 2 manager's minds a few years ago when I told them that my Mazda was a Ford underneath. This came up because I swapped the Mazda cartridge oil filter mount for the Ford Spin-on filter mount.

It just boggled their minds that the 2.3L mazda and 2.3L Ford I4 was the exact same thing.

Then I showed them the "FoMoCo" stamp on my factory brake calipers.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Installation of that radiator was straightforward - but I am "The Cuss" !!!

Link

Wink

"Dirty Harry" was a GREAT film. Clint directed the scene where the guy wants to jump and kill himself, the director Don Siegel was sick at that time. Clint learned efficiency and direction working as actor for Sergio Leone and Siegel, always comes in under budget and shoot time.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

For example: I blew 2 workers and 2 manager's...

Careful how you word those things. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

For example: I blew 2 workers and 2 manager's...

Careful how you word those things. Laughing

Careful skipping important entire phrases of the message, could lead to wild misinterpretations Shocked
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

The lack of the apostrophe on "workers" did that all by itself. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Frodge wrote:

OOHH, I didn't think about buying a brand new unsoiled oil bath air cleaner brand new from VW-- hang on a sec while I pull out the way back machine and set to mid-70s. Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Xevin wrote:
I remember walking into a well known ACVW shop for transaxle oil on the 72 bus. They recommended GL 5 oil instead of proper Hypoid gear oil. Said that’s all they use now. Shocked can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten poor advice on parts. Are they trying to sabotage my project?

GL-5 IS hypoid gear oil.

Embarassed You are correct sir, I was lazy in my comment. I should have elaborated that I asked for a Hypoid compatible gear oil for my bus. Parts guy didn’t understand the difference ( or what Hypoid gearing was) and recommended the GL 5 oil. This particular oil could not be verified it was Hypoid compatible on the bottle or the web. So l lost faith in what oil he had to sell. Autozone I understand but a ACVW Shop should know what I’m talking about. And yes people do run GL 5 in ACVWs. I drink the ratwell/Amskeptic coolaid Wink Thanks for the correction Keith.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/GearOil.html

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: So I went in to a parts store... Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Since you missed the whole discussion:
Paper filter is better, as was stated earlier in this thread even VW switched to it later. More efficient and less complicated, and won't stall your car out because it can't be cleaned out anymore. Time for everyone to change.

My original oil bath still works fine, I dont believe putting a paper filter in there it any better . Oil baths work great. over 300,000 miles and still humming along. Golly its not as if a paper filter never can clog.

Bug On with an oil bath!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: