Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gen Light on, not getting gas?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thingsara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Gen Light on, not getting gas? Reply with quote

Sorry in advance for not using technical terms here, I'm not really sure how to describe this properly.

Last night I was driving home, went around a bend in 3rd, went back to 4th, and all the sudden it felt like I couldn't give it enough gas. My Thing felt like it was lugging/puttering forward, and I had to repeatedly pump the gas to get it to go. It wouldn't go over 35mph. I got it home thankfully since I only had a couple miles to go. It idled and went into reverse fine. The engine seemed to be hot, but I'm not sure. This morning I checked on it again, same issue. I noticed the Gen light was on. The belt is on and tight.

Any ideas?
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Gen Light on, not getting gas? Reply with quote

Were you able to start the car this morning normally?

First guess would be a charging system fault that was draining the battery. But, if you can start the car this morning, that's not it.

The symptoms are indicative of a fuel filter or fuel pump screen full of sediment, otherwise.
thingsara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gen Light on, not getting gas? Reply with quote

CraigInPA wrote:

First guess would be a charging system fault that was draining the battery. But, if you can start the car this morning, that's not it.

The symptoms are indicative of a fuel filter or fuel pump screen full of sediment, otherwise.

Yep, it started right up and idled. Any common fuel filter issues? Quick fixes? Or do you think its something that needs replaced?
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gen Light on, not getting gas? Reply with quote

that does sound like a fuel delivery problem,

either crud in the tank, carb or fuel pump.

I had similar issue with the old gas tank was sealed with non-ethanol proof tank sealer, well it melted and proceeded to run it thru my carb with some rust pebbles.

Ended up replacing tank to fix.

But, if you believe it's the tank, take off the sending unit and look in the tank with a good flashlight [Be aware you're opening gas fumes to the atmosphere-careful of sparks!! No fires!!]

You should be able to see the tank drain's screen and see if it's buried in rust or dirt.
Mine had a big purple buggar of tank sealant wrapped around it looked about the size of a softball.

When it occurred the THING started bucking under load, in idle it was fine.

Other suggestion, bypass tank feed to gas pump, with a long hose and a 5gal gas can see if you change the problem.

Could also pop the hose to the carb, and crank the engine (prob pull coil wire Off too so it wont start) but see if the pump is squirting gas.
if it is, carb could be stopped up/crud in it.

My carb ended up with a lot of rust pebbles from that tank problem I had.

Hope this helps you diagnose the issue,
Just be careful with gas and fire possibilities! Accidents happen faster than we can think.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gen Light on, not getting gas? Reply with quote

thingsara wrote:
CraigInPA wrote:

Yep, it started right up and idled. Any common fuel filter issues? Quick fixes? Or do you think its something that needs replaced?

Do you have a fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump? Most people put one in, even though it wasn't standard equipment when new. If you don't know how old it is, you should replace it.

There is a screen in the fuel pump which is designed to act as a large diameter filter in the original fuel system design. It's not hard to replace, but it's a bit messy. If you have an upstream added fuel filter, it's unlikely the issue.

I'd also suggest a look at the fuel screen in the tank, as thingsara suggests.

The last item is the carb itself. There's a possibility that it is full of crud.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gen Light on, not getting gas? Reply with quote

Trying to force a stumbling engine home is a good way to end up having to finance a complete rebuild. If your insurance includes towing then use it, if not join AAA.
thingsara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gen Light on, not getting gas? Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
But, if you believe it's the tank, take off the sending unit and look in the tank with a good flashlight [Be aware you're opening gas fumes to the atmosphere-careful of sparks!! No fires!!]

You should be able to see the tank drain's screen and see if it's buried in rust or dirt.
Mine had a big purple buggar of tank sealant wrapped around it looked about the size of a softball.

When it occurred the THING started bucking under load, in idle it was fine.

Other suggestion, bypass tank feed to gas pump, with a long hose and a 5gal gas can see if you change the problem.

Could also pop the hose to the carb, and crank the engine (prob pull coil wire Off too so it wont start) but see if the pump is squirting gas.
if it is, carb could be stopped up/crud in it.

T

I took off the sending unit and couldn't see anything at all, the tank is pretty full. Where would the tank drain screen be? And should I take apart the entire carburetor to check for gunk? I just replaced the bypass screw's O ring, and last summer we had replaced a gasket.
thingsara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gen Light on, not getting gas? Reply with quote

CraigInPA wrote:

Do you have a fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump? Most people put one in, even though it wasn't standard equipment when new. If you don't know how old it is, you should replace it.

There is a screen in the fuel pump which is designed to act as a large diameter filter in the original fuel system design. It's not hard to replace, but it's a bit messy. If you have an upstream added fuel filter, it's unlikely the issue.

I'd also suggest a look at the fuel screen in the tank, as thingsara suggests.

The last item is the carb itself. There's a possibility that it is full of crud.

I'm learning as I go, but I really don't know squat about vehicles. Where can I check to see where the fuel filter would be? And where is the fuel pump's screen? I took the cap off and couldn't see anything. Should I try replacing the fuel filter? I tried taking it off but it wouldn't budge and I'm afraid to ruin the hose (if thats even possible).
thingsara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Gen Light on, not getting gas? Reply with quote

Heres a link that seems to be my exact problem, but on a 77' Van. http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=10827
He figured out his problem was that his temperature sensor connector wires on the underside of the air intake were all corroded/falling apart. Is it possible this is my issue, too? If so, can someone post a pic of how to get to this sensor or what it looks like? Any other thoughts?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: