Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolant loss and oil leak on my '90 syncro
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjb1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Coolant loss and oil leak on my '90 syncro Reply with quote

Hi all,

Got a bit of problem with bus (2.1 petrol )recently noticed it has been losing litres of coolant and shedding oil from the dipstick and oil refill pipe. After clearing up oil mess and tightening all suspect pipes it's seems better. It did have a oil change not long ago with a new oil filter. Any ideas where to look before I send to the garage, could it bee the oil cooler?

Thanks
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

The oil cooler (if stock) is above the oil filter, a "squarish" metal box.

Spurting oil out the dip stick?
A) improperly inserted
B) oil overfilled
C) worn engine with excessive ring blowby.
D) clogged engine ventilation system

Coolant leaks? Any of a dozen or more locations. These engines have an amazing quantity of coolant hoses and fittings.
I would find and repair coolant leaks sooner rather than later.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mjb1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

Thanks for reply, yes it's a stock cooler.

Dipstick is inserted properly, bit from what I can see the oil appears to coming from the middle join of the refill neck. It's hard to say, I've also noticed some oil around the top of the oil breather tower. Like you say there are many places for coolant to escape some inially I have tightened all clips on pipes, there is evidence of leakage and after a short run out it doesn't appearing to be losing coolant. But I am now question whether oil is cooling properly.

How do I check ventilation for blockages?
.thanks for help.

djkeev wrote:
The oil cooler (if stock) is above the oil filter, a "squarish" metal box.

Spurting oil out the dip stick?
A) improperly inserted
B) oil overfilled
C) worn engine with excessive ring blowby.
D) clogged engine ventilation system

Coolant leaks? Any of a dozen or more locations. These engines have an amazing quantity of coolant hoses and fittings.
I would find and repair coolant leaks sooner rather than later.

Dave
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

Crankcase ventilation is through that tower at the rear of the engine and the hoses to the intake system.
They can clog or collapse.

Why do you question your oil cooling?

What is the oil level?

The oil fill pipe is plastic forned to a metal pipe
That joint can and does fail.
A sealant can generally stop it after a good cleaning and quality application.

Curious this all started after an oil change.
Sounds like coincidence or a heavy handed "mechanic" over tightening things and cracking them.
If so, I'd worry about my oil drain plug, they are on the "fragile" side and easily stripped when it comes to heavy handed types.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mjb1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

Well after a short run out yesterday I just sense the engine is a little warmer than it should be, I know that's not very scientific, but I just feels a little warm. I agree it's a bit of a coincidence. I'm pretty sure it was overfilled, but only oil and filter was replaced. Oil level looking spot on in the middle right now so that tells me it was over before. This was done by a mechanic whilst I was away past few months so I can only go by what I was told.

Oil drain plug looks fine, as does filter.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

How much oil are you losing? Do you just have some wet spots?

Is it dripping off the engine? If so where.

Is it pouring off the engine? If so where.

You should get your cooling system pressure tested. Note that if you have an automatic tranny there is a cooler bolted to the front of it that can leak between the coolant and the ATF.

You might also want to have your coolant checked for the presence of exhaust gases.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

You say you lost liters of coolant.

Did you add liters of coolant back in?

A loss of coolant will cause the engine to run warmer.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
mjb1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just an update, cleaned out breather which seemed OK anyway. Coolant maintaining it's level so no more leak (after tightening a few clips) but oil is still coming out the neck of the oil filler. The oil level is is in the middle so is correct, only seems to come out on a run and not on idle.

Thoughts on next steps? Is it that it just needs to be sealed, or should oil not coming up that far?

Thoughts appreciated.

djkeev wrote:

Dave
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

clean the joint between the metal pipe and the plastic oil filler with carb cleaner and a toothbrush, then work in a black RTV sealant up under that joint and make a nice smooth bead around the outside using your finger. finish it up with a screw drive hose clamp about 1/2" above that joint. let everything harden 24hr before you start it.

-dan
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

mjb1980 wrote:
Hi guys,

Just an update, cleaned out breather which seemed OK anyway. Coolant maintaining it's level so no more leak (after tightening a few clips) but oil is still coming out the neck of the oil filler. The oil level is is in the middle so is correct, only seems to come out on a run and not on idle.

Thoughts on next steps? Is it that it just needs to be sealed, or should oil not coming up that far?

Thoughts appreciated.

djkeev wrote:

Dave

Check the plastic for cracks.
mjb1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

Hi All,

Coming back for more help, after replacing the oil filler it seems I still have problems with leaking all, which I think is coming from the oil pressure switch.

I now plan to replace both oil pressure switches crank pulley seal, dipstick seal and oil cooler seals.

Do you have any advice when taking out the engine support bar?

Or anything else I should replace whilst doing this?

Thanks

djkeev wrote:

Dave
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

You don't need to remove that bar. It is tight but you can get the rear oil pressure switch out.

Do make sure that you install the PROPER SWITCHES in the proper location. They are NOT the same.

Be careful not to over tighten them too.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
mjb1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

Yes I've got the .25 switch and the 1.6.

Can I really get to the crank pulley to replace seal and high pressure switch with out removing the bar? I don't see how as there is no room to barely get your hand up there.

djkeev wrote:
You don't need to remove that bar. It is tight but you can get the rear oil pressure switch out.

Do make sure that you install the PROPER SWITCHES in the proper location. They are NOT the same.

Dave
mjb1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

As the oil leak is spraying it's very difficult to find where the leak is coming from. I've removed the water pump pulley so can now change the high pressure switch. Next I was looking to remove the crank pulley. Question, does the engine need to be lowered to remove the pulley? The tin in front doesn't look like it's going to be removed too easily.

djkeev wrote:

Dave
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

If you have oil coming up out of your dipstick tube, you have higher than normal crankcase pressure. Either the vent is clogged or the rings and/or valve guides are letting excess gases into the crankcase. The breather tower itself must be open as well as the hose and orifice between the breather tower and the S-boot.
mjb1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

The breather does look like it's leaking too, I have removed and it clean but does seem to have oil residual. Do I need to check the rest of the pipe that comes off the breather?

Wildthings wrote:
If you have oil coming up out of your dipstick tube, you have higher than normal crankcase pressure. Either the vent is clogged or the rings and/or valve guides are letting excess gases into the crankcase. The breather tower itself must be open as well as the hose and orifice between the breather tower and the S-boot.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

mjb1980 wrote:
The breather does look like it's leaking too, I have removed and it clean but does seem to have oil residual. Do I need to check the rest of the pipe that comes off the breather?

Wildthings wrote:

Gases have to get from the crankcase to the S-boot somehow, so yes the entire system needs to be clear. Soft hoses can collapse from vacuum, while the interiors can degrade with time and have pieces break way and clog the orifice in the middle off the hose. Engine snot can also clog the hose and orifice.
mjb1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

Checked tube going from breather to s-boot and boot itself all clear. The only thing I noticed is that someone had used two size tunes going from breather to s-boot and just tucked one into another. So have replaced. Is there anything else I can check as they all look clear?

Starting think this is going to end in a new engine.

Wildthings wrote:
mjb1980 wrote:

Wildthings wrote:

Gases have to get from the crankcase to the S-boot somehow, so yes the entire system needs to be clear. Soft hoses can collapse from vacuum, while the interiors can degrade with time and have pieces break way and clog the orifice in the middle off the hose. Engine snot can also clog the hose and orifice.
mjb1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my 90' syncro Reply with quote

Replaced switch and made sure all hose were clear still the leak persists and I cannot see where from.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant loss and oil leak on my '90 syncro Reply with quote

Turn your engine over two complete revolutions by hand. About 45° before each of the four pistons reaches its own TDC you should feel pretty good resistance from the compression building up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: