Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black Bear and Imogene Pass in a Syncro?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Black Bear and Imogene Pass in a Syncro? Reply with quote

Shocked
Any of my Colorado neighbors, have you done either Imogene Pass or Black Bear Pass in a Syncro? We are headed to Telluride this weekend and are excited to get into the backcountry trails.
Rolling Eyes
You will just love this German copilot!
Black Bear Pass

Link

Imogene Pass

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Bear and Imogene Pass in a Syncro? Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Shocked
Any of my Colorado neighbors, have you done either Imogene Pass or Black Bear Pass in a Syncro? We are headed to Telluride this weekend and are excited to get into the backcountry trails.
Rolling Eyes
You will just love this German copilot!
Black Bear Pass

Link

Imogene Pass

Link

Thats great Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Colorado Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus We have done both. Black bear was one way and the Syncro does better then the other type of 4x4 with us. Due to the Turning raduis. Look forward to going back. But then looking over the edge, lets just say the wife was not to happy. Shocked
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honey!!! Never mind the town just look at the road!! Move to the right!! You got plenty of room on the right...just knock down the wall!!!

That's my wife without the accent!
Jahbah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks so sweet. Looks like a pretty good challenge, serious death cookies to the left. Honey stay to the right Laughing . I would imagine that sound track could have been pulled right out of Hans's whistling gold brick. Very Happy
If you do it Jael I hope you go pro it and/or report back. Best of luck
Cheers
D
Jahbah~D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, just a dirt road with LOTS of exposure! Looks fun though. I got all bumpy'd out this weekend in the Uintas so I won't be seeking anything like that any time soon...
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite part of the world is the Ouray area.

Imogene pass no trouble do it and lots of others.

Black bear, go up the 550 side to the top, but dont go down the 1 way side to telluride. I've done all the passes many times including black bear but I would not feel comfortable in a stock syncro. Generally if my Jeep can do it my syncro can do it, but black bear is one of the few that for someone unfamiliar with the trail I would not recommend.

The one way part is rough, with a couple of super tight turns that are very hair raising, makes me nervous even in the jeep.

If you are looking to do a loop from telluride you could go over imogene take the 550 over red mountain, check out the top of black bear, go back down 550 towards silverton, but turn off before and head over Ophir pass back towards tellruide.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, made the trip.
We didn't get to make Black Bear, but did go up the switchbacks to Bridal Veil Falls.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Imogene pass was not technical, but I sure could use some low end torque and a lower Glande gear. We had to make a couple runs to get up the steep sections.

More clearance would have been good too, the skid plates took some serious damage down the Ouray side.

Fun trip, thanks for the comments! Very Happy
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

Imogene pass was not technical, but I sure could use some low end torque and a lower Glande gear. We had to make a couple runs to get up the steep sections.

:cough:turbo diesel :cough: Very Happy

More photos?!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you guys have big'uns! On exposures like that, I just can't handle the stress of bringing a classic car to the party. I'd start thinking about the age of brake hard lines, steering rack bits, and things that could fail and cause a serious loss of control at just the wrong moment. That is some wild stuff, though the camera doesn't even come close to catching the danger I suspect.

I'd have my panties in a wad and would start speaking German, I suspect.

Stunning vistas and beautiful places to spend time with friends - wow. I watched the whole thing sitting on my deck with a fresh cup of coffee.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:

:cough:turbo diesel :cough: Very Happy

No kidding! With the altitude the EJ22 didn't have the low end grunt without really getting a run at the long steep sections and keeping the rpms up. (Not good for the skid plates) Maybe the Frankensuby???

The Syncro was a hit with the Jeep crowd and the Forest Service Rangers, he had to hear the whole story behind the Syncro manufacturing. We got a lot of looks and thumbs up while the co-pilot fixed lunch at around 12500' Laughing

The GW skid plate did not hold up to dropping off the steps on the Ouray side. Got some fabrication to do now.

Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more pics.

My wife says we won't be taking the $yncro on that road again!

luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Yup, made the trip.
We didn't get to make Black Bear, but did go up the switchbacks to Bridal Veil Falls.

Tell me more about the building at the top of the falls - can you drive all the way up there?! Looks freakin' amazing! Surprised
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
Syncro Jael wrote:
Yup, made the trip.

Tell me more about the building at the top of the falls - can you drive all the way up there?! Looks freakin' amazing! Surprised

Yup, you can drive there in a Syncro Wink

http://www.visittelluride.com/things-to-do/trails-huts/bridal-veil-falls
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
More clearance would have been good too, the skid plates took some serious damage down the Ouray side.

Fun trip, thanks for the comments! Very Happy

That is a great photo. Thanks for the ground clearance note. It helps me justify the 35mm lift kit I got for my Syncro
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Bear and Imogene Pass in a Syncro? Reply with quote

This is an old thread, but what tires are you running in those photos, and what's the general rock vs. tire situation down there?

I ask because I have some work to do in that area this summer (twist my arm, right?) and I'm trying to figure out how to take my van instead of flying and whether it's actually a good idea. I have Nokian WRC Van tires, which have plenty of plies for commercial duty but are not A/T tires.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Bear and Imogene Pass in a Syncro? Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
This is an old thread, but what tires are you running in those photos, and what's the general rock vs. tire situation down there?

I ask because I have some work to do in that area this summer (twist my arm, right?) and I'm trying to figure out how to take my van instead of flying and whether it's actually a good idea. I have Nokian WRC Van tires, which have plenty of plies for commercial duty but are not A/T tires.

Run what ya brung! We're biased 'cause we live here, but there is so much amazing camping with whatever set up you've got that you'd be crazy not to van on down. That said, lots of loose, sharp stuff up high. We took our chances for years with Nokian Entyres on some pretty gnarly stuff (never a flat), currently running KO2s which make me feel better. If you fly down you probably won't be camping here:

If you look at his wheel shot he appears to be running Toyo Hyparadials. No experience with 'em.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Bear and Imogene Pass in a Syncro? Reply with quote

Looks like Imogene Pass got a new sign since I was there. During Syncro Safari, Colordao '04 we had four of our group's Syncros complete this leg. Great fun and great views. One Syncro needed its water pump replaced on the trail up the Telluride side of the pass, but made it over with the new pump. Pizza that evening in Ouray during twilight at outdoor cafe tables was awesome!

If I recall correctly, the 4 Syncros were equipped with 3 stock 2.1L Wasserboxers and one 1.6L Turbodiesel. At that altitude (13. 114ft) the little turbodiesel had the best power and wished my 2.1 could breathe better! Largest tires "back in the day" were about 25.6" diameter on 14" wheels, though they were labelled as 27"!

More info and photos about the trip here:
https://www.syncrosafari.org/colorado-04---overview.html

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: