Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brown horn wire- where does it connect?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Brown horn wire- where does it connect? Reply with quote

I'm slugging away at my dad's 356A. The diagram (if I'm reading it right) has the brown horn wire leading to the horn relay. The wire that's running through the column isn't doing that (since there is no conductivity to it and any of the wires attached to the relay). It's obviously attached to something, because I can't extract it.

Can anyone enlighten me on the physical path this wire is supposed to take? At least knowing how it is supposed to be routed might give me some points to examine.

Thanks in advance!
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown horn wire- where does it connect? Reply with quote

Which brown wire are you referring to? I see there are two leaving the column switch that go to 2 different relays. One is the horn relay and one is the light relay for the flasher (horn button).

I found this diagram via Google

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown horn wire- where does it connect? Reply with quote

MoPor wrote:
Which brown wire are you referring to? I see there are two leaving the column switch that go to 2 different relays. One is the horn relay and one is the light relay for the flasher (horn button).

I found this diagram via Google

It's the wire that is supposed to go to the horn relay. But it doesn't. Neither of the two wires does. If I can at least find the exit point out of the steering column for these wires, I can figure out where they go, and make corrections.
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Brown horn wire- where does it connect? Reply with quote

At least one of them comes of the horn contact pin. Its the black piece coming out of the right side of the column.

644-347-731-00 Horn Contact for 356A

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown horn wire- where does it connect? Reply with quote

MoPor wrote:
At least one of them comes of the horn contact pin. Its the black piece coming out of the right side of the column.

Cool,I will have a look.

Thanks!
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Brown horn wire- where does it connect? Reply with quote

MoPor wrote:

I've had a look, there is nothing coming out of the right side of the column. The only opening/noticible part is on top of the column. I wish I could get a picture, but the camera on my phone can't get focus on it.
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brown horn wire- where does it connect? Reply with quote

I dropped the column for a better picture.
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown horn wire- where does it connect? Reply with quote

My column is rotated 90 deg. You can see in the linked diagram that the horn contact switch mounts in the small tube. The wire mounts to the contact assembly via a small screw. I think you are missing the contact assembly and clip.
https://klasse356.com/catalog/showItems.asp?Category=SWE

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Brown horn wire- where does it connect? Reply with quote

Yep, the normal place for the brush contact is on the side of the column.The photo shows the two brush contact holders on the top of the column it needs
turning towards you 45 degrees to be in the position as mine.

Strange on my 59 356A I have one brush holder but not two of them. I have never had to change parts but never seemed to have found a second one. Maybe they modified that on the late T2 cars?

Roy
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brown horn wire- where does it connect? Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, both of you! I think I get the general picture. Now I have to order the parts and see if I can put it all together.
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown horn wire- where does it connect? Reply with quote

roy mawbey wrote:
Yep, the normal place for the brush contact is on the side of the column.The photo shows the two brush contact holders on the top of the column it needs

Strange on my 59 356A I have one brush holder but not two of them. I have never had to change parts but never seemed to have found a second one. Maybe they modified that on the late T2 cars?

Roy

I just have one on the side too. Perhaps it is a T2 thing

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown horn wire- where does it connect? Reply with quote

MoPor wrote:
roy mawbey wrote:

Roy

I just have one on the side too. Perhaps it is a T2 thing

There are two holders for the early model cars to allow for the horn ring, and the high beam button (which was the horn button, but in this configuration works the high beam).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: