Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PassionateMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

Hello,
I am embarking on a Solar Panel install and was curious if anyone has tried to run cables through the air "exit vents" that exist on '88 ('87?) and later type 3 Vanagons? I understand there is foam inside them (and probably crusty as my girl is turning 30 this year) but is it even possible to thread a coaxial sized cable through that exit vent? Anyone ever try?

TIA,
Mitch
'88 Wolfsburg
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

Not as yet, but I am hoping/planning to use my fridge vent as the pass-thru as I have installed a TF49 which makes it redundant. I am using a Zamp solar port such that I can simply plug my Renogy panels directly into the port to feed the aux battery. Wiring is still to be determined, but I expect to figure this out over the next few weeks.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

coqwesty wrote:
Not as yet, but I am hoping/planning to use my fridge vent as the pass-thru as I have installed a TF49 which makes it redundant. I am using a Zamp solar port such that I can simply plug my Renogy panels directly into the port to feed the aux battery. Wiring is still to be determined, but I expect to figure this out over the next few weeks.

something like this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eplater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

Or this - thru the old fridge vent with weather proof connectors

'12 Touareg TDI

'08 RS4 Cabriolet
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

Yep - similar to the above using this port:

https://www.amazon.com/Zamp-Solar-RVROOFSIDE-Sidewall-Port/dp/B00T36YVI4

At least that's the goal - the trick will be in making it look like it belongs there, so toying with a couple of options - leaning towards black to match the other connectors.
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

Hi,

I sacrificed my shore water hook up and installed a GW electrical housing with a trolling motor connector.

Here is a link to the full album

https://www.facebook.com/BoojiRay/media_set?set=a.10154449123701848.1073741832.672836847&type=3

Biology is destiny...choose your mutations carefully
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PassionateMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

Ah, I did install an GoWesty electrical connection box (my baby is a Wolfsburg weekender so did not come with any access boxes) for shore power. But I'm looking for ideas on a less obtrusive (and non-permanent) solution.

A) threading the solar cable through the Exit Vent (left side)

B) dropping into the engine air intake vent and then drilling through into the cabin from there (not sure how to do this either, but it seems like more effort).

Thanks for the feedback!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

I've been wondering how to do similar PV on top. I would not drill a hole in a side at all. Since you don't have a spare side box, my next location of choice would be to consider if you need the rear heater. If not, that would free up two holes that are already in your van. I would drop the cable down at a rear corner, through the vent to the engine compartment, then put the controller somewhere back there, then run the wires into the bench from underneath. Mostly, I have been thinking to myself that the most appropriate place to have a controller melt-down -- if that were to happen to me -- would be in a location that would not burn my van up. I have not yet come up with a location that is ideal, but certainly not inside the cabin. I am still thinking on that part. Somewhere under the van with a metal enclosure is my best thought thus far. Perhaps opposite of the starter.

-bobby
PassionateMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

Thanks Bobby,
I had not thought of that. I've already done the rear heater-core delete so that hole is free for the taking. I have a Goal-Zero Inverter-Battery-controller all rolled into one and although that would be a 'longer run' it may be cleaner.
Cheers
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

Cool, so you actually have two holes under there since you did the delete, right? One to feed DC into the Batts, you could use the other for the AC line out of the inverter. Would help keep things separated, I'd say.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

I was able to find a route on my multivan that didn’t require any drilling through the exterior. I routed my wire down into the gap around the rear hatch in the upper right area and then into the same hole that the rear wiper fluid line and wire exit the body. There is another hole inside of that first one that allows the wire to be routed into the interior. On the exterior, the wire lies nicely into the rain gutter and then I zip tied it to the tower of my roof rack. On the interior, I was able to route the wire along the shelf at the bottom of the air conditioning cabinet and then around the rear closet along the drivers side rear window and around to the front of the closet where I have my charge controller mounted. It worked out very well and I didn’t have to make any penetrations though the pop top or the body. I was careful to silicone around the hole as the original grommet had disintegrated. That disintegrated grommet had led to a significant amount of water sitting inside the body in front of the passenger side, rear tire. It’s worth checking that hole and making sure that grommet is intact. My solar panel is mounted to the underside of a gary lee small roof cage, mounted to Yakima racks. Many different, great ways to mount panels and wires out there. Many great ideas on this site. This is my setup and maybe it helps you out. Definitely put a lot of thought to it before you drill holes.
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

Vanagon life has vent covers with a solar hook up and also an antenna hook up for a CB that they sell. I have seen them on a number of vans
svig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

I did the same as the couple above, but kept the modified Flue Cover Vent in place. Yes it's harder to get to the port, but we rarely use our portable solar and it keeps a more stock look to the van. Details here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Panal Install - "Exit Vent" pass through? Reply with quote

There's always this option:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: