Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Manxter 2+2 Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AuburnGrad93 wrote:
Scott,
I understand what you're saying with the Subaru. I am also going to be working out of my garage, and I am very afraid that the Subaru will be more than I can handle

If you budget for the Subaru and do it right it will most likely cost you less than a VW if you are going to use your buggy and you do not build your own engines.

I have done a lot of Subaru Looms ( over 100 of them easy) and if they are done right the only interaction the owner will ever have with the electrics part of the conversion is the same as he has with any other ODB car ( next to none)

I recently did two looms for the NORRA Mexican 1000 trip and I think all the guys where amazed that once done the ECU was simply sealed in a box and never looked at again.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am now putting in ODB2 Blue Tooth transmitters so you can simply use your smart phone to monitor all systems and reset codes etc.

Once the conversion is done, if you should ever happen to have an issue you can goto any mechanic out there and most are happy to work on a Subaru. Added to that is the fact that the Subaru engine is bullet proof.

When it comes time to do the conversion you can buy everything you need off the shelf to take the engine out of a $500 car and bolt it into your Manxter if you decide to run a SubaruGears transmission then it is even easier.

Anyway by all means do your own thing but please don't think a Subaru Conversion is VooDoo Art if you ever end up over on the Manx Club Australia forum have a look at the issues guys have had and the amount of answers they get which sort them out very quickly. As people who actually have a clue about VW engines get older I would dare to say there is more Subaru Knowledge available that VW.

More importantly if you use a Subaru Engine you can avoid all the sub standard Chinese VW Crap Smile
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad - You've talked me into it! If I weren't so chicken, I'd give it a try.

Darren - I think I used this wiring kit, http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/vw-items/custom-vw-modular-wiring-kit

It was proabably overkill, but boy did it make it simple. I had never wired an entire car before, and this kit was well thought out. There is a terminal strip at the fuse block and you can dress the wires in both directions; to the component or to the fuse block. With quite a few of the other kits, the fuse block side is pre-terminated and you have to pull the wires one direction only, to the component. Not a huge deal, but one of the deciding factors.

For my son's buggy, we'll probably use a Rebel kit. For the price, it will work nice for his simple buggy.

Scott
Manxter #122
First time, garage built, and living out the childhood dream of owning a life-size Hotwheel!

Check out my build thread-->My Manxter 2+2
terryjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: My Manxter 2+2 Build Thread Reply with quote

Scott.

Local Pittsburgh'r with a build I need inspected. PLEASE help a yinzer out with the name of the inspection place you used.

Thanks
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: My Manxter 2+2 Build Thread Reply with quote

I sent you a pm with my phone number. Give me a call and I'll fill you in. Hind's Auto in Portersville helped me through the process. Very nice people there.
Manxter #122
First time, garage built, and living out the childhood dream of owning a life-size Hotwheel!

Check out my build thread-->My Manxter 2+2
terryjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: My Manxter 2+2 Build Thread Reply with quote

sbussard wrote:
I sent you a pm with my phone number. Give me a call and I'll fill you in. Hind's Auto in Portersville helped me through the process. Very nice people there.

Portersville! I only head up that way when I need some pumpkins

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: