Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

volksrod regret
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvk311729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: volksrod regret Reply with quote

How many of you have started building a volksrod and than you really how out of your league you are in..... Well im there.. ive done all I can and now im stuck... now im stuck trying to go back ... how many of us are in this position.....
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: volksrod regret Reply with quote

Not me...Kind of....I give this advice to anyone starting a project (car or otherwise), make sure you know what you are getting into (skills needed, good design, etc), have the time and the money to do it.

That being said - there is nothing wrong with taking a break until you are ready. I started the VW woodie and got the pan and engine done. Realized that I was not able to do the rest the way that I wanted. Took almost 2 years off until I found a person that was able to work with me to do what I needed (custom cabinet maker) AND I developed more skills (built 2 more conventional cars during the interim).
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: volksrod regret Reply with quote

Not me either, just a lot of head scratching ! But if I get discouraged, I take a break from it for awhile. The boys and I have fun figuring out how to get things work out, make things so it will work, and see the progress. I could see how a build could die. Money, ability, time.
Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joeyk803c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: volksrod regret Reply with quote

I've become discouraged a few times, and when I look at pics of my bug before I chopped it up I do start to regret it sometimes. Then I think about how its going to be after its done, and I get super stoked.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: volksrod regret Reply with quote

My effort is by no means "nice", however it has received more compliments than any car I've ever owned in 35 years. Soldier on and let your creativity present its self,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jg405i
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: volksrod regret Reply with quote

Yes, I put my vw in 55 gallon drums for ten years.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: volksrod regret Reply with quote

no way back. Sick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: volksrod regret Reply with quote

If your regret is that you are in over your head you need to change your perspective. You get to learn some new skills!

I burned up a small pile of 14 to 20 gauge scrap sheet metal learning how to weld, so I could rebuild a beach buggy that spent too many years sitting outside before I drug it home. I was perectly comfortable fixing a glass body, but found myself in over my head with the frame. What an opportunity!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: