Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type IV Fans
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Fans Reply with quote

Well ok! Laughing .....just seeing things!

Ok....back to your second set of pictures where you noted that you found three marks on the pulley (really the fan ring....and not the pulley.....but who cares!).....that small kind of half mark.....is not a factory mark.
The other two marks.....the one on the right which is showing a little red paint under the grime.....is in the rigjt position to be 27° BTDC.

The other mark to the left of that....right on the 4th fin over......is in the right position to be either 7.5° depending on what text you read.
While it may have been used on several vehicles....those two marks and the absence of a stamped factory "0" mark are what the fan on late 412 and middle years 914 used with L-jet injection.
Later still they dumped one of the two marks when they started using the flywheel with the two timing sensor pegs in it.
Several texts list European 914 1.7L and L-jet 1.8L as having only the 1 black mark at 7.5°

But.....the other fan in your picture with a single mark on the fan ring at the 3.5 fin mark ...which is around 15°-ish BTDC....damn. just not sure what thats from. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Fans Reply with quote

So a stupid question from a noob; when I take off my fan/hub assembly do I need put it back on in the exact same place? Should I be making the parts to be able to line them up later?

Last edited by ivwshane on Mon May 14, 2018 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Fans Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
So a stupid question from a noob; when I take off my fan/hub assembly do I need put it back on in the exact same place? Should I be making the parts to be able to line then up later?

The hub is keyed to the crank, it only goes on one way, you'd have to be a particularly talented idiot to screw it up Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Fans Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
So a stupid question from a noob; when I take off my fan/hub assembly do I need put it back on in the exact same place? Should I be making the parts to be able to line then up later?

The hub is keyed to the crank, it only goes on one way, you'd have to be a particularly talented idiot to screw it up Wink

Lol! I've been called a talented idiot once or twice so...:p
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Fans Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Ok....back to your second set of pictures where you noted that you found three marks on the pulley (really the fan ring....and not the pulley.....but who cares!).....that small kind of half mark.....is not a factory mark.
The other two marks.....the one on the right which is showing a little red paint under the grime.....is in the rigjt position to be 27° BTDC.

The other mark to the left of that....right on the 4th fin over......is in the right position to be either 7.5° depending on what text you read.
While it may have been used on several vehicles....those two marks and the absence of a stamped factory "0" mark are what the fan on late 412 and middle years 914 used with L-jet injection.
Later still they dumped one of the two marks when they started using the flywheel with the two timing sensor pegs in it.
Several texts list European 914 1.7L and L-jet 1.8L as having only the 1 black mark at 7.5°

But.....the other fan in your picture with a single mark on the fan ring at the 3.5 fin mark ...which is around 15°-ish BTDC....damn. just not sure what thats from. Ray

No worries. I appreciate the help. This would be a lot easier if I just missed it!

I'm trying to keep up with the vernacular. I know the differences, I swear.

What do you think the solution is? Guesstimate where a mark is supposed to be and notch it by hand? Or am I destined to find another fan?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Fans Reply with quote

Measure over 42mm and with a dull chisel make a mark.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Fans Reply with quote

Target wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

No worries. I appreciate the help. This would be a lot easier if I just missed it!

I'm trying to keep up with the vernacular. I know the differences, I swear.

What do you think the solution is? Guesstimate where a mark is supposed to be and notch it by hand? Or am I destined to find another fan?

Partly,what Tcash said....but understand this.....on ALL type 4 engines.....when viewed from the top at 12:00 oclock....and yes I realize that most late buses do not have the 12:00 timing hole in their fan shroud....but just bear with me.

When the fan is installed correctly and the #1 piston is EXACTLY at TDC....."0" is exactly aligned with the case parting line at 12:00......and is exactly 4.5 fins to the left..... of the right hand fan support pillar when looking at the fan from the pulley side from the rear of the vehicle.

That also means that the dowel pin locator lug will be at 10:00 oclock on the backside.....and....if you take a sharpy marker and transfer that "0"/TDC mark to the outer pulley ring.....the bus "0" mark on the pulley will be exactly 4.5 fins further to your left than the "0" mark. I will post a picture in the am. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Fans Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Clatter wrote:
The early fans with the cone-shaped center and little rubber nose-cone are technically 'wrong' for your late bus.

I have a correct one I'll trade you straight across.. Wink

How magnanimous of you Razz

Hey.. I'm just here.. To help..

Seriously, though, unless our OP has his heads off,
How is he going to accurately set his timing?

Plus,
I'm sure that he is 100% confused by reading all of these posts...

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Fans Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Clatter wrote:
The early fans with the cone-shaped center and little rubber nose-cone are technically 'wrong' for your late bus.

I have a correct one I'll trade you straight across.. Wink

How magnanimous of you Razz

Is this how you treat someone who's trying to help you?

Sometimes, when your ship doesn't come in, you gotta swim out to it!

See how you are?

I recognize your style.

I've seen your kind before!

Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Fans Reply with quote

See, Ray and I work as a team...

He gets you completely beguiled, to make your head swim with confusion,

Then I swoop down out of my tree and fly away with the goods!

What’s That Noise?!?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV Fans Reply with quote

Break out two additional fins from the correct locations so that your original fan is balanced and run with it. The output at higher speeds will hardly be effected and the fan may actually run a bit quieter since the harmonic noises will have been diminished a bit.

Filing a deeper cut into your pulley and then marking it will paint will make timing your engine easier and making a second mark 180° opposite the first will make setting the valves easier. Just a paint mark on the outer rim works well for this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: