Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VDO tach socket and bulb
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: VDO tach socket and bulb Reply with quote

Hey all, I picked up a vintage VDO tach for my bus, and it did not include the bulb socket and bulb. I believe it accepts a VDO Type B socket (part # 600-819 5/32") and a Type B bulb.

The socket measures out to 5/32" - can anyone confirm I need a Type B socket based on the below picture of the tach?

And, I can't seem to find a Type B bulb online, is this something I can get at my local FLAPS? If not, who has specs for the bulb?

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO tach socket and bulb Reply with quote

I have the same gauge (metal housing though, which came in handy grounding LED's) and ran into the same problem. I didn't dig too deep since I run LED's now anyway. Here's the bulb that came out of it. I'm not sure where to get it, but like you said VDO exclusive which was strange. I had the same trouble finding a replacement. I think this is it below, at CIP 1.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D957%2D397%2DPR

Check this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=140
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO tach socket and bulb Reply with quote

I’d call these guys

http://www.foreignspeedoinc.com/
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO tach socket and bulb Reply with quote

Thank you Gregg and Aeromech!

From your threads and posts I found the info I needed.

FYI, for anyone else who has this tach or similar, I ordered the following:

• 600-819 Insulated Light Bulb Socket - 15/32 inch - uses Bulb type B
  • 600-804 Type B Bulb: 11/32 inch - 12V 2W, set of 4

All was about $25, and that should get me what I need for illumination on my VDO tach.

FWIW, I ended up ordering all the gauges, senders and the bracket I was looking for from https://www.egauges.com

They had really good prices, plus I was able to order everything I needed (except the oil pressure relocation kit, from 42DD http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-audi-oil-pressure-relocation-kit/)

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: VDO tach socket and bulb Reply with quote

Keep a close eye on eGauges. They’ve held my orders up over some out of stock parts. I’ve had to kick them in the ass a couple times. Not sure I’d go back.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: VDO tach socket and bulb Reply with quote

I've got a very similar tach, but as Gregg in the 603, the one with the metal case.

You've already figured it out, but for future reference, unless I'm mistaken there is nothing VDO-specific in these light bulbs. They're standard BA9S (BA - bayonet-style; 9 - 9 mm diameter; S - single contact at the base). The ones I have are rated for 12V, 2W.

As per the socket, there are two versions that I've seen: the metallic ones with one terminal, which ground with the instrument's case, or the plastic ones with two terminals, which have two terminals, as they need the extra ground. The later is the one you need for your plastic case.

Here's a picture of the one that came with my tach. It's the plastic version, but either would work for my metal case:

Decode your M-Plate
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: VDO tach socket and bulb Reply with quote

VDO LED Bulb Upgrade

Nice score
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: