Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

Ok.. been thinking.. well bored..

Considering 58-67 Beetle bodies only.. for those of us who have the Kahunas to the non conformity of the stock look.. .. what bolt on swappable parts do you consider the koolist Cool.
Sure.. Stock VW from other years, Accessory, or aftermarket too. Wink

Mine.

Ice Pick Handles..
Heart Tail lights
W Decklid.
Empi Coach Steering wheel
Flat 4 Steering Wheel with matching shifter.
Chrome Door Panel trim (58/59/66 and earlier style)
Aussie Flash Trim

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Mon May 21, 2018 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which are the kooliest parts. Reply with quote

Beryl Green 61 Ragtop with OG colored interior accessories
ice pick door handles
Volkswagen hood script
Yellow fog lamps w/Porsche grills
Chrome headlamp grills
Abarth exhaust
Okrasa engine
Lowered of course with wide whites

And not a single ounce of patina!! Gleaming paint and clean from top to bottom.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine

Last edited by Sharp64 on Tue May 15, 2018 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

The early louvered ashtray was pretty cool. '58 and '59 only I think.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

Chrome angled stinger with truck nuts hanging from the flange.😁
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

My 1st car was a 66. I had 59 tailights, icepick handles, Oval window dash welded in. early Oval ribbed window winders and door handles, Oval arm rests on both sides. louvered '67 Decklid, Ghia disk brakes, Louvered front fenders, 3 louvers under the horn grill....hey it was the 80's. Sat on a slammed '71 IRS pan

brad
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
Chrome angled stinger with truck nuts hanging from the flange.😁

Haha I found a pair of nutz on the highway and been threatening to put them on my bug..

BUG NUTZ!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

A split back window graft, W decklid, tiny tail lights, armrest, crotch cooler, dash clock, and reclining front seats.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

58/59 Cigar ashtray.. yeah.. good one.. I snagged one with a chrome plated front.. from a wreck . Wink

Crotch coolers.. . nice.. .. I always wondered why it wasn't an option..
Add those to pop outs, a ragtop or a convertible.. .. and her skirts a flying while your boys remain kool.

How about UniVents Wink good honorable mention alternative.
I have some hoarded away for my final VW I do.. .. Laughing

Convertible deck lids on a sedan.. Cool another one..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

Roof Rack! You can never have too many. Cool

Parcel tray- under the dash is the most practical thing a bug can have.
Bee catchers- for fresh air in the rain.
Recliner- on the driver's side of course.
Glove box pull- of any type. Sure beats prying and slamming.

I too have a steering wheel fettish. I once had a Coach but never mounted it because it was SOOO heavy- but also because it was not period correct on my earlier cars. Wood rims and spokes are the way to go- Speedwell or FIV- with Empi GT bringing up the rear.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

Ice pick door handles.

Semaphores or bullet turn signals -- in the real world the first is cooler but the second a lot more practical.

The late 3 color Wolfsburg hood crest, I like the stylized design which somewhat unfortunate as I really don't like the trim running down the hood.

The late '63 very early '64 deck lid that had the the raised detail above the license plate light without the flaired ends, but still had the small license plate light.

The '66 down headlights, especially the ones with both adjuster screws at the bottom.

The later speedometers with the gas gauge built into the top -- it was a rather unique utilitarian touch.

The last one is a modifification I've wanted to do for years, but most of mine have been mostly stock. On the '58-'65 dash I would like to weld up the ashtray and then move the headlight and wiper switch down so that bump under the main dash had the ignition switch, headlight switch and wiper switch all lined up. Then weld up the stock switch holes, the grills on either side of the speedometer, and the trim holes in the glove box door. It would be a smooth clean dash with a speedo (with fuel gauge up top) a modern stereo in the middle, and glove box.

I really like he look of Bugs with the polished aluminum T-bars. It shows the smooth angled body lines extend all the way down. O.K. -- it might have something to do with growing up in the '80's. Cool
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

I've always liked Empi bumper bars/guards on stock US spec bumpers with over riders.

Agree.. T bars have a place.. makes a nice clean smooth look.

Ahhh.. REAL Rossi headlamp housings are nice..
I like the deep chrome ring of those.. ..

I also like the stainless mesh over buble headlamps. Makes them eyes pop..

Usually and often edited
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

A vote for the '61 Canadian Standard here. Keeps the old column, Bakelite switch, tractor wheel, small taillights. Gains better front end, brakes, tunnel case trans, 40 horse.

I admit that icepick era cars are more interesting aesthethically.

Edit. They weren't leftover 36hp and split case, were they? Just occurred to me.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

The 3 spoke steering wheel is very cool, but the black second interior color just doesn't do it for me like the ivory. What I really like is the center section only headliner used on the base level models. That is is a cool utilitarian look.

My oval has '66 Pigallle seats front and back. I suspect the change happened years ago to avoid recovering the seats. The red frames and side covers with the floor mounted backrest releases is really cool and the '65 - '67 wrap over type seat covers have a great old look, IMHO.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

Last year I saw a very nicely done Gulf Blue '62 or '63 Beetle sedan here in NY fitted with a W decklid. Was subtle. I did the same in the mid '70s, not only fitting the W decklid onto my '60 Beetle but installing '68 taillamps on the fenders, and '67 taillamps on the W decklid!

After the '73 SportsBug Super Beetle became available with its Saturn Yellow paint, sport wheels and blacked-out bumpers and trim, HotVWs ran an article about somebody making a '66 or earlier Beetle look similar. Installed later '68-style bumpers which were painted semi-gloss black, kept the sloped original early headlamps, and installed silver-painted SprintStar rims. Car was probably painted the same Saturn Yellow, though the article was mostly shown with black & white photos. I don't remember if the SportsBug waistline stripe was also applied. Overall effect looked sharp to my teenage eyes at the time.
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

Quad top
"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

^ .. I'll bight.... what's a quad top? Anxious

These Four Tops.. are all I know.. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Usually and often edited
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

I've been saving parts for years to make an ultimate car that I have not yet found. Ideally it would be a 62 or 63. Got an original Eliminator shifter, the coach steering wheel with 12 o'clock crack which I was just going to redo to black or white. Multiple different parcel trays, the flip top shelf for behind the rear seat. Car Care Kit for the trunk, OG EMPI 356 style hubcaps with no emblems. I have ugly fiberglass clip on fender skirts also! There's also the Delanair under dash AC unit, just that part though - I care not for the rest of it! There's Original mudflaps here someplace, tissue dispenser and more! It'll be one goofy looking car, someday!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

Some of those old artillery style wheels off an old Opel I think.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

^ on that note.. Ford Anglia wheels/rims look pretty kool.

Usually and often edited
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 58-67 Beetle Fun.. if you would.. which kooliest parts. Reply with quote

Yes, that's it, I just couldn't remember which one it was.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: