Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 STD Beetle, clicks when turning
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: 74 STD Beetle, clicks when turning Reply with quote

I have been trying to track down and fix problems on a 74 bug. When turning left, the right rear wheel (I think) clicks. It doesn't sound like what I'm used to hearing from a dying CV joint (those click more frequently, and are much louder when accelerating while turning).

I tightened the CV on the driver's side - all six bolts holding the CV to the stub axle were slightly loose, though none had gotten very loose. With the car in gear and one rear wheel elevated, I get about one inch of rotation, with no unusual noises. In neutral, the tire spins without any unusual noises.

Any theories?
1969 Westy, mostly stock, the Road Trip bus.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 STD Beetle, clicks when turning Reply with quote

When was the last time you re-greased the CVs? I know its a nasty job, but that is the first thing I would do. In fact if you haven't, you don't know what shape they are in.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 STD Beetle, clicks when turning Reply with quote

I haven't regreased these yet - I've not had it for long. I'll remove that axle and regrease both the CVs, and see if that solves the problem.

Both CVs move in their usual orientation (inwards and outwards) with no discernible movement in the directions they aren't supposed to move in, and aren't noisy, but you're right, I'll have a much clearer picture once I've done this.

(edit)
I grabbed a spare axle off the shelf, cleaned and regreased both CVs... and the thunderstorm started. So I'll replace the suspect axle and see if it changes the problem, once the storm is done.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 STD Beetle, clicks when turning Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
When was the last time you re-greased the CVs? I know its a nasty job.

The CV joints on my 1970 (260K) and 1971 (135K) have NEVER been greased; I always figured I'd jut replace them when they went bad, figured I'd get the balls out and things never would go back together !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 74 STD Beetle, clicks when turning Reply with quote

I replaced the axle, and the sound is still there. It's possible that the CVs I cleaned and regreased had the same subtle, hard to spot problem as the previous ones, but unlikely. I'll clean up and carefully examine the one I removed, but those CVs were both easy to move in their usual ranges of motion... I'll know more clearly once I've cleaned them and looked for grooves or damage.

Any other theories? I'm going to doublecheck the stub axle, as I recently had a brake drum fail - I thought the damage was limited to the ruined drum. If that isn't the problem (and the CV isn't it) then I'm looking at pulling the trans and replacing it with a salvaged one, as I can't think of another component that creates this sound when the car is turning.... the bearings would make noises most/all of the time, not just when turning, right?

(edit)
I disassembled one of the CVs I removed... and it's scored. So it looks like this was indeed multiple (used) CVs with similar problems. I'll scrape together my pennies and get some Lobro replacements.

Last edited by Stray Catalyst on Thu May 17, 2018 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 74 STD Beetle, clicks when turning Reply with quote

Have you looked to see if anything might be hitting the rear axles while turning and the suspension is flexing? Also, if you changed the brake drum on that side, check that the wheel lug bolts aren't a bit too long and hitting something.
Q13931152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 STD Beetle, clicks when turning Reply with quote

It could be very possible that the axle nut might not have been torqued down tight enough and now the brake drum is able to move ever so slightly on the axle and makes the noise you're hearing. It'd be worth checking out on your car, especially if the drum that failed for you is on the side that's making noise now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: