Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How the heck do you install this!!!!
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

http://www.glenn-ring.com/tech/bushing_replace.htm

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

Well first (if full vw pan) you pull access plate at front frame head, the open up access plate at rear torsion bar and disconnect shift rod coupler, then remove shifter, then slide shift rod out toward front till end pops free of old bushing.... Pop old busting out, pop new bushing in, and then slide shift rod back through new bushing all the way to shift rod coupler, reconnect, replace shifter, replace front cover at frame head....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

Don't forget the snap ring that keeps the bushing snug against the shift rod.
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

Ok, maybe I see the issue. I have a sand rail and am trying to slip it over the ~1” rod and slide the bushing into the shifter box. I have tried using a strap clamp to hold it to the rod and then”shift” it into the hole but I just cannot get it to slip in. Does not help it is in between the seats.

Do I need to remove the shaft, insert the bushing and then put the shaft back in? And what snap ring?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

Can you post a pic of what you have? My box has a 1/8" thick ring around the shift rod hole that just needs a little lube. I have also seen shifter boxes that accept a bolt on composite? bushing.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

Yes you will need to remove the shift rod to install the new bushing. ..after the shift rod is back in place there is a small wire clip that is installed over the very end of the bushing, this clip will need to be installed on the new bushing before inserting the shift rod into the new bushing...the purpose of of the clip is to hold the rod snug against the bushing and eliminate shifter slop...usually you get a new clip with the new bushing. ..if your bug was missing the clip when you took it apart, 9.9 times out of ten grab a magnet wand and sweep the area below the shifter hole at the bottom of the tunnel. ..that is where they will usually be cuz previous owner did not know about the clip and it just drops into the tunnel as the shift rod is removed.
Bushing with clip ring installed

Also make sure you use white grease on the bushing and rod.
Helpful tips; before reinstalling the shift rod, it helps to remove any dirt, grime build up and rust from the shaft...steel wool, sos pad, or greed pad and wd-40 will clean the shift rod nice.
Once you get the rod started into the new bushing the best tool to use to push the rod through the bushing is a pair of small channel locks. ..you will also need to manipulate the shaft as you slide it back cuz it is not a straight line, rotating it 90-180 degrees will help clear obstacles in the tunnel.
Also, make sure that the slot in the bushing is facing up.

Have fun! Very Happy
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

I need to get the clip and remove the rod.

Thanks.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

That box takes the bolt on nylon/composite bushing. Those are bolt holes for that style of aftermarket bushing on either side of the shift tube hole.
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

Ok found it. https://www.jbugs.com/product/16-5101.html
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

Not so fast. Got home and looked at what I actually have. I think I am back to the old style production bushing? Or do I drill 2 holes for the other bushing?
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

i'd go with the other style bushing (i actually made one out of delrin), but the oem is the one that fits that box.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

Yep. Use the stock plastic ring and spring ring. If you WANTED TO, you could drill holes and use one of the urethane block 2-bolt bushings. But that makes for more work.

When you install the new bushing, rotate it so the gap is facing down. That lets dirt and junk fall out, instead of holding it in.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How the heck do you install this!!!! Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Drilling means removing seats. Not today!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: