Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 Rabbit brake questions
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForceBwU19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

New owner of a 79 diesel Rabbit here. Loving the thing so far, but I am less than overwhelmed by the brakes, I'm not positive any of them would lock up if I stood on the pedal in a panic stop, I definitely have an issue. I'm sure part of it has to do with the general condition of the pads, rotors, shoes and drums, these will be replaced soon as a good place to start. One thing is bothering me though. I can't quite tell what type of caliper I have. I understand there are 3 different types. Are they freely interchangeable if I replace both sides? If so, which are "the best" performers? Below is a pic of what is currently on my rabbit. Thanks for any help you all can provide!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

I believe those are ATE calipers which are hard to find and not worth looking for anyway.

Most people update the calipers for the Kelsey Haynes type calipers and also use the vented rotors. The calipers can be used for vented and non vented rotors, you just need to get the right pads.

Do not forget to get the brake carriers and hoses also if you choose to change them out
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

Quote:
Kelsey Haynes type calipers and also use the vented rotors. The calipers can be used for vented and non vented rotors, you just need to get the right pads

'84 Scirocco stock front brakes are vented and the brake pads for it are just like unvented only 'thinner' brake pad material.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

The vented rotors cannot be used with those calipers, at least not without grinding the caliper hangers for clearance. To run the newer calipers may also require swapping the steering knuckles as the bolt spacing is different. This can also lead to having to change the axles or outer C.V. joints. (There is a clearance issue between late/early outer joints & hubs but I forget in which direction.)

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
This can also lead to having to change the axles or outer C.V. joints. (There is a clearance issue between late/early outer joints & hubs but I forget in which direction.)

a 90mm axle will fit into a 100mm hub, not the other way around. easy enough fix with a dremel. wheel hubs and bearings are all the same, just the knuckle casting is different in the bore on the 100mm.

I would be VERY surprised if you could even find pads/calipers for that. I would just get cabriolet knuckles, calipers and caliper brackets and swap it all out.

you MAY have the same caliper mounting on those knuckles....but it's been a looooong time and my memory is foggy on that.

get the vented rotors. nice cheap upgrade. calipers are the same between solid/vented but the pads are thinner on the vented rotors

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

16 valve scirocco calipers and brackets also bolt onto the later spindles which also give you a larger diameter rotor but i believe you have to upgrade to 14 inch rims to clear them....you can bolt on late stubaxles to your rear beam that have the caliper mount ears molded into them and put discs in the rear also
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

I found that the larger mk3 rear drums were far more effective than the rear discs.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

just remembered...the later spindles also use a larger diameter ball joint...the originals are riveted in and are a pia to install but i would hope after 39 years they've been changed...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
16 valve scirocco calipers and brackets also bolt onto the later spindles which also give you a larger diameter rotor but i believe you have to upgrade to 14 inch rims to clear them....you can bolt on late stubaxles to your rear beam that have the caliper mount ears molded into them and put discs in the rear also

true, but you need the scirocco booster, master and prop valves to make it all work. 10:1's are ok I guess, but not worth the effort. btdt....quality pads stop my 1.8t rabbit just fine with the stock (but upgraded vented rotor) set up.

and I agree with TDI....drums seem way better than the vw disk set up

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

when i put the 16 v setup on mine the master,booster and prop valve remained the same and worked fine....but this hadda be 20 yrs ago so i cant swear what year masters were the same....but now that you mention booster...if this thing does have power brakes, the diesel uses a vacuum pump (bolts in the spot where the distributor would be in a gas car)...if the diaphram or valves in that go bad theres no power assist and the car will be very hard to stop
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
when i put the 16 v setup on mine the master,booster and prop valve remained the same and worked fine....but this hadda be 20 yrs ago so i cant swear what year masters were the same....but now that you mention booster...if this thing does have power brakes, the diesel uses a vacuum pump (bolts in the spot where the distributor would be in a gas car)...if the diaphram or valves in that go bad theres no power assist and the car will be very hard to stop

That was exactly what I was thinking. I had an '82 Rabbit turbo Diesel and do not recall there being any issue with the brakes!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:

usa spec cars used a bendix booster. different master cylinder bolt pattern than the german cars that used a fag or ate booster.

look at a usa rabbit booster....the master has really goofy ears compared to fag or ate.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
ForceBwU19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input! This 1.5 has a manual Master Cyl (no booster at all).

So it sounds like I may need new(er) knuckles? I think my ball joints are riveted in for what its worth. Anyone have some decent pics of the Kelsey Haynes calipers mounted on a car? Inner and outer sides?
sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

no booster? must be a good MC they used

maybe just get new rotors and pads and do a proper bed-in so they work as good as possible
Make sure the rear shoes good and are adjusted properly. Drum brakes are actually have a lot of stopping power, that's why they use them on big rigs. New drums are cheap, too.

rockauto has mk1 brake stuff on closeout a lot
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

Drum brakes are a terrible design but were used because they were cheap, not because they are better.

Why do you think they have pull outs on long grades for semi's without brakes?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
Drum brakes are a terrible design but were used because they were cheap, not because they are better.

Why do you think they have pull outs on long grades for semi's without brakes?

The larger rear drum brakes on the rear of a Rabbit will NEVER see brake fade unless you're driving with the parking brake on. Rolling Eyes

No matter what brake design is employed, trying to keep that much weight from running away down a steep slope is going to build up too much heat & cause brake fade. FWIW, most large trucks are still using drum brakes on all axles except the fronts.

Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Rabbit brake questions Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. Yes, I understand many semi's are still with drum brakes [disc up front].

I'm just saying, disc brakes are a better braking system compared to a drum brake system and drums are manly used because they are cheaper to manufacture, not better.

I do not know any company that makes a drum brake conversion.

I'm certain we both agree a poorly designed brake system is not good if it's drum or disc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: