Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a vented gas cap.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishful Thinking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all that provided information on vented gas caps. I just received my Stant 10623 in the mail today and am looking forward to resolving my fuel tank related problem. I too, plan to slowly and gently remove the sticker from the top of the cap!!!!!! Very Happy
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a little one gallon tank from Boyd Welding and it included this cap.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The inside is perfect as well as the gasket being interchageable with OG VW caps.

It has this exquisite method of anti-slosh and in-out vent. Inside is a

gravity/inertia poppet valve.

Boyd Welding wouldn't divulge who their supplier was but they sell the cap

sku#27017. http://www.fueltankparts.com/twist-cap-w-aluminum-neck-vented.html

This gas cap is absolutely perfect.
Ol Vocho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need a vented gas cap. Reply with quote

Wow, cool I found this info. I've been having trouble with my engine stalling out when I hit 3000 rpm. Not that I drive my old '64 Westy that fast, but when trucking up hill, it stalls out (1914cc single 34 PICT). A real mystery. Then when you pull over to the side of the road, it starts back up and you're on your way. I was at the Swap Meet and ended up next to Berg and he offered a suggestion that my gas cap was not "vented", thus creating a vacuum when under higher RPMs. So, thanks for the ideas on this thread, I'll try one of these vented caps. Now, after reading this, I hope I haven't toasted my gas tank. I will need to check for leaks.

Vocho Werks

Metal Shaping by "Dr. Decklid"

Vocho Werks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Vochowerks/

www.vochowerks.com

"It's great to be a big success, but we expect it will only last a couple of years and then we'll have to get real jobs", The Beatles, circa 1964

'64 Westy SO 33
'67 DD Panel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Need a vented gas cap. Reply with quote

I added this from another gascap thread in case someone stumbles onto it.
BarryL wrote:
jason wrote:
I tried the stant and the f100 cap. The stant was loose side to side and the rubber rode on the ends. It fit terrible. The F100 depth made it unusable. I bought the oe brazilian one and that fits ok but still get gas smell. I thought maybe the neck is leaking but if I put the oil filler cap on the smell goes away. Any other caps to try? I measured the spout at 53 mm where the rubber rides.

Can you post up photos of the caps you purchased?

Here are the three you mentioned off my vehicles. '66 Ford is left, Stant is right, OG VW is lowest.

This picture the '66 Ford is top left, VW is top right, Stant is bottom

All fit each other.

How does your neck opening look? This is my '65 bus'.

Are the ramps in good shape or thrashed? Is it an original tank?

Yes, the Stant and Ford tended to go off center a teeny bit but they still sealed.

All three caps allow fumes to escape so you will still smell gas. What density is the gas you're smelling?

I suspect the new iterations of gascaps have been made to different fitment standards.

I'm also sorry for your troubles...I hate leading someone down a wrong path if it was me.

Any photos of current versions of caps?
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a vented gas cap. Reply with quote

Using a WW repro fuel tank in my 66 Microbus:

The "Authentic Blau made in Germany" gas cap as sold by WW is garbage. Sometimes it fits, other times it doesn't. You have to manipulate the spring steel tangs that hold it to the filler neck because they are too short. And the fit is OMG tight when you do manage to get it to fit right and stay on. Lube the rubber gasket with a dab of grease. Who knew there was a City in China named "Germany"?

The Stant 10623. Another tight fit and the diameter is considerably larger than it should be. Grease the rubber gasket before putting it on the filler neck. Bring a rubber glove to get the damn thing off even if you have the grip of a cave man. Sometimes you have to PULL against a vacuum situation and other times it pops off in a pressure situation. Either way, I'm not convinced this cap is properly "vented" as it should be.

And finally, what looked to be promising......

banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a vented gas cap. Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:

So is that a gas cap or an oil cap? What does the backside look like?
1964 Chop Top
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a vented gas cap. Reply with quote

banana split wrote:
BonTonRoulet wrote:

So is that a gas cap or an oil cap? What does the backside look like?

Good question!
Look closely, you can see a reverse image stamping of "OLEO". And.....it's a real nice fit where the oil cap resides. Sad thing is that it's the best fit on the fuel tank filler neck of the 3 caps I've tried so far!

Ho hum. These things happen.

BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Need a vented gas cap. Reply with quote

Solution to an Oil Cap sold as a Gas Cap:

Dremel tool with a stone bit to grind a divet in the rubber gasket that will be placed towards the cap leaving the sealing surface against the filler neck smooth like it should be. 3 divets in the rubber seal should provide plenty of venting as compared to an original gas cap and the method of venting is fairly similar being under the cap.

Now that's a dandy looking Gas Cap that fits well and just might work!

Last edited by BonTonRoulet on Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Need a vented gas cap. Reply with quote

^^^Very cool. Should work with any type of non-vented cap.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: