Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Awesome. When I was reading i probably misunderstood. It looked like you were saying something was wrong with the pressure plate (the new one) and maybe the new clutch too.

One of the small center ring retainer springs came off the 3-finger pressure plate, figure that maybe happened one time I was forcing/trying to get it into gear. Just one day the very-hard-to-push used 3-finger PP (borrowed from gt1953 here) became significantly easier to pushdown, I knew something was wrong. I was able to slip that spring back into position, but because of my labor didn't want to chance that anymore, especially because of the throwout arm angle was so weird.

The new diaphragm PP didn't help a lick by itself.

Frodge wrote:
Is it totally quiet when driving now? Or just a lot better than the one with 1/4 million miles? Sounds like you need to take it on a nice long ride now!

Yes, pretty darn quiet now ! Soon I'll think about new rubber matting.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

When you installed main seal did you use a seal installer? The first time.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I've never used a seal installer (guess I'm cheap, $33 plus shipping https://www.jbugs.com/product/5774.html), and have likely done over 20 seals on VW engines. I have just tapped in the seal evenly until seated; Permatex Aviation on the outside, then I lube the inner lip and the flywheel corresponding surface with clean engine oil.

I did the seal on this 1971 engine in the early 1980s, was leaking oil; did the seal and added a new clutch disc, don't know if I replaced the O-ring then.

How did this happen in just a few hundred miles? Elring seal, nothing seemed off at time of installation.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have no idea. So I just used a new seal and O-ring when I replaced the transmission, and leak-free so far.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

You think that’s bad, a while back when I reset my endplay, I bought a new Elring seal and for some reason, I checked the spring there was none in it. I would have used the old spring from the existing seal, but I bunged it up when removing the seal.

I took it back to Wolfgang International here in town, and they said that was a first. So, between Cusser’s issue and mine, it would be prudent to check to see that the new seal spring is there—and that it’s seated properly.

I’m glad I looked for the spring. If not, I’d have had a worse leak than I had before replacing it—and wondering why the oil was leaking so badly.

P.s. I bought the screw-in seal installer when they were $29.00. It works great, putting even pressure on the seal while installing. Previously, I tried the board and hammer method and broke the interior of the seal. Since the outside looked good, I thought all was well. This obliged me to pull the engine the following weekend and start all over Rolling Eyes .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

I've used the cheap big washer-like seal installer that I press in by tightening down the glans nut. Works great, couldn't have cost more than $5.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

We used that too trouble was it bottoms on the dowel pins and we had to finish install with hammer and wood block
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I've never used a seal installer (guess I'm cheap, $33 plus shipping https://www.jbugs.com/product/5774.html), and have likely done over 20 seals on VW engines. I have just tapped in the seal evenly until seated; Permatex Aviation on the outside, then I lube the inner lip and the flywheel corresponding surface with clean engine oil.

I did the seal on this 1971 engine in the early 1980s, was leaking oil; did the seal and added a new clutch disc, don't know if I replaced the O-ring then.

How did this happen in just a few hundred miles? Elring seal, nothing seemed off at time of installation.

I have no idea. So I just used a new seal and O-ring when I replaced the transmission, and leak-free so far.

Yes I was taught this way too. Does this sound familiar? We started with a short piece of 2x4 held lengthwise against new seal and using a rubber mallet attempted to tap in new seal. Once seal was flush use old seal held against new to go past flush while trying to make sure its straight.

Thank God for Elring seals we suffered through blue seals and black seals which weren’t as good as the German ones. For a time back in the mid 80s Claude’s Buggies sold a double lip seal which seemed to work. Somewhere along the line I bought a seal installer and never looked back and I suppose it depends on how many engines and or seals you will replace going forward to justify buying another tool.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Yes I was taught this way too. Does this sound familiar? We started with a short piece of 2x4 held lengthwise against new seal and using a rubber mallet attempted to tap in new seal. Once seal was flush use old seal held against new to go past flush while trying to make sure its straight.

Oh boy...might have an engine drop again in my near future. I used the flat washer w/the gland nut, which I seem to remember left it flush w/the case. I didn't realize it had to go further than that... Sad

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

I wouldn’t agonize over that seen plenty run that way long time.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I wouldn’t agonize over that seen plenty run that way long time.

I thought I had read somewhere that they all will leak a drop or two here unless you have the groove dremeled into the case....
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Calvin, the seal installer I used has a groove so it does not bottom out on the dowel pins.

Victor, some people put the seal in just flush and have no leaks.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Today I glued a piece of carpet back onto the floor, had removed it to replace the pedal hook and clutch cable a few months ago.

I set the total advance to 32 BTDC on my German 009 (had been at 34 BTDC).

I replaced some of the fuel tank vacuum tubing, have been fighting a small gas smell while driving.

I changed the oil for first time since the engine rebuild, and the filter on my Maxi2.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

And............?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
And............?

And ....I need to take it for a ride after lunch !!!!
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Frodge wrote:
And............?

And ....I need to take it for a ride after lunch !!!!

Hope it runs like a top!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

My report: fun ride !!!! About 72F here today, but windy to 20mph (but yesterday was 40mph).

Returned used oil to Autozone. Bought new special outdoor freeze-proof faucet vacuum breaker (has female "fine" thread at the top, male hose thread at the bottom, $20). So no more leak there. Miles are 259,859 now.

Now to replace the wooden driveway post my daughter's friend backed over, then watch Pirates baseball.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I'd be real curious what fuel pressure that O'Reilly fuel pump puts out. Maybe the Chinese got their shit together and it won't put out 6+psi?!? I doubt it though.

Tested the fuel pump pressure today of that O'Reilly Import Direct fuel pump #M16102, non-slanted fuel pump with clips on the horizontal pivot rod, lifetime guarantee https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/import-direct...&pos=4

Note that in this photo the pump outlet is connected to the tester, why there is no clamp and plain rubber hose.

I read the pressure at 3.2 psi

I also have my throttle return spring connected to the air cleaner connector, seems my spring was a little leak.

My rear bumper still sports the parking permit sticker from my townhouse complex where I bought in 1979.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Can see your fingernails in the bumper and Mrs. Cuss might appreciate if you wash your hands 😀
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Can see your fingernails in the bumper and Mrs. Cuss might appreciate if you wash your hands 😀

Mrs. Cusser washed them in the bathtub happy hour last evening before dinner.

Fuel filler hose replacement on the 1970 (some fuel fumes, original filler hoses). Yes, that's an aftermarket electric windshield washer pump, and the electrical box on the left is left over from the dealer-installed AC.

Well, I tried. That Gates filler hose is VERY good quality, very stiff with 2 reinforcement wires. I tried a 12 inch piece, but hose was too stiff to get into place, and shorter length would not be long enough, a great Catch-22. Maybe I wasn't strong enough, I used gloves, lube, etc.

So I ended up using two short pieces of the Gates hose and the VW metal elbow, and the four factory hose clamps. And now I have extra in case the Super Beetle ever needs filler hose. Finished, success !!!

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

I cut the hose with a hacksaw, and used diagonal cutters to cut the two wire reinforcements.

I think if one really wants to use a single piece of this filler tube, it might be better to remove the gas tank mounting bolts and attach the hose first with clamps, then try to get the gas tank back into position. I'd start with about 12.25 inches and cut back in 1/4 inch increments.

My tank had too much gas in it for me to attempt that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 31

Jump to: