Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken clutch tube symptoms?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Broken clutch tube symptoms? Reply with quote

Should there be any movement at all of the ‘manifold’ where the clutch and throttle cables enter/exit the tunnel at the rear of the pan?
I am unable to get into a gear.
I am seeing movement there when depressing the clutch pedal, and engine revs when depressing clutch pedal (!) because it is affecting throttle cable position.
I have just put in a 2l with Kennedy stage 1 clutch and suspect a broken clutch tube.
Any other things I should consider?

Thanks everyone.
snj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken clutch tube symptoms? Reply with quote

Not quite sure what you mean by manifold, but the metal clutch cable tube that runs through the chassis should not be moving. The clutch tube on my 1965 Variant broke off at the rear and I had to weld it back up. I made a little bracket at the same time so that the tube would be supported at both the top and bottom. I did it with the body off and it was still a pain. Later cars (1966-on, I believe? Definitely by 1968) have a better design back there.

The other thing that comes to mind is transmission mounts. The front mount failed on my 1963 Bug and caused similar symptoms.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
madjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Broken clutch tube symptoms? Reply with quote

Thanks. I found a broken old repair of clutch tube at the back of the tunnel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: