Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 346, 347, 348 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Pulled the heads off, installed "cool tin". Reassembled.

https://youtu.be/k4D4rugND78

Cool tins are no good. Use the stock type1 tins.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

If this was a stock style installation, I would agree. It isn't. With an aftermarket fan shroud and no lower sled tins, I suspect these will actually improve the cooling. Hell, even Bob Hoover liked them though he bitched about the quality of the aftermarket ones too.

I could be wrong too. I'm willing to accept that. I'll evaluate these on the Baja, and decide if I want to keep them or switch when I move it to the 64. Which *will* have all the cooling tins in place.

Worst thing that happens? I end up with warped cylinders or a sunken valve. Both things are (relatively) easily resolved when I move it to the 64.
ShaneS2992
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Changed the transmission oil with Lucas 80w90 and I could feel the difference the first time I shifted from 1st to 2nd!

Oil change, shift rod bushing and, valve adjustment are next when jbugs finally delivers the bushing and oil strainer gasket!

Just bought the 70' bug on 05-05-18 and, want to get the services on my own schedule!

Thanks for all the shared knowledge thus far!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Adjusted my valves. Advanced my SVDa a little further, to the higher end of spec. Filled up with some premium.
joshlm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Adjusted the PSI on my tires. They were 32 in the front and 36 in the back. Changed it to the 21/29 recommendation. It feels so weird cause I’m used to running 32 all around on my daily driver Honda. At first it felt like the front tires were flat at only 21 PSI. But the ride does feel less bumpy.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced my non-functional thermostat (left) with a good one (right):

Installed and adjusted on engine:

Thermostat flap arm now properly pushed to the left with engine cold:

and warm air flap in air cleaner snorkel pushed closed:

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
ShaneS2992
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I didn't do anything today but, I noticed my first thumbs up as well as a head nod by people passing by or stopped at redlights so I figured that may be worth noting...

Tomorrow I'll finally get the oil strainer gaskets and, shift rod bushing so they'll be done tomorrow..
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Well, I heard a radio advertisement and Jan from Toyota said this was the unofficial start of summer. So I put the top down on my 1971 VW Convertible, attached the boot, and drove it to Home Depot, the bank, and a garage sale. Ran great.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

The shop called and let me know progress on the transmission rebuild and the guys had a few questions too on what option/route I wanted to take regarding an issue.

Does that count? Laughing
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Detailed it, ready for sale on Sunday...or maybe I'll keep it....So confused..! Confused

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

washed and waxed my 1974 sahara beige Super:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Detailed it, ready for sale on Sunday...or maybe I'll keep it....So confused..! Confused

Shocked for sale?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Yep..

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Yep..

Reason?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I got the itch for a '73-'75 Super, preferably w/a sunroof...hard to find, but I can't add a 3rd Bug. Too much time and money and no space. But who knows...i'm getting cold feet just thinking about it. I may end up changing my mind.

And the yellow '74 Super w/a sunroof in the samba adds may be better than it looks. Can't get the guy to call back w/a time for one of the other samba regulars to give a thorough go-over. May be hiding something.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I lubed the hood release cable on my 1971 convertible today; last night Mrs. Cusser and I drove it to The Creek restaurant at Tatum and Dynamite for dinner, had a good time. On the return, an SUV stopped at the light and rolled down the window, and the gals screamed "we love your car". So I told them I've owned it from before they were born !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
webbracing03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: wash defrost shifter ect. Reply with quote

spent the weekend washing vacuuming and shining up the bug. Installed floor heater vents replaced all the defroster tubing and sealed up some holes under the hood. touched up some hardened wiring with new wires looking to get the carb replaced soon no matter what i do i seem to have some flat spots on the low end when hitting the gas. time for a new carb. tossing up a supercharged build this winter Also did a custome threaded insert for the new shifter Blue Bug VW Logo

enjoy my tiny shop. TS Logo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: wash defrost shifter ect. Reply with quote

webbracing03 wrote:
... looking to get the carb replaced soon no matter what i do i seem to have some flat spots on the low end when hitting the gas. time for a new carb...

If you still have this distributor, it appears to be the 009. It's notorious for flat spots. Find out what was the stock distributor for your year's carb & distributor combo and install that. Flat spots will probably go away then.

Thread with the carb/distributor listing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095
webbracing03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

i do i will take a look in to that thank you!
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I did a bunch a front end work on my 73 Super over the past few days. New bushings, tie rod boots, resealed/refreshed the steering box, new steering damper, new ball joints.

Now my blinkers turn themselves off after a turn, they didn't before. We'll call it a win, I guess.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 346, 347, 348 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 347 of 449

Jump to: