Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New car prices today, why so expensive?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
oprn wrote:
We have 6 cars in the yard now with AC (you can't pick the options on a used car) and 2 of them the AC works. I have been quoted $1000 each just for a recharge, more if they need parts. That's $4000 for something I might use 6 times in a year.

Did you put in too many digits?
It's around $100 here.

Everett, down in the valley where you live does that $100.00 include evacuate and check if it holds a vacuum, charge and check for leaks?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
WiFi... Great, now it'll get hacked and your clothes won't be washed right

How about a refrigerator that has WiFi, a camer inside and a app so you can see what's inside on your smartphone while shopping. You can also lookup recipes and buy things.

Oh, it's also voice activated.

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
It's around $100 here.

The shop door rates here are all around $120/hr EverettB. My AC guy tells me he will not recharge a system that has leaked down without changing the dehydrator as the desiccant in it will be contaminated with moisture. He also drains the oil in the system and refills it with fresh lube. With the cost of the new dehydrator, oil, refrigerant and close to a 1/2 a day labour with leak checks etc. you are getting close to $1000 without any additional hoses, seals or other parts.

You are not getting a very thorough job for your $100...
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
EverettB wrote:
It's around $100 here.

The shop door rates here are all around $120/hr EverettB. My AC guy tells me he will not recharge a system that has leaked down without changing the dehydrator as the desiccant in it will be contaminated with moisture. He also drains the oil in the system and refills it with fresh lube. With the cost of the new dehydrator, oil, refrigerant and close to a 1/2 a day labour with leak checks etc. you are getting close to $1000 without any additional hoses, seals or other parts.

You are not getting a very thorough job for your $100...

That's something new for me "dehydrator". Here in the states we call it a "Receiver-Dryer". BTW, you can sometimes pump life into old Receiver - Dryers by popping them into a 600 degree oven for a couple of hours to bake out any moisture.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
EverettB wrote:
oprn wrote:
We have 6 cars in the yard now with AC (you can't pick the options on a used car) and 2 of them the AC works. I have been quoted $1000 each just for a recharge, more if they need parts. That's $4000 for something I might use 6 times in a year.

It's around $100 here.

Everett, down in the valley where you live does that $100.00 include evacuate and check if it holds a vacuum, charge and check for leaks?

I have no clue and have never asked what they do, I can't remember every having to get A/C recharged on any of my wife's cars.

I actually thought it was cheaper but I did a Google search for "AZ car A/C service" and took one of the top prices from here:
https://www.pepboys.com/service/preventive_maintenance/ac_services/

Quote:

This sounds different - It sounds like a full repair, not just a recharge.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Helfen wrote:
EverettB wrote:
oprn wrote:

It's around $100 here.

I have no clue and have never asked what they do, I can't remember every having to get A/C recharged on any of my wife's cars.

I actually thought it was cheaper but I did a Google search for "AZ car A/C service" and took one of the top prices from here:
https://www.pepboys.com/service/preventive_maintenance/ac_services/

Quote:

This sounds different - It sounds like a full repair, not just a recharge.

That’s a shop that’s screwing its customers. It must be one of those shops that has more managers than mechanics or that’s their “go away” price to sort out the suckers from the cheap asses.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

For way less than 1000 I can replace the compressor the dryer all the seals flush, oil and recharge the system. Somebody is getting hosed.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

Agree with Everett - Phoenix area price for evacuation of refrigerant to weigh the amount (the only real way to determine if fully charged), addition of some UV dye, and refill to correct amount of refrigerant is under $150.

My mom had this done on her 2005 PT Cruiser a few years ago at local repair shop I used, and I had this done on my 1988 Mazda truck (still R-12) 2 years ago at same shop.

Shops should NOT charge for full refrigerant fill - like if shop recovers 24 oz and the system holds 32 oz, then shop should only charge you for the additional 8 oz refrigerant.

I typically do all my own AC work, but I do not have the capability to add UV dye to a system that already contains refrigerant, should have added it before I filled it a couple of years prior.

If there's still refrigerant in the system, some AC experts will say not to replace the drier or accumulator. I replaced the compressor in our 2005 Yukon a couple of years ago (due to compressor slugging and breaking AC belt) and I did NOT replace the accumulator as there was no refrigerant loss. I also did not flush out any lines or replace the condenser as one would do with a seized compressor.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

Looks like you fellows were right! I checked with another shop and they told me their base price with no parts starts at $200 taxes in.

Good thing I didn't need it bad enough to take it to those other guys...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
WiFi... Great, now it'll get hacked and your clothes won't be washed right

Laughing

right? how about the fridge with the tv in it? I mean, come on.

here is something I saw a while ago. a MB shop posted this on a closed forum I belong to.

Link

so, the jist is they ping your transponder or "smart" key making it think the car is within distance.

the dude at the garage has the "reader" and the guy by the 1/4 panel is relaying this info to the cars antenna. boom...car wakes up, thieves drive away.

"hey alexa...start my, aw shit....hey alexa...what's the bus schedule" Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I have been in the automotive business for 30+ years now (f#ck me) and here is my take....

i thought you weren't even forty yet? Is this in 'mechanic years'?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Here’s some food for thought. It’s ok to buy a stripper model but you better plan on keeping it forever or be prepared to get way less at resale time. One thing you could do to lessen the sticker shock of buying automobiles is buy used. What’s wrong with paying half or less for a low mileage 5 to 7 year old car? I bought a car which retailed for nearly 50k and payed 13k, get over the I gotta have new sickness.

x2 Zund.

My daily is a 11 year old 2007 Mazda6. Bought it in 2012 (when it was 5 yrs old w 99k on the odometer- $8k) After a few years, it was paid off and I've been driving around-no car payment- in a comfortable cruiser, which I will run until the wheels fall off or parts are NLA.

The moment you sign the title on that new car- instantly it is now "used" and has depreciated 10% (or more).
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Here’s some food for thought. It’s ok to buy a stripper model but you better plan on keeping it forever or be prepared to get way less at resale time. One thing you could do to lessen the sticker shock of buying automobiles is buy used. What’s wrong with paying half or less for a low mileage 5 to 7 year old car? I bought a car which retailed for nearly 50k and payed 13k, get over the I gotta have new sickness.

x2 Zund.

My daily is a 11 year old 2007 Mazda6. Bought it in 2012 (when it was 5 yrs old w 99k on the odometer- $8k) After a few years, it was paid off and I've been driving around-no car payment- in a comfortable cruiser, which I will run until the wheels fall off or parts are NLA.

The moment you sign the title on that new car- instantly it is now "used" and has depreciated 10% (or more).

Yes I get it, so gas prices are rising here and wife is pushing me to get rid of my 95 Lincoln town car. AC is out on it windows are all inoperable and the heater is broken because the blend door is seized and it needs front end work other than that it’s a cherry. We spied a one owner low mile 08 Prius, I’m cruising another hybrid 5th one for me I know them well enough. This one is also a highly optioned touring edition car with JBL audio, leather seats and Nav. Goodbye Lincoln I’m all in at 75%off the original sticker price. Hell ya. Very Happy
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
We spied a one owner low mile 08 Prius, I’m cruising another hybrid 5th one for me I know them well enough.Very Happy

So does this make you a "Pria" owner or a "Priuses" owner?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

I learned back in '76 to never buy a new car again. Let someone else take the hit (10% is pretty conservative) just to drive it home for the first time. Then there is all the warranty hassles, driving back and forth to the dealer, fighting over whether this is covered, that is working properly or not, who pays what...

I buy them at about 3 years old. The biggest depreciation hit has been taken and they have enough time on them to prove if they are a lemon or not, then I run them for 10 or so years. That to me is where you get the best value for your dollars.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

the price is what it is because of the morons who pay that....well mostly the socalled super hero foot ballers,bastit ball, & other useless million dollar paid dip shits. Wink .
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I have been in the automotive business for 30+ years now (f#ck me) and here is my take....

i thought you weren't even forty yet? Is this in 'mechanic years'?

Been in a shop since I was 8....so....I've been around....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I learned back in '76 to never buy a new car again. Let someone else take the hit (10% is pretty conservative) just to drive it home for the first time. Then there is all the warranty hassles, driving back and forth to the dealer, fighting over whether this is covered, that is working properly or not, who pays what...

I buy them at about 3 years old. The biggest depreciation hit has been taken and they have enough time on them to prove if they are a lemon or not, then I run them for 10 or so years. That to me is where you get the best value for your dollars.

Between my wife and me we own 4 vehicles, a 1960 Porsche 356 Roadster, a 1964 Porsche 356 coupe, a 1996 Toyota T100 4x4, and a 2000 Toyota Avalon (one guess as to which one is hers). The only one bought new was the Roadster. By my dad. As long as you do the basic maintenance and have a good mechanic (getting harder to find for the 356s) these cars will run almost forever. Wink
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

That’s a perfect model for lowest cost of ownership

We got our 99 T5 at one year old because no one wanted a high presssure turbo stick. I’m still driving it.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Simply because society now can't be 'disconnected' or 'inconvienced' in any way shape or form.

There are cheap cars, but people don't like them. Not enough power, too small, not enough gadgets, etc.

A few examples of decent, cheap cars. Several of which are on the chopping block to stop being sold in the USA because everybody wants some gigantic SUV that could be mounted with a 50 cal chain gun and used in a warzone.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/mirage/2018 (13k)
https://www.ford.com/cars/fiesta/ (14k)
http://www.chevrolet.com/cars/spark-city-car (13k)
https://www.toyota.com/yaris/ (15k)
http://shop.honda.com/civics.aspx (18K)

+1. OP, the Mitsubishi Mirage is like the pet car of EcoModder. It's super bare bones and good on gas mileage. Depending on your area, you might even be able to find a used one under $10k!

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: