Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Electric Issue with Autometer Oil Pressure
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AceHH
Samba Member


Joined: April 24, 2014
Posts: 71
Location: Between Hamburg and Haiti
AceHH is offline 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Electric Issue with Autometer Oil Pressure Reply with quote

I have an Oval with an Autometer Oil Pressure metric 0-7 bar.
My Question, can I use a Sensor 0-10bar?
Because I want also the Warninglight in my Speedo.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member


Joined: October 02, 2006
Posts: 20979
Location: Hot Arizona
Cusser is offline 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Issue with Autometer Oil Pressure Reply with quote

I would think it would be OK. Your readings might be slightly off from what they'd be with a matched sender, but you're only looking for guidelines/changes.

I have a VDO oil pressure sender/gauge in mine, typically for me its value would be to alert me if oil pressure suddenly was significantly lower or higher than "normal".

With engine warmed up, I get about 10 psi for each 1000 rpm.
_________________
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2005 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AceHH
Samba Member


Joined: April 24, 2014
Posts: 71
Location: Between Hamburg and Haiti
AceHH is offline 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Issue with Autometer Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I would think it would be OK. Your readings might be slightly off from what they'd be with a matched sender, but you're only looking for guidelines/changes.

I have a VDO oil pressure sender/gauge in mine, typically for me its value would be to alert me if oil pressure suddenly was significantly lower or higher than "normal".

With engine warmed up, I get about 10 psi for each 1000 rpm.


People told me I must have a 7 Bar Sensor with a 7 Bar Instrument or a 10bar Sensor with an 10bar Instrument.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member


Joined: October 02, 2006
Posts: 20979
Location: Hot Arizona
Cusser is offline 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Issue with Autometer Oil Pressure Reply with quote

AceHH wrote:
People told me I must have a 7 Bar Sensor with a 7 Bar Instrument or a 10bar Sensor with an 10bar Instrument.

Here's how a sender works: as pressure increases, the contact against a resistance wire moves, changing the resistance (somewhat like a resistance changing in a fuel tank sender).

The gauge uses that resistance to determine how much the needle deflects.

For oil temperature, I use a VDO drain plug sender with an Autometer gauge, that's NOT a perfect match but it works.
_________________
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2005 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member


Joined: April 05, 2010
Posts: 6203
Location: Sunset, Louisiana
Q-Dog is offline 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Issue with Autometer Oil Pressure Reply with quote

AceHH wrote:
Cusser wrote:
I would think it would be OK. Your readings might be slightly off from what they'd be with a matched sender, but you're only looking for guidelines/changes.

I have a VDO oil pressure sender/gauge in mine, typically for me its value would be to alert me if oil pressure suddenly was significantly lower or higher than "normal".

With engine warmed up, I get about 10 psi for each 1000 rpm.


People told me I must have a 7 Bar Sensor with a 7 Bar Instrument or a 10bar Sensor with an 10bar Instrument.

Do you want the gauge to be accurate? I supoose they would not make 2 different senders, if they are interchangeable?
_________________
Brian

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AceHH
Samba Member


Joined: April 24, 2014
Posts: 71
Location: Between Hamburg and Haiti
AceHH is offline 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Issue with Autometer Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
AceHH wrote:
Cusser wrote:
I would think it would be OK. Your readings might be slightly off from what they'd be with a matched sender, but you're only looking for guidelines/changes.

I have a VDO oil pressure sender/gauge in mine, typically for me its value would be to alert me if oil pressure suddenly was significantly lower or higher than "normal".

With engine warmed up, I get about 10 psi for each 1000 rpm.


People told me I must have a 7 Bar Sensor with a 7 Bar Instrument or a 10bar Sensor with an 10bar Instrument.

Do you want the gauge to be accurate? I supoose they would not make 2 different senders, if they are interchangeable?


Nearly accurate would be enough.
Is it really true, that a 10bar Sensor will not work with that gauge?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member


Joined: September 05, 2012
Posts: 709
Location: NC
windfish is offline 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Issue with Autometer Oil Pressure Reply with quote

AceHH wrote:
I want also the Warninglight in my Speedo.


You can use a T and have both the stock switch and the gauge sender

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


iirc the stock switch turns on the gauge light at ~3psi, and most of the dual senders activate it at ~7-10psi

As Cusser said, there's no reason the 10bar sender wouldn't work with the 7bar gauge, it just wont be accurate.
Depending on the gauge it may even read backwards, just depends on the resistance values it's set for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member


Joined: April 05, 2010
Posts: 6203
Location: Sunset, Louisiana
Q-Dog is offline 

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Issue with Autometer Oil Pressure Reply with quote

AceHH wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
AceHH wrote:
Cusser wrote:
I would think it would be OK. Your readings might be slightly off from what they'd be with a matched sender, but you're only looking for guidelines/changes.

I have a VDO oil pressure sender/gauge in mine, typically for me its value would be to alert me if oil pressure suddenly was significantly lower or higher than "normal".

With engine warmed up, I get about 10 psi for each 1000 rpm.


People told me I must have a 7 Bar Sensor with a 7 Bar Instrument or a 10bar Sensor with an 10bar Instrument.

Do you want the gauge to be accurate? I supoose they would not make 2 different senders, if they are interchangeable?


Nearly accurate would be enough.
Is it really true, that a 10bar Sensor will not work with that gauge?


Personally, I don't see the value of an innacurate gauge. Sometimes bad information is worse than no information. Wink

Someone, somewhere, must have the resistance values for these senders. I would contact the manufacturer and ask: 1) what is the difference between the two, 2) will the wrong sensor work.

Alternatively, why not just get the gauge that matches the sensor you want to use?
_________________
Brian

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2018, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB