Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings.....
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings..... Reply with quote

.....without taking anything apart.

I wanted to be able to grease these bushings on a regular basis, since the clutch pedal sees a lot of use on our buses.

I asked my friend Tim (he's an engineer at my workplace) who has a good machining setup in his home garage and plenty of know how to drill some grease passages in the clutch pedal shaft on my '56 panelvan.

The main passage is .140" diameter and is drilled about 3" deep into the shaft. The two smaller passages that feed the two bushings are .112" diameter and intersect the main passage pretty much in the center of each bushing. A 90-degree zerk fitting pointing straight down allows you to get the grease gun in there without interference.

Thanks a bunch for helping me out on this little project Tim, much appreciated!

Bart

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings..... Reply with quote

Good idea. Not sure if absolutely necessary, depending on use, climate, terrain, etc., but definitely a good upgrade, if nothing else but for piece of mind and ease of preventetive maintenance.

I recently bought a handbrake pin with grease for the above reasons. This might have to go on the "try it" list. Thanks for the detail on measurements and pictures. Pretty cool to see something different that makes sense!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings..... Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Good idea.

Plus I would have never thought about going through the pin.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings..... Reply with quote

From some of my reading here on the forums I learned that some of the earliest buses had grease fittings on the pedals. I've owned early bugs that had a grease fitting on the pedal assembly, so I wanted to try to add that feature to my bus on the clutch pedal at least since it gets a good workout.

So I checked out the clutch pedal bushings in the frame and it looked like way too much trouble to try to install grease fittings there, no easy access. You'd have to drill big holes in the frame just to get access, a no-go for me. Even if you did put the fittings there you'd have to remove the pedal pan to lube them.

Drilling a hole 3" deep into the end of the clutch pedal shaft isn't an easy task unless you have the right equipment and experience. Lucky for me I was able to get a favor from a friend who is not only a car guy but an experienced machinist with the right cutting tools and equipment in his home shop. He even supplied the grease fitting! Cool

Now to figure out how to replace the pedal bushings. I'm waiting for my Bentley manual to arrive in the mail, hopefully the factory procedure for bushing replacement is outlined in there somewhere.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings..... Reply with quote

b-man wrote:
...Drilling a hole 3" deep into the end of the clutch pedal shaft isn't an easy task unless you have the right equipment and experience. Lucky for me I was able to get a favor from a friend who is not only a car guy but an experienced machinist with the right cutting tools and equipment in his home shop. He even supplied the grease fitting!

I would say the process is not for the faint of heart or shed-tree mechanic, given the OD of the pedal shaft and the depth of the hole to drill. Well done, though, finding a simple, albeit skill-intensive way to keep it greased. On the other, I have to first re-attached a threaded portion to my clutch pedal, since the PO had welded the clutch cable lever directly to the shaft ahaha. All this before I could even consider drilling a 3" hole. Take care.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings..... Reply with quote

b-man wrote:

Now to figure out how to replace the pedal bushings.

I used a nasty old socket and extension to drive the old out and a soft faced hammer to drive the new bushings in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings..... Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
b-man wrote:

Now to figure out how to replace the pedal bushings.

I used a nasty old socket and extension to drive the old out and a soft faced hammer to drive the new bushings in.

I'll probably ask my friend to turn an installation tool for me on his lathe made from some mild steel round stock. Something about 8" to 10" long that's slightly smaller in diameter than the bushing o.d. by about .010" with a stepped pilot about an inch long that's close in size to the i.d. of the bushing.

Just kind of curious to see what tool was used by the VW repair techs, but I'm guessing it will be similar to the bushing driver that I'll have to make.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings..... Reply with quote

I think at some point vw added a grease fitting to the frame at that point and then dropped it again. Might be ‘58-‘60 that got it? I forget exactly. Seems like a good idea.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings..... Reply with quote

Pretty sure my April 60 bus has the clutch greasing nipple you are referring to
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCZ9-1-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings..... Reply with quote

Scott at PedalWerks had put together a nice bushing replacement kit and I used it to do mine. Worked great.
http://www.pedalwerks.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings..... Reply with quote

reference pics of the factory zerk location (if so fitted)

62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings..... Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
reference pics of the factory zerk location (if so fitted)

For the sake of consolidation, do you know when the factory installed zerks there, say, up to Chassis# or export location, whatever? References? Thanks, Jon, or whoever knows!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Greasing your clutch pedal shaft bushings..... Reply with quote

as noted my april 60' bus has the factory grease zerk - not sure when it was discontinued
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: