Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOS 28 PICT 1
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

A while ago I bought a NOS 28 PICT 1 carburetor in Sweden.
Still in the original VW box, not a refurbished one, the metal label number is 113 129 023 H and does not end on an X (exchange).
My old 28 PICT 1 is due for revision and now I want to use the new one.
The NOS probably has been on the shelf for several decades.
Would I try the carburetor or is it advisable to first open it and possibly clean it?

Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

As effortless as it would be to take a look inside, why not look? My only real concern would be the pump diaphragm... is it still pliable? Give it a shake and listen for the check balls ratttling around as well...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

I was in the same situation just a few years ago for my '63. Pulled out the NOS and mounted it straight away. Never had a problem with it. Sure adjusted nice too.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

If that is the carburetor I think you will be fine to run it as-is since it probably never had gas in it.

I would keep an eye on it in case the seals or the accelerator pump leak or fail due to age.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.
Yes, it is the photo of the carburetor.
I gave it a shake and can hear the balls.
I will try without opening the carburetor and paying attention to any leaks.

Regards.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

The only thing I did was re-torque the screws when I installed mine.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

""The only thing I did was re-torque the screws when I installed mine.""

Yes, I have already done this.

Regards.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

I will check everything.

If you simply install it, that has been inactive and dry for years, you may have fuel passages locked or leaking and you could not have conscious about this because the car should run also with minor carb problems.

But you should have an engine with 80% of power or 20% more consuming.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
I will check everything.

If you simply install it, that has been inactive and dry for years, you may have fuel passages locked or leaking and you could not have conscious about this because the car should run also with minor carb problems.

Its NOS - never had fuel in it. Nothing to clog it or gum it up. This brings up a point about things like diaphragms....Do they deteriorate over time if never used or exposed to sunlight?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
herbie1200 wrote:
I will check everything.

Its NOS - never had fuel in it. Nothing to clog it or gum it up.

This is incorrect. Almost all devices, from elementary ones to cars and airplanes, is TESTED once is finished, sometimes also for a final phase of tuning.

A carburetor is not so a simple device (as could be, for example, an hammer), so with 99% of probability it has been tested and tuned by its factory; perhaps with a neutral fluid instead of fuel, but you cannot be sure its duct have never had fluid in them.

Think about the idle mixture screw: probabily, in a NOS unit, is already in the right position. The only way to tune it is to fill carburetor with some fluid and check the flow.

AND some ducts in the 28PICT1 are only for air, not fuel, and I found them clogged... air is everywhere, humidity too.

The same for bulbs (they are switched on before selling) and engines and generators.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

Yes, who knows? 'Think'

As you can see in the picture, there is still a plastic dust cover at the top of the carburetor.
Underneath and also on the underside when operating the throttle valve, there are no signs of oxidation.
If I open it, there is a chance that the seals / diaphragms might tear.
Soon I will try the carburetor first without opening it.
And see what happens.
If nothing is wrong and no leaks, I have at least original Solex parts, seals and diaphragms.
In case of a problem, I can still open the carburetor.

Regards.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

Keep it unused in the box, then sell it to a collector who will keep it unused in the box. For what you may get for it, you might be able to afford a nice set of newer dual carbs!

Make sure the fuel inlet pipe has not come loose. See link below on engine fires and safety wires. The carb body can experience creep and open up the press fit hole for the inlet pipe, even if kept new in the box.

Nice look carb, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
This brings up a point about things like diaphragms....Do they deteriorate over time if never used or exposed to sunlight?

I've used an NOS accelerator diaphragm in the past, it seemed perfect and I didn't seem to have any issues using it.

They definitely deteriorate if used and left to sit.
I had an accelerator pump flake apart and clog up my carb.
It still pumped as it wasn't rock hard but all the little pieces clogged a bunch of passages so it was super hard to start and wouldn't idle.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

If I was set on using it, I would put fuel in it and test the accel pump before installing it. Really, with a third of the bowl full, the accelerator pump should be able to prime and start spraying with just a few strokes of the throttle arm. (I might smack the carb on the counter a few times and shake it beforehand and listen for the check balls rattling around and not stuck in place) It might still work fine. Now, I always try to empty out carbs that I set aside 'ready to go' that I've ran, by pumping the throttle arm until the accel pump stops squirting. If this isn't done, that fuel sitting in there can do some bad things over long stretches of time. But a supposedly NOS carb, I would not be as worried over.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

Thanks.
The Bug has been converted to 12V.
The NOS carburetor has a 6V choke.
First I wanted to use the 12V choke of my old carburetor but this is a repro.
I found a Solex NOS VW 12V choke 113 129 191G in Switzerland and wait until it arrives.
Most VW suppliers say that the 113 129 191G can be used for 30-34 PICT carburetors.
But it also fits on the 28 PICT1 and 2 with late / metal choke style.

Regards.

Last edited by Ovally on Fri May 18, 2018 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

The "-1" part of 28 PICT-1 refers to the revision of the choke heating element. Any subsequent PICT-1, PICT-2 or PICT-3 choke heating element will fit in there, 6V or 12V. (the multi-piece style early chokes interchange with the modular style later used)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.

Last edited by glutamodo on Fri May 18, 2018 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

Thanks Andy for the information. Very Happy

Regards, Armand
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

Before you install the carburettor check the play in the throttle shaft. The reason I say this is I bought two new Solex 28 Pict carburettors a few years ago and with both units there is significant movement in the throttle shaft (radially) - more than I find acceptable. These are new carburettors with no sign whatsoever of being used or installed. The only explanation is bad manufacturing quality from the original manufacturer.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

Thanks.
Meiang wrote:
Before you install the carburettor check the play in the throttle shaft. The reason I say this is I bought two new Solex 28 Pict carburettors a few years ago and with both units there is significant movement in the throttle shaft (radially) - more than I find acceptable. These are new carburettors with no sign whatsoever of being used or installed. The only explanation is bad manufacturing quality from the original manufacturer.

""The only explanation is bad manufacturing quality from the original manufacturer.""

Maybe but it is excluded that an official VW dealer would have sold carburetors with too much play in the throttle shaft.
I have 2 NOS carburetors: a 28 PCI as spare part for my Oval and bought at a VW dealer in the late 80s and this 28 PICT-1.
Both have the same play on the throttle shaft : axially very little play and radial as good as no play.

Regards.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: NOS 28 PICT 1 Reply with quote

After the 12V NOS choke had arrived, I mounted the NOS carburetor.
Although there was no play on the fuel inlet pipe, I installed a safety wire for safety reasons.

No problem encountered, still works very well after so many years on the shelf.
After a test drive of 60 km, only a small adjustment of the fuel/air mixing and idle screw was necessary.
No leaks and completely dry. Very Happy

Regards.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: